Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Heard my classical break A string last night

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by jaybones, Oct 14, 2017.

1. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Had it laying in its open case next to my chair, open window behind me enjoying a cool breeze off the lake (NE cold front coming through), when SPROING! I knew what had happened.

Before living in year round climate controlled housing this guitar would break a string untouched with the change of seasons. Winter/spring and summer/fall. Figured it was humidity causing wood to swell, stretching the string beyond their tensile strength and the other day when I was changing my other guitars I saw a set of nylons. Remembered I hadn’t changed them in a while and put it on my to do list.

Usually it’s a higher thinner string, never had an A break before. And never witnessed this phenomenon.

Luckily I had a backup set. Usually only have 1 extra since these last longer and don’t break from playing,

2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Your cat plays it when it thinks you are asleep, or something even weirder than I can come up with is going on.

TangerineDog likes this.

3. pj1440

pj1440 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Somerset, UK
    I have had wound nylon strings on a classical break when the guitar is just in its case doing nothing too. Odd isn't it, never seems to happen like that on steel strung.