Headphones on Amp

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Janning, May 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

When its late at nite I have a cheap pair of Headphones I use. They are ok, but I'd like a bit more quality sound. Is anyone using Headphones they would recommend that sound good? AND don't cost a fortune? These would plug into my 20watt Bugera V22 Infinium or Boss Katana 50 MkII if that makes a difference

Cerb likes this.
  2. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

I got a pair of £50 Roland ones to plug into my Pod Go for night time.

Does the job.

3. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

works on ipod but what about into the AMP ?

4. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Well I just went through this. I really liked the sound of my old Sennheiser on-the-ear headphones but I wanted a longer cord. So I bought one of the brands and models of one of the ones recommended by a poster here when I asked a similar question about 6 months ago. And I hated them. Very bassy and my ears are killing me after 15 minutes. So then I bought a different set, same thing. Then I got smart and bought local and they sounded better but still all the ones I tried hurt my ears after a short time. So I took the local ones back and tried some cheap Sony ones that are like $20 at Best Buy, and they were on sale for $10. And they sound better than all of the ones I’ve tried, no matter what the cost :thumbd: . I don’t see a model number but they are black or white and don’t hurt my ears and sound pretty good!

You don’t say what type of phones you’re looking for.

But all the cheapies have short cords it seems so an extender is necessary for me. And they fit my big noggin
    47963658-D278-4212-8663-0420290FD1A6.jpeg

Wayne Adams and fos1 like this.
  5. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

You can plug headphones into the V22?

At any rate, check the deal of the day at Musicians Friend or Guitar Center every day. Once or twice a month they have some type of studio headphone marked way down. I myself have a pair en route, $149 marked down to $39, and I got another similar deal a couple years ago. I have no specific brand recommendation. For night night time practicing, a set of $150 phones will do a guy just fine whatever the brand is.

Studio headphones will also come with a 1/4" jack adapter.

6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I have the Sennheiser HD25. I really like them!

Kimex, Deafsoundguy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Sennheisser HD206. £25 here.

Cerb likes this.
  8. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

You know what?...I never wait my current cheap ones were bad.....I just want better. Why do I have the feeling the same thing that you just described is about to happen to me! Why didn't you get a cord extender for the Sennheiser ? Any I get, unless the cord is 20' I will need an extender. I'm half way thinking on going to wireless ones.

9. Blue Beagle

Who mentioned an iPod? o_O

A Pod Go is essentially a modelling amp minus the speaker...

Roca81 likes this.
  10. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

oh Pod go, what is that ?

11. Blue Beagle

8D58B8B8-7027-4CFD-8401-A78EDEEDF136.jpeg

The best £300 I ever spent on gear!

Use it as a modeller when a speaker or headphones are plugged in or simply a multi FX when plugged into a regular amp.

12. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

I got the AKG K240 on the advice of a friend. They are great. About a thousand times better than what I had before. These are open back, but I think there is a closed back version. They cost about $60.

13. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

Beyer DT 770 Pro is (for a reason) very popular and used by many musicians and studios.

14. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Senior Stratmaster

Koss. Inexpensive and sound good.

15. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

I am going to get an extender, but for now I changed my seating position and where my Fractal Axe2 is so it reaches but barely. I’ve just been lazy about getting an extender. Why would I change headphones? I love my Sennheisers but all the pleather has come off the ear pieces and leaves little black things on my cheeks and ears :confused: . So really it was about that as much as cord length. While I HATE Sennheiser as a company, I like their headphones best. Which is weird because I hate most of their microphones and longevity ( short).

I don’t think you can get actual wireless headphones for your guitar setup. You’d have to have a Bluetooth transmitter too, which exist, but from what I’ve read, the transmission can’t keep up with guitar playing. I could be wrong about that, I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m incorrect. When headphones say they’re wireless it just means they have the ability to be used with Bluetooth devices like your iPod, etc . My first set of phones were like that, look really nice, sound like crap.

16. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

You can get wireless the transmitter will plug in where headphones usually go Sennheiser do that, but I wouldn't because you will constantly be messing with the controls trying to get a good signal.
    As well try and find something that is comfortable for long periods of wear, especially if you wear glasses.

17. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-O-Master

7E217E86-A7BA-489E-9343-0061826F47F3.jpeg
    Yep, that’s what I use too. They have great sound and response and never get uncomfortable. The cord is pretty long and plugs into the unit so it can be replaced if damaged. They are semi open so if you want closed back phones, they’re not for you. Currently listing for USD $54 at Sweetwater. Rated 4+ in over 260 reviews at SW.