1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Helix Modelers

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Stonetone, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Hello All just curious as to how many folks on this forum are modelers ? and the helix platform in particular
    I recently sold my Boss GT-100 and Headrush FRFR Cab for a Helix floor and a Powercab Plus, im just learning the functions and patch building ATM including snapshots and assigns, i must say im very impressed by this unit the tones and flexibility are absolutely awesome.
    So was curious as to how many active users there are here on this great forum :thumb:

Stone

2. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Four plus years and counting...it is a good bit of gear. Lots of info online now too, so it is a breeze to get rolling.

Stonetone likes this.
  3. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

I use a HX Stomp, so same thing just small formfactor. One of the coolest things I find about it is that you can assign say like a king of tone to a footswitch, you can also assign (or merge) another function to the same footswitch. So a lot of times what I will do is assign the King of Tone with lower gain settings and then assign a paramater (gain) to the same switch so when you press it again it's like turning on the second half of the pedal.

Heimdall, Boognish and Stonetone like this.
  4. Stonetone

Yes its Absolutely Awesome Sounding Once you Know how to Build a patch and Yeah So Much Info out There The amps are Fantastic the Effects are also awesome Im not sure in a blind A/B test Folks would be able to tell the difference :thumb:

5. Stonetone

Yeah the flexibility is just awesome endless Possibilities you dream it up and for sure you can create it !!!
    Right Now im Recreating the Heaven and Hell tone using the Friedman Souped up Marshal Amp (Placater) with a 4x12 Greenback and Using the Herminda Zen Drive In Front, and Wow Im Spot On For the rhythm My patch has 4 Snapshots and i have to say im Loving it !!

6. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Sign into custom tones on the line 6 website, and select Helix...you will find hundreds of presets there already built. Make sure they don't have IRs unless you want to get into reworking them, but there are hundreds ready to do. Just download and then set them up on your Helix...gets you plenty to play with. :)

https://line6.com/customtone/

7. Stonetone

Yup Saw that and Marketplace, True that Patches do Offer a form Of Blueprint That yo can Mod to make it to your Liking,yeah so many possibilities the Helix I bought cam Pre loaded with most of Glenn Delaune's artist and Amp Patches But Unfortunately Didn't have the One Im Working on ATM which is Heaven and Hell, So Building it Myself, in which its a great way to learn :)

8. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I used the Helix LT for quite a while then the HX FX. I still use the Helix Native VST for recording (software only version of the Helix). The GT-100 was great for it's time but very limited compared to Helix. IMHO the Helix even trumps the Boss GT-1000 for overall versatility though I do prefer the GT-1000 for harder rock sounds. Line 6 is really good about updates too. They are still releasing new firmware and there's almost always a new amp, cab or effect or two in each update. There's also a lot more to get into and understand on Helix than GT100. A great resource is Jason Sadites' channel on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvhdK4-QIzo76Y_RIbxZctg A ton of content and instructional videos on his channel.

Enjoy your new rig!!

panhandler1956 and Stonetone like this.
  9. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

i have tube amps but in 2016 i got a hd500x to mess around with.
    then last year i got a helix lt and a headrush frfr. i love it.
    i was in a band and played two shows running through foh.
    it sounds and feels like the real thing.

Blue Beagle, Nick-O and Stonetone like this.
  10. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

I foolishly haven't gotten into amp modeling much yet, but use a Helix for effects and for the integration with Variax. Here's a BTS video of the most elaborate show I put together with it.

gitapik, jtoomuch and Stonetone like this.
  11. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

Yep, got me a Helix LT about 2 months ago. I have only scratched the surface, but I like it so far.

ajb1965 and Stonetone like this.
  12. Stonetone

Ahh Yes the Guy Is amazing I have all his Parts to creating a great tone in My Que, while He Does Use the Helix Platform his Explanations as to how Effects, cabs and Mic's Work can Be applied to any Modelling Platform as they are Mostly the same

ajb1965 likes this.
  13. Stonetone

Yeah im pretty sure this is the way of the future as it makes sense economically, certainly puts a damper on any GAS you may have for effects or amps, no more power supply issues, not much to carry around and lug when you want to gig. and as you've said its getting really hard to discern the difference between their actual counterparts
    :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    jtoomuch and heltershelton like this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I used a Helix exclusively for about a year and a half. Then I switched to a Headrush(which I actually preferred)before switching again recently to a pedalboard of actual pedals feeding into a Strymon Iridium. I am loving the current setup.

Stonetone likes this.
  15. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

I've got a Pod Go (a small Helix in all but name).

Absolutely adore it.

RobZ69 and Stonetone like this.
  16. Stonetone

THis Site Gives Details Of everything In Helix 2.92 Update

https://helixhelp.com/models/1/4

The Selection of OD/Boost and Distortion is fantastic, Parameters match the exact Counterpart the only OD/Distortion pedal missing id think would be the Marshal Guv'nor
    maybe in a future Update ? :whistling:

17. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I don't use any hardware modelers but for casual practice and home use I pretty much exclusively use Scuffhams S-Gear on my MacBook now. Its sounds and feels pretty close to the real thing and there are plenty of well-made user patches and IR's etc and the digital time-based effects especially are stunning...

Stonetone likes this.
  18. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

I still use my GT-100...good enough for me :). I kinda stick with a handful of patches that I create. I hear lots of great things about anything Helix.

duzie, RobZ69 and Stonetone like this.
  19. Stonetone

Both GT-100 & Helix Are Great Units The main Difference Is More stuff On the Helix, More Updates, More Powerful Dual Processors and larger Community, as a GT-100 User i have Nothing Bad and all Good to say about the Unit, I switched to the Helix because I was Looking to Buy a Powercab and the Guy was selling his helix in a bundle at a ridiculously low price so i purchased both :)

BallisticSquid and RobZ69 like this.
  20. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

I used a Zoom G7.1ut for many years until the digital rotary encoders started to fail, rendering it all but unusable. It was capable of some very nice sounds. It's been on a shelf for almost a decade now. I tried it recently, but the LT is a lot better.

P.s. I have found replacement encoders for the Zoom recently, which I will try to solder in place as soon as I find the time. If successful, I'll flog it. :) It was great, but no match for the LT.

Stonetone likes this.