1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Helix Modelers

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Stonetone, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

I'm using Helix HX Effects but no amp modelers. I rather use my valve amps... but I get it

RobZ69 and Stonetone like this.
  2. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Use either my Helix or my PodGo for my weekly church gig. Very versatile. Really, really close to having a real amp miked to my ear (when properly set up).

I also have an HX Effects, but I don’t use it much, yet.

RobZ69 and Stonetone like this.
  3. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I was torn between the HX effects and the LT. Only reason I bought the LT in the end was the fact that I had 600 euro in gift certificates to spend.:)

I have yet to try the Helix in combination with one of my tube amps.

Stonetone likes this.
  4. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

I hated my HX FX on front end of my amp or with 4CM, just killed the way my amp responses to pick attack. I'm only using it in the look where it sounds just fine. Other people on L6 forum reported the same. I bet there is a way around it in deep settings but believe it or not - I'm a plug and play type of person. I may start using certain blocks of effects with midi switcher when I can kick off the front tone suck when the effects are not in use but first - I actually need to but that midi loop switcher first

5. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

So....sort of an irony. I was thinking about the Helix/Stomp after posting on here a few days ago or so, because at home I don't use it. Just for playing out. I built up a new pedalboard to go along with a Henry SRT+ amp and Hermida D cabinet that I've had...and have used that exclusively since covid shutdown. Sounded fantastic, huge.
    Figured I would plug in the Line 6 thru my PowerCab and see how close I could get it to the amp rig...I nailed it in less than 5 minutes, and actually might even be closer to what I was after. I am shocked. Saddened, because the amp rig represents a bunch of work and money and the Helix/Stomps been sitting here collecting dust for no good reason. Wow...:oops:
    Gobsmacked, to be polite.

didger, Boognish and RobZ69 like this.
  6. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Well Modeling is Getting So good Now its Very hard to tell the Difference and even If a slight small Difference Is it Worth all that Money for 1 amp 1 Pedal ? which BTW I really Love The Hermida Zen Drive Currently Using IT In Front Of that Wonderful Friedman BE100 with a 4x12 25 Greenback Cab, Got Me some real Awesome Heaven and Hell Tone From that Combo !!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Nick-O and duzie like this.
  7. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I just play here at the house and have fun doing it. I got a Vox AC-15 that I haven't used since last Christmas since I got the HX Stomp. That thing, to me, is amazing! I love how you can easily pick a cab, throw in some effects and get a completely different tone/sound then I had 5 mins before...and it will sound good! I recommended it to a buddy of mine and he blew it off. About a month later he borrowed mine and went out and bought one the next day.

Nick-O and Stonetone like this.
  8. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I just play here at the house and have fun doing it. I got a Vox AC-15 that I haven't used since last Christmas since I got the HX Stomp. That thing, to me, is amazing! I love how you can easily pick a cab, throw in some effects and get a completely different tone/sound then I had 5 mins before...and it will sound good! I recommended it to a buddy of mine and he blew it off. About a month later he borrowed mine and went out and bought one the next day.

9. Stonetone

The thing I really like about the Helix is the parameter settings match the exact same functions as the counterparts they were modelled after
    Like the Friedman BE100 which is essentially a souped up modded Marshall
    With modded circuitry like
    • BE channel - Gain, Master, Bass, Middle, Treble (shared with the HBE channel)
    • HBE channel - Gain, Master, Bass, Middle, Treble (shared with the BE channel)
    • Plexi channel - Gain, Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble and fat switch
    • C45 voicing switch (BE / HBE channel)
    • Saturation switch - adds saturation
    • Voice switch - varies top end response
    • Gain Structure switch - Lowers gain of BE / HBE channel
    • Goes to 11
    • :p
    • and you can hear the difference these parameters make based on other amp settings

• which I must say is just awesome :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    duzie likes this.
  10. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Goes to 11 :D

11. Stonetone

hahahaha yeah that’s just me wishful thinking lol

duzie likes this.
  12. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

I’ve been through a lot of things. Pod xt, original axe fx, various amps, then I landed on a kemper and it has spoiled me. I got a helix stomp to play around with but it just seemed inferior in every way to the kemper to me, so i returned it. I also picked up a cheap pod x3 rack unit and actually like that. It is clunky these days because it is not supported, but I got the control software working and I run it through a rack decimator and that makes it work for me. I think the built in noise gate isn’t very good while the kemper has a stellar noise gate. On the x3 rack I dialed in enough interesting things for when a 2nd guitarist is over while the kemper is pretty much endless with tons of free and people selling profiles of every amp imaginable. Those two units are all the guitar sounds I really need. I have some pedals too but rarely use them.

13. Stonetone

Well this is true as the Kemper profiler is higher end and more expensive, its the next level after the Helix ;)

14. gitapik

gitapik Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Great
    video. Only one problem:

I had my bigger board (not huge but covers the bases) revamped recently. Cioks power supplies. RJM Mastermind 6x switcher. Sounds are fantastic.

And now I see this...

Hadn’t seriously considered a Helix until recently. More compact than my board. More possibilities. But I do love my pedals. Been collecting buying/selling them for decades.

*Sigh*...NOW what...!?

15. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Yeah. I've got one smallish board with mostly Boss gear that I put together for basic gigs and one giant board that cost thousands. It's got the original big three Strymon pedals. Just those three cost more than I got my Helix for used. Neither of those pedal boards have been to a gig since I got the Helix.

They have come out a tiny bit for recording. Recently I did a track that just needed a basic rock guitar through overdrive. I recorded the guitar direct to the DAW, then re-amped it. I pulled out the basic board just so I could use the overdrive pedal. Just plugging into the one pedal I needed and not fussing with anything else was nice.

But for gigs? A small box with infinite possibilities, different signal chains for different songs, and everything stored in there so no knob fiddling is needed during the gig. It's soooooo nice. And I'm finally going to start working with amp modeling next month. I've got to have surgery on my hip, and am not supposed to carry much weight for a while after. So no amps for a few months! It'll be a big adjustment for me, but Helix will make it possible.

16. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I've been modeling for years. Just recently had a birthday. Lately I've been modeling caskets.
    casket.jpg

gitapik and Stonetone like this.
  17. Joe K

Joe K New Member!

Hey TSims1, would be great to learn what is the last part of your chain, e.g., amp, FRFR powered speaker (which one), direct...

Thanks

18. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talk Member

Only modeling I've tried is the COSM on my Roland Micro Cube thats probably over 10 years old. Behind the times when it comes to that. I'm sure they are great, I'd have to have someone show me to whole shebang to learn it.

19. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I want a helix...I will jump in at some point, but I am still getting all I want from my HD500x

Stonetone likes this.
  20. mikeford

mikeford New Member! Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Helix while I still use old tube amps (primarily my Mesa Mark iib), but I'll be switching soon enough.

Mike

gitapik and Stonetone like this.