Join Strat-Talk Today

Hello from OhighO!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jeeprz, May 19, 2020 at 10:34 PM.

1. Jeeprz

Jeeprz New Member!

I'm an old guy (50's) who has ZERO real guitar experience and would like to request some advice if I may.
    Short version of the story is I have wanted to learn to play for years but life or finances always seemed to get in the way.
    Now I find myself in a position where I can pull the trigger on a good setup to start learning without too much drama.
    I've watched vid's online for years about opinions on how to get started, different gear, what to buy what not to buy, etc. which just seems to make me more confused and cross-eyed the more I watch and read.

So to try to keep this from becoming a blog, I will tell you what I'm thinking of getting.

First, I'm Left handed so that does limit my used options, except maybe for amps, wink.

Style wise if I had to pick only one it would be Gilmour, but I like Slayer and Canned Heat as well so my taste are really all over the map.
    I can pull the trigger on a mod shop strat now without TOO much pain in the wallet, but I'm far from wealthy and don't want to piss my cash stash away just to do it, I'm not trying to impress anyone else, my idea is this setup is for me to keep and enjoy myself.

With what I've heard over the years starting with better quality equipment "could" help me with with my learning curve, and also keep interested in learning instead of getting frustrated and it turning into a dusty coat rack.

My rule of thumb for tools has always been buy the best proven quality you can afford, and take care of it.

I started looking at used strat's in the $300 range and like a lot of peeps ended up in the mod shop.

Anyway here's what I came up with,

-Alder body in Olympic White.
    I would have preferred a pearl white but it isn't an option, is Olympic really white or "yellowy"? hard to tell online.
    -American Pro solid rosewood neck
    I have some experience working with woods over the years and a lot of reviews for the solid RW say it feels really silky, plus I like the look.
    -V-Mod pickups SSS
    This was a bit of a guess, no idea if hss would be better for my only guitar which is what I'm thinking of this as at this point.
    -Tortoise shell Pick guard
    I thought it compliments the rosewood neck nice, but do the fender pick guards really look like the somewhat translucent Tortoise shell, or is it just a "painted smear look"? anyway cheap enough to change it.
    -White Plastics
    -Modern locking tuners
    it's only a $50 upgrade and they are $60 on Amazon on their own.
    -American Pro strat trem
    The block trem is same price, and I dont know the difference.

So what do you think?
    Am I over thinking it? I know I can't buy experience or talent, I just dont want to have buy's remorse in 5 years if it turns out my talent is just limited to noodling around with it, but i also don't want to drop $1k to save a buck and in a year find out I dont really like it for looks or whatever.

Thank you in advance!

Mod shop custom strat White.png

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Well, first off, the V-mod pickups are often the most hated Strat pickups. That has been my assessment with them, and a lot of other’s too. The problem with the v mods in my experience is that they don’t play nicely with other guitars. I had them on an Am Pro and I could be playing with six different guitars, and use one favored EQ setting for my amp. But when I got to the guitar with the Vmods I had to re EQ the amp for that one guitar. Not something that you want to have to do in the middle of a set.

if I were building the guitar, I would pick different pickups. Everything else on your guitar sounds like a winner. I would pick an s1 switch to add the neck and bridge pickup combination. -perhaps others will chime in with some good pickup recommendations. I like the Texas Specials, which are another polarizing choice, people either love them or hate them, but for me they work well with high gain distortion.

welcome to the forum.

Tone Deaf and Stratafied like this.
  3. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Solid advice
    Welcome..what part of Ohio ?

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

My first recommendation is: buy a right handed guitar and learn it from the outset. You learned how to cut with scissors right handed, you can learn guitar right handed. It’s a much easier path with many more options.
    Second: find a nice used Strat on Reverb for 8 or 9 hundred dollars. You can modify it all you want as you learn.
    Third: buy a good amp. Not a big amp, but a good amp. Solid state is the way to go as a beginner, much less expensive and much lower maintenance. The Boss Katana is such an amp.

Good luck!

jhigley likes this.
  5. Jeeprz

Jeeprz New Member!

Thank you for the input everyone!

I'm in the general Norwalk Ohio area, It's up north Ohio and about 30 min due south of Sandusky/Cedar point if you look at a map.

Norwalk is known for having the top Drag strip in NA, Norwalk Raceway Park, now known as Summit Motorsports Park.

I realize there are only three replies so far, but at least no one said "stay away from the mod shop!".
    On other websites while googling around a few threads came up where a couple people felt the got burnt by the mod shop because their pickups didnt work right out of the box. They were like for $1800 the mod shop doesn't even test them before they ship them??? Anyway those two went on to say they went round and round with reg Fender customer support as the Mod shop wont talk to anyone directly, and one guy said he spent like 10 weeks going back and forth with them to make his right.

But, that's only two I could find with bad experiences.

I have considered going used, but I have to go thru someone like GC or sweetwater with some sort of guaranty as I dont know enough to buy from someone private without possibly getting screwed over.

