Heavier gauges and wrist problems - Is there a strong correlation?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AznCaster, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Nashkat

Nashkat Strat-Talk Member

Yup, you need to file the nut, otherwise the string will just sit on top and ppp out from time to time.

AznCaster likes this.
  2. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

I really dont think 11's will hurt you. They are only 10% bigger than 10's. When I was a kid, I wanted to use 11's because of SRV but they were too hard on my fingers. I settled on 10's for decades. My earlier experience might be due to high action on a crappy Memphis Strat. I think I have strong hands, but lately playing 10's all day makes my fingers tired. I was reluctantly thinking of going to 9's. But hearing from all you 11 users makes me think that if I lowered my action, I might be able to use 11's. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking that heavier strings would buzz less and allow me to lower the action a bit more.
    I think that proper exercise and even stretching your fingers might actually make a big difference. (things I never did) I think that you should go for it. You can always switch back.

3. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

Superglue is very handy if you cut your fingertip before a gig. It Will get you through a few songs, but then you have to re-apply it to make it through a few more. I, myself, dont get callusses anymore. My fingertips are soft but strong. Sometimes I overdo it and get blood blisters on them, but within a couple days they are better and stronger, but still soft. But I'm lucky. I can always switch to keys.

4. thegrasshopper

thegrasshopper Strat-Talk Member

When I changed from 10s to 11s I noticed the differences on my wrist... anyway, sometimes, I even suffered some pain with 10s. I think It has a lot of to do with erogonomics (how you hanlde the guitar, your body position, if you play stansing, how long your strap is...)

5. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

I feel the difference between 9s and 10s. After I made the full switch to 9s, I tried my daughter's guitar with tens on it and immediately started to feel why I went to 9s.

6. bignanoman

bignanoman Strat-Talk Member

I have used superglue on fingertips before - it works... but for other reasons

7. TN703800

TN703800 Strat-Talk Member

After he stopped doing drugs, I said to him, "You're playing 11's now. What happened to the big strings?" And he (SRV) said, "I stopped doing cocaine, so I can't do that anymore-I can actually feel my fingers now!"

Doyle Bramhall II