Hello world

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Strategizer, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Strategizer

Strategizer Strat-Talk Member

5C9448B8-2B5E-4B53-9DA9-B8DD8F01473B.jpeg

I only have one electric, and it's a Strat... so this seems like the place to be...

Funny thing about it. It was a broken-down pawn shop find (two dead pups) that I bought only with the intention of reselling. Was a white-on-white HSS then. I figured some unskilled person had tried playing around with the electronics like I'd seen in several other cases before... nope, these pups were legitimately dead. Couldn't return it, so I was stuck. There just wasn't enough margin to turn a profit with the added cost of replacing the pups, so it hung around and eventually got fixed up. 6ish years later it's still here.

If you were to ask me then and even now I'd tell you that I don't like Strats... it's just not comfortable to my hands. And yet it's still here. ;)

fxrguy, Namelyguitar, Ave and 2 others like this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Sweet looking strat...welcome!

Strategizer likes this.
  3. Strategizer

@Dana Rudd To reply to your comment on @StratifyMe's intro thread, pic of my Strat is above.

I also feel the need to clarify what I said up there about not liking Strats; I have to wrassle 25.5" scale guitars, whereas I find 24.75" to 25" scale guitars to be far more comfortable in my hands. There certainly ARE other guitars I'd rather have and play... but, right now it doesn't make sense for me to own more than one. Maybe one day it will.

I keep ahold of the Strat for mostly sentimental reasons. So many little things about it and my history with it so far that makes it something special to me, playing comfort notwithstanding.

Also, can I just say TONE. Gotta admit I love the sounds that come out of this thing. This has SD SSL-1's in it, with a steel baseplate under the bridge pup. I was never crazy about the bridge until I put that in. I also have an additional switch installed to do the Deluxe Player Strat thing, enabling N+B and N+M+B pickup selection.

Switching gears, I also have an import Hamer short-scale bass and a Norman Folk Cutaway (I think the model is B20C?) acoustic. Normans are basically Seagulls with a more standard string spacing at the nut; both are made by the same parent company Godin. Who knows, you may already know all that. But, I'm the only person I've ever known to own and play one.

I mostly play and practice through a Line6 PODxt these days, but I also have a Benson Vinny head played through an old refinished Peavey 12" cab with Fender brown label speaker. I built and finished the head cabinet for that. I also have a mutt of an amp I built I call the Fivewatt. It's a mishmash of the Fender 5E3 and Kalamazoo Model 1 circuits and built inside a '40s-era Montgomery Ward portable radio case, built with iron saved from a late '50s portable turntable.

It's probably obvious by now, but I like to build things and am fairly good at it. I got a router this past Christmas and am currently working on building a router table. So I'm sure it won't be long before I try my hand at building bodies/necks... all in good time!

Attached Files:

fxrguy, Danny D and Jesse414 like this.
  4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum! Handsome axe:thumb:

Strategizer likes this.
  5. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to strat talk. I like the strat and the amps. :)

Strategizer likes this.
  6. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

Hi!
    I understand perfectly how you feel about strats. You have to work harder to play one compared to a Gibson.
    Cool amps too

Strategizer and Danny D like this.
  7. Ave

Ave Strat-Talker

Nice looking Strat! Wish I had a white one, really want an olympic white.

Welcome to the forum!

Ave

Strategizer likes this.
  8. Strategizer

When I first got it I thought the white was too plain. I really like figured wood and/or burst finishes. Over time I've come to appreciate the beautiful simplicity of Oly White.