As far as an amp I was already thinking of getting a new Boss Katana MK2 @ 100watt at $359, it seems Boss has fixed that price on them for resellers because I haven't found any cheaper.
    The 50watt would save me about a $130 and probably be more than i really need, but again if i can pull it off now I think I'm better to go for it rather than regret only getting a 50 later, plus with the 100w I can crank it out in the big metal barn out back like Chong and piss off all my neighbors!

The Left hand thing is interesting, I was under the learn right handed from the get go impression my self every time I was looking into it over the years, but by searching "Left hand guitar" threads and videos I found Lefty Frett's site and some others who say that in the long term If you are Left handed you will be a better player in the end if you stick to Learning left hand from the beginning.

OH, one more question, are all Strat bodies routed out for all pickup configurations from the start?
    I mean if I go sss and then decided down the road to go hss or even hsh will they fit?

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 10:29 PM
  6. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Olympic White is very slightly off-white. Arctic White and Pearl white are a bit “whiter”.

I have no experienced with V-mods but I defer to @3bolt79 and his experience.
    There are a lot of other Fender or Seymour Duncan, or Fralin, or whatever pickups.
    Do a search on this site and you”ll find a gazillion threads on pickups.

The rest looks great - what a pretty Strat you’ve conjured up.

7. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Strat-Talk Supporter

BTW, Welcome to Strat-Talk :thumb:

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-Talk Member

Welcome to the forum, good luck in your search for the guitar you want.

9. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-Talker

Welcome, I wonder if you know what state is high in the middle and round on both ends

10. Martin Mim

Martin Mim Strat-Talker

Welcome to the jungle!

11. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

IMHO - I might suggest something more along the lines of a Squier Classic Vibe or Fender Player's Strat -- they are really, really, nice guitars. You could then sink the extra cash into a nice amp and/or lessons :)

12. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

13. jhigley

jhigley Strat-Talk Member

Howdy Neighbor!!

Jeff

14. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Welcome from the Canton, OH, area.

How left-handed are you? I am a lefty, but fairly ambidextrous. My brother-in-law is a lefty who might starve if you made him eat right-handed. I ask because I found learning to play righty to be easier because the fretting was done with my dominant left hand. And I'm thankful I learned to play righty, in part because of the gear options available to me. Believe it or not, even pedals are designed for right-handed players. Anyway, if you haven't yet made up your mind, my vote is for righty.

Love the all-rosewood neck on that guitar.

15. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Leftyness seems to be individual. Danny Gatton was left-handed, but played right-handed. His left hand dexterity over the frets is unachievable for most of us.

16. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

What @IronSchef says. If I were me, I'd get a good looking, playing, and sounding guitar for low dollars. A Squier CV fills that requirement and needs nothing but a set-up. After that, I'd put every dollar I could find into a great amp. For me, tone and response are more inspirational than the guitar itself. If I had a budgeted amount to spend, 75 to 80% would go toward the amp. A $100 guitar, set up right, can sound like a million bucks through a great amp.

17. Jeeprz

Jeeprz New Member!

I don't know if this will make sense, but if was listening to and jammin to some music and subconsciously started strumming air guitar it would be left handed because it feels natural to me.

I've fiddled around holding other peeps right handed guitars before and I can wiggle my left hand fingers on the frets, but unless i'm staring directly at it my right hand is retarded and couldn't even hit the strings.

With that said, I was just checking out friends guitars for a moment at different times, I wasn't putting any real effort into learning anything.

I've never heard of Danny Gatton, but I will be checking out his vids thanks! It was sad to hear how he went out.

Due to the time frame I wonder if he played and learned that way due to the availability of leftys back then? sort of like how Jimmy played right handed guitar upside down because that's what he had, Just a thought?

With all the videos I've watched, I thought the Boss Katana MK2 @ 100w was a highly rated amp, and probably more amp than I would need for several years as a beginner.

"Olympic White is very slightly off-white" actually I think that might look better than a bright white with the rose neck and pick guard I picked out, keep it slightly earthy without going yellowish like the aged white plastics I dont really care for.

As far as the pickups, keep in mind if i pull the trigger on this mod shop build I'm limited to what the mod shop offers for a build at this time, there are 13 options and I dont really know what i'm looking at.

Anyone, with what you know now and it was your very first strat, what pick setup would you recommend?

"Love the all-rosewood neck on that guitar" LOL, so do I and I don't know what i'm doing. I do know a little bit about wood though, and at least in my mind I could see how I would probably like the feel of it, the videos I've watched about them say they sound a slightly mellower and not as crunchy as maple, but can sustain forever and a day.

With that said you all could play 6 different brands of guitar, with 12 different neck makeups behind me and I wouldn't have a clue to what was what.

I actually went back to the fender page after reading your replies to see if I could just buy a all rose wood neck, then maybe pick up a squire cv and have someone who knows what they are doing build it and set it up for me, but apparently they dont sell just the solid rosewood neck, those ******.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.