Heavier gauges and wrist problems - Is there a strong correlation?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AznCaster, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

Yngwie uses something like .008-.048.

fattboyzz and Scott Baxendale like this.
  2. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Once you get lighter than .009s it’s all the same to me. When I met him I think he was using .009s? This was around 1988-89. I’m not even sure they sold .008 sets back then?….at least I never remember any suppliers selling them in those days.

3. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

I play 11-48s with no issue. I like the extra resistance when bending. I find it helps with my accuracy.

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-O-Master

This ^^^. :mad:

5. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

I played clubs for about 12 years using 52-13 bronze strings on a big Epiphone archtop guitar. Bending the strings took quite a bit of finger muscle but other than that nothing was a problem. I played 6 nights a week, sometimes 7 and I hosted a jam session for 8 years on Sat afternoons besides that. No wrist or finger problems at all.

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-O-Master

Well good for you! ;):D

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  7. Wayne Adams

Oh, sure - I was using .008-.038 sets as far back as '78 at least. Soon after that, I started building custom sets with a heavier low end, but i never saw a hybrid set as wide-spread as Yngwie's until his signature set came out a few years ago.

SalvorHardin and Scott Baxendale like this.
  8. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I worked in music stores from 1976 on and we never sold them in any store I worked in. I knew guys who would make up sets from individual strings but I never saw packaged sets that light. I do remember Ernie Ball sold a .0085 in a set called Ultra Slinky’s, I think? It was a long time ago. A .038 is more like a D string to me…haha.

Wayne Adams likes this.
  9. Wayne Adams

Yes, it was... One of the guys I played with some in college, early 1970s, used to take a .009-.042 set, throw away the B string, and replace it with another .009. By the time I started playing in bands instead of solo, around '76, things had opened up quite a bit, although you still couldn't always find what you wanted in the local stores. I was using Fenders at the time, and there was a little store in the next town that would order the .008 sets special for me, because I was the only person locally using them. Then around '80 or so, I discovered Maxima Gold Strings in .008-.038, and that same store would sell me those for the same price as the Fenders. Try getting a deal like that now!

I remember the Slinkies - one of my friends used the Super Slinkies, don't remember the gauge. .009, I think.

SalvorHardin and Scott Baxendale like this.
  10. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I thought that was Ringo... :D

11. hwy1strat

hwy1strat Strat-O-Master

I just HAD to…..
    I use .011-.052’s in standard tuning…

CBFF8914-219E-4EAD-8EE0-E9B35EDEF5A2.jpeg

GhostJam47 likes this.
  12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

In 1968 Ernie Ball introduced several lighter gauge sets, but nothing lighter that .008

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  13. AznCaster

AznCaster Strat-Talk Member

Thank you all for the insights, I really appreciate it. I have been considering hybrid sets as well and was wondering if the nut needs to be filed for a 0.52 to 0.54 gauge on the low e string?

14. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

With the common sense approach your taking and never pushing your hand beyond comfort zone you will be no worse . If your playing eight hours a day that is a different discussion.. I am not an m.d. and am not offering any medical advice. Just historical data I’ve collected.

AznCaster likes this.
  15. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Ever wonder why those classical players who are doing nearly inhuman feats of virtuosity on necks with two inch nuts manage to not writhe in agony (from wrist issues, not teachers with batons used to liberally enforce posture)...?

Ever notice that a classical player will hold the guitar such that the neck is angled to put the headstock up near the player's head, keeping the fretting arm and wrist and hand relatively straight?

The teacher with the baton I mentioned was mine, and he was draconian when it came to posture and finger position. He explained, as well as his non-existent English could, to my non-existent Spanish, that bad body posture, hand, and finger position would make for wrist and arm problems after only a few years.

If what I've witnessed in many of my friends is accurate, he was correct.

16. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Ahhh. Neither was I until a few weeks ago. He's got a Neverending catalog of music. Over 400 albums. He's quickly become my 2nd favorite guitarist. The man is a music making machine. And it's always good music. It's not like he puts out nothing but garbage. It's all great music normally.

17. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

I had hand issues and started playing lighter gauge strings
    8’s on a scalloped strat in E standard,and forced myself to develop a lighter touch

now days i run 8.5’s on that scalloped strat for practice and run Fender Voodoo child sets on my other strats 10-38 and that turned out prefect for me i dig the lighter low strings and can hold on to the 10 gauge highs much better for deep bends

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-O-Master

That's how I position it. It's even more comfortable for the picking hand.

vb14086 and rolandson like this.
  19. Eric1982

Eric1982 Senior Stratmaster

Lol. I really do like 9 gauge.

I would think if you're using ridiculously heavy-gauge over time it's certainly going to take a toll down the road.

I was almost a part of the develop carpal tunnel syndrome in honor of Stevie Ray Vaughan Club a while ago.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  20. billgwx

billgwx Strat-Talker

The single biggest factor for me with wrist problems has been neck profile. I have to strike balance between my playing style and how much I need to dig in to pull it off--too much of the latter and my wrist starts to complain. My Strat with '88 MIJ body came with a replacement Warmoth boat neck that was great for rhythm playing but impossible for lead work, had to go. I replaced it with another Warmoth neck with a thin profile, which is advertised to be Fender-like but I can tell you it's not, thinner than my Telecaster neck and different enough to give me lots of wrist trouble if I don't use a lighter touch. With LP's though I need that thinner 60s profile, perfect for me and still have to play with a lighter touch because its frets are so tall, digging in means going out of tune.