Hello. With my 1st Fender in a long long time.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Boylit, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Boylit

Boylit New Member!

Hello.

Got a Fender Tom Morello Stratocaster.
    [​IMG]

I was surprised it needed a bit of setup OOTB as my other recent guitars were all ready to play OOTB.
    Stuff done included: truss rod adjustment, lowering of the action, lowering of the pickups (bridge surprisingly high and touching the strings), rolling the fretboard and frets. After setup, it played awesome.

pn8830, hornpiper and Censport like this.
  2. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

Floyd Rose bridges are not really my thing, especially on a Strat but I do like the overall look of the guitar. Not sure I would want to pay what these cost for a MIM Fender though. The only thing that matters is that you like it and enjoy playing it. I'm not surprised about the set up though because it is fairly common when you get a guitar with a Floyd Rose, everyone I have purchased I had to set it up. I have set up hundreds of guitars for myself and others and hate setting up a Floyd Rose because getting the intonation right can be a real pain at times. One thing Fender doesn't do well in my opinion is guitars with Floyd Rose bridges. That said when you get them dialed in they are pretty neat guitars, although I mainly display them and play my guitars with a tradition Fender bridge or a fixed bridge. This really reminds me of a guitar I had built back in 88, it has the same look and mine also had the mirrored pickguard, I loved the look but keeping it in tune was a challenge, still beautiful to look at.

3. Boylit

Boylit New Member!

Agree the FRs need a bit more fiddling than most..

Still surprised at the amount of setup it needed though. That red RG550 and a couple of other FRs I recently got were ready to rock out of the box. I just thought anything above 1000USD would not have pickups that were touching the strings and, at least, be able to strum a chord newly opened... Even more surprised when I tried an MIJ Tele that was spot on out of the box. Then again, it was made by the same folks that did my Ibies.

[​IMG]

pn8830 likes this.
  4. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to Strat-Talk. Nice guitars you have there.

5. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

Beautiful white guitar. I've always loved the MIJ guitars because I think they have much better quality control than we do in the factories that produce them. Some of my all time favorite guitars have been MIJ.