Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Heavy Metal Memories...

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by mshivy, Oct 2, 2015.

1. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Robins and joe_cpwe like this.

2. Strats4me

Strats4me Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2014
    Florida Panhandle
    oh crap i am sooooo jealous....i just "discovered" these guys 6 month ago...had heard of em, somehow never listened....i am loving their catalog!

joe_cpwe likes this.

3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    Discovered Saxon or UFO? I went for UFO, haven't seen them since '95 with Schenker. I own a lot of UFO from 70s and 80s. After how good they still are and how much I've always liked them I can see that skipping thier tours these past years has been an oversight on my part.

Saxon, I'm somewhat familiar with. I bought Denim and Leather new on vinyl back in the 80s. Have heard a few other tunes by them. But most of what they played tonighr I'd never heard. Clearly a heavier band live than UFO. Saxon was impressive, good early, old-style metal.

Robins likes this.

4. Strats4me

Feb 17, 2014
    Florida Panhandle
    Yea, I listen to UFO...they are great ...underrated.....it was Saxon I was referring to. I am finding out every album has different production and sound, but each stands on its own!...I wrote them off in the 80's as I young and stupid.

joe_cpwe likes this.

5. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    UFO is a favorite of mine and Saxon just gets better with age. From the classic denim and leather to there modern material ( like Terminal velocity) it just gets heavier.
    2 awesome bands.

Robins and joe_cpwe like this.

6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I had to ask. There was a 24yr old guy along with us into modern metal and had no idea who either band really was.
    Yours sounds like my story, I'll be digging into them a little more.

I don't know how much they tour the US. Vocalist said they hadn't been to Milwaukee since 2004. They had some core fans mixed in with UFO fans for sure.

7. Strats4me

Feb 17, 2014
    Florida Panhandle
    They never toured around here in Florida that I can remember...I hate that...I would love to be able to see bands like them and Krokus and Accept....all that European metal is great....

joe_cpwe and Robins like this.

8. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Strat-Talker

Jun 16, 2015
    South Carolina
    Here's a little something different. So there was a show that ran on Adult Swim called Metalocalypse by the guitarist and animator Brendon Small. The show is based on this fictional death metal band and the music was really played by Brendon Small himself. the songs are actually really good.

I decided to record a cover of one of their songs called "Thunderhorse". A bass player introduced me to this song a couple of years back and I was hooked from the moment I heard it. I told myself "Someday I'm gonna be able to play this" and I did. It's not perfect, but I didn't do too bad. Here's the video:

9. sam_in_cali

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Hell ya! Love Dethklok! Great job on that tune, you definitely did it justice \m/
    My kid is Dethklok fan too and doodled this a couple years back

IMG_2608.JPG

mshivy, CherokeeMist, Robins and 4 others like this.

10. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Good Work @CherokeeMist !!!

You could clearly hear your guitar, (though the recording is poor) & there's a lot of nice playing in there.

The color of the guitar is pretty cool too lol, it's the same as my acoustic.

Post more when you can,

Rastus

mshivy, CherokeeMist and Robins like this.

11. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Very cool @CherokeeMist! Dethklok is not easy stuff to play and you did a really nice job. You've got a really good right hand and that sounds like some clean sweep picking. Good stuff!

Let's hear more from you in here! \m/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    mshivy, CherokeeMist, Robins and 2 others like this.

12. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Main_epic.gif dethklok-awesome.gif dethklok2.gif

13. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    That was pretty sick! @CherokeeMist
    Great job. Persistence, time, discipline and effort. It all pays off in the end. Nice work!

14. Robins

Robins Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    ****ig great stuff @CherokeeMist \m/
    That proves Metal is not dead - we all know this but we are the degenerated Metal pack.

Life is good,
    Robin

15. CherokeeMist

Jun 16, 2015
    South Carolina
    I appreciate all of the feedback! I know it's not the best recording but out of the 4, it was the best one I had without too many mistakes.

abnormaltoy, chrimturn and mshivy like this.

16. CherokeeMist

Jun 16, 2015
    South Carolina
    The recording is poor, I"m sorry. I used a camcorder and played the song on my ps4 while playing through my small marshall amp cranked up. I plugged in my RP500 and set it to a really sweet overdrive setting with a compressor enabled. I used vegas to improve the film quality a bit and brighten the picture up and increase the volume of the video. I could have done more.

You like the guitar? It's my only les paul. Lol. I had too many strats and decided it was time to give in a get a les paul. I bought a copy online and my dad installed a set of humbuckers he wound. They are really good on clean and have a nice crunchy sound on distortion with heavy gauge strings.[/QUOTE]

17. CherokeeMist

Jun 16, 2015
    South Carolina
    I learned the Deththeme. I might record that or try to post a slipknot cover or two. Just got to get together the motivation to do it. Lol. Motivation is something I lack.

18. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

@CherokeeMist , great playing!
    Nice clean sweeps and lines in there. Very impressed, glad we have a young metal player here ripping it up

19. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    I remember seeing some of her other pics you posted (...along with your dolphin) on that art thread a while ago.
    She's a really talented artist. I mean c'mon...look at that...that's pretty darn good man. If she just doodled that like it was nothin', I'd like to see some of her serious stuff.

Bodean, Robins, mshivy and 1 other person like this.

20. sam_in_cali

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Thanks, I'll pass on your kudos to her. I posted a couple of her newer peices in my etc album

Bodean, Robins, mshivy and 1 other person like this.