Headphone Adapters

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Colu41, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Colu41

Colu41 Strat-Talk Member

I have a 40 watt Peavey Vip 2. I have multiple sets of headsets and earbuds, wired and wireless.
    But I'm looking for an adapter for Bluetooth that I can plug into the amp, and then connect a headset to that adapter.
    Everything I've found sounds like it works the other way around.
    I just want to be able to wear a headset or earbuds while playing and be more than 3 feet away from my amp.ol
    Any tips would be great!

fos1 likes this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

They may be different now but the last time I tried that there was about a half second lag in transmission that made it impossible to play. I wanted to use an x-mitter like that when I was playing in the P/W band at one of my old churches because I hated, still do BTW, the cord down my back. The lag threw me off so badly that I threw the BT transmitter in the trash after only 3 minutes of one rehearsal.
    This became my best friend
    16315773300312138951883854042970.jpg

3. Colu41

Colu41 Strat-Talk Member

Is that just an extension for your headphones?

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Yes sir. It stretches to 6 feet. I also have a couple straight 6 foot extensions too.

Bob the builder likes this.
  5. Colu41

Colu41 Strat-Talk Member

Nice. Never really thought about extensions, because I was too excited for wireless but, sounds like that isn't worth it. I'll take a look for some longer extensions! Thanks!

6. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

You are looking for a Bluetooth transmitter. They have been available for many years now. You will need a headphone out at your amp. If you don’t have one it gets way more complicated to try and get the signal from your speaker wire. Bluetooth transmitters are inexpensive but there will be some latency probably ranging from imperceptible to not acceptable.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  7. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry to inform you but your choice for a standalone wireless transmitter/receiver pair is not going to be cheap

Having said that:

Sennheiser RS-195 or the Flex5000 setup *may. be useful to you.

Also, haivng said that, I would literally buy some Boss Waza Air headphones for this exact specific purpose - or the sennheisers will also double as being useful for watching TV/movies etc without having speakers cranked.

8. StWall

StWall Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I did not know BT transmitters had latency issues. I have one arriving tomorrow (to make the headphones from my audio interface wireless). I hope my system falls into the "imperceptible" category.

9. MugHimself

MugHimself Strat-Talker

Extension all the way, I have a 25ft 3.5mm extension that I use. I use a wireless unit for my guitar output so it’s the only wire around and I can go anywhere in my playing space

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

If you go with "low latency Bluetooth" you will probably be OK as far as signal delay.

11. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Senior Stratmaster

@StWall Please let me know what your experience is with this BT because I've been thinking about doing this too.

LMSS

StWall likes this.
  12. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

StWall likes this.
  13. StWall

From the Amazon ad: "To achieve low latency (<40ms delay) receiving device (headphones / speaker) must also support aptX Low Latency or you may experience a 70-220ms delay. Most brands of headphones currently do not support aptX LL".

Apparently the headphones will be the latency driver for this particular BT transmitter.

upload_2021-9-15_15-9-8.png

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  14. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Bingo. In effect, it potentially converts a non-bluetooth to what you want. And remember, some of the $2 parts may last months instead of years, or they may fall apart after limited use.

15. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

Another option is to buy an irig or similar and use an amp sim on your phone? You can be anywhere then.

16. Likewood

Likewood Strat-Talk Member

At the beginning of the pandemic while working at home I splurged on this product. It is overpriced and many of the features seem unnecessary, but it is the best sounding quiet practice products. I have used Irig and other amp plug including plugging into input of amp.
    —-> The best part is no tangle of wires at all. Headphones and a transmitter plugged into guitar. It will also connect via Bluetooth to a music source.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-waza-air-wireless-headphone-guitar-amp/l72424000000000?cntry=US&cur=USD&utm_content=L72424000000000--Boss Waza-Air Wireless Headphone Guitar Amp

video here

17. StWall

I just hooked the BT transmitter to the headphone jack in my audio interface. I listened through the headphones and turned on the monitors. As I feared (after reading the spec on my JBL 510BT headphones) the latency sucks . . . totally useless for laying down tracks. I will probably try the (relatively inexpensive) Low Latency headphones below before I give up on wireless.

upload_2021-9-16_14-41-38.png

18. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Senior Stratmaster

WOW, well thanks for sharing this with us man.

LMSS

19. StWall

You're Welcome.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.