Join Strat-Talk Today

Hello from the UK .

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Saxby, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Saxby

Saxby New Member!

Hello just thaught I would say hi.
    I am totally new to guitars and have an old squire Stratocaster (SN: P027026) baught 2nd hand back in 2000 with the intention of playing it .
    I never did .
    I just kept it in the bag and it's moved around with me throw the years spending a fair bit of that in the loft .
    I have taken it in to a local shop were I was told it's not really worth them repairing it as most of the parts are lickley coroded.
    (Forgive me if I have the wording wrong here )
    I rember one of the variable resistors didn't work back in the day .
    And now over time 2 of the 3 are sized .
    And also was told the pickups are more then lickley gone, .
    Also was told that the head bolt might be stuck.
    It seems a shame to bin it. And I'm more then happy to re fit new or 2nd hand parts and re wire it .
    I(know there is a louse wire in side years ago with no ideas were came from)
    but I'm going to open it up on weekend and see if I can make sense of it,

But after spending a few hours reading up I'm still not sure what I should be getting . I would like to restore it to sound like something that what it used to be .. and totally have no idea what the jargon is all about . And also how to set these things up right .. or how to tell if there even right .
    If any one can point me in the right direction that would be great . But I think I'm going to buy a 2nd hand amp .(fender Mustang 2) .and start from there .

tery and Mankonis like this.
  2. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the Forum.
    There are lots of videos on YouTube on guitar set-ups, etc. I'm sure one of our resident experts will be along shortly to steer you in the right direction.
    Have fun!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  3. Saxby

Saxby New Member!

Thanks . I'm sure there is . Back when I was in to nice clocks , it was surprising the amount of info out there for such a small market . I will keep looking of course . But so far . It seems confusing with terms like( hot pick ups ) ect . Can I just get any strat pickups ? There are some on eBay from £10 - £50
    And complete bords from £50. . But will they be any good for me ? And I imagine there is more to the guitar then just putting the electrics in

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2019
  4. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

Hello and welcome. A fender mustang amp is a great choice...cheap, light and lots of good sound options. Used prices are usually less than the cost of a pedal.

5. Mankonis

Mankonis Strat-Talk Member

Welcome!

Is your squier made in Japan? I remember early 90's mij squiers had this serial numbers.
    Btw, Everything is fixable :thumb:

6. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

7. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Guitar wiring isn't difficult, it's not like wiring up a car or anything, and we'll help you with anything you need.

8. Saxby

Saxby New Member!

Thanks guys. The fella at the shop says it's a shame as it's a Japanese model . And that I should hang it on the wall . But ya . The wiring looks simple enouth . A lot simpler then outher projects I have had and it's good to know all the parts are interchangable .
    Is there any thing I should be looking for oe be aware of, when looking at 2nd hand bits ?

9. IMuzzy

IMuzzy Strat-Talk Member

Welcome, the knowledge here will help you more than you can imagine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.