help / advice needed, woodworms in my new ultra luxe strat

end27

Strat-Talk Member
May 20, 2020
Zagreb
hello.

today i was cleaning my guitar for the first time since i bought it and i noticed quiet a few holes in it on the back side. i remembered that i have seen 1 hole like that first day when i bought it so i flipped it and it was indeed same type of hole. so i inspected guitar more and found few more holes on front side too

after quick google it was easy to determine those are woodworm holes.

now i am not sure what to do.

this guitar costed me 2,3k euros and i have 7 months left to pay it off and now i find out it has worms that are eating it inside.

i have never ever had woodworms in my house. i am 100% sure guitar came with worms in it.

what should i do? contact store? what do you think they should do? ive had this guitar for 5 months now. its kinda long to call store and complain about what i bought 5 months ago, but then again, its under some sort of warranty, no? however they can easily say it got worms at my place.

im defeated, really.

please tell me what would you do in my position.

end27

Strat-Talk Member
May 20, 2020
Zagreb
Hey, that definitely looks like something is wrong! Are the holes through the poly finish? Can you stick a toothpick or something in there? I’d definitely call the store about this…
yes is through the finish. there is also wood dust in guitar case

store is closed now. i will call them tomorrow but i want to prepare for conversation because i think there will be problems..

bluejazzoid

Strats Amore
Silver Member
Aug 14, 2009
Southeast USA
That's seem crazy, but what a trip if so.

I can understand there being worms in the wood, but are they eating through the poly? 😲You should set up a camera and fill the little buggers coming out!

Then again, maybe that's some new kind of weight-relief or "tone holes" being implemented. Like, I can almost read the ad copy "Enjoy the absolute latest in tone-hole sculpting, with Fender's new natural and ecologically safe weight reduction courtesy a very small embedded family of hungry little worms inside your new Stratocaster body!"

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
Wow, I thought the moth larva that ate all my violin bow hairs was a bad deal.
Talk to the store...if no luck I guess some pesticide?

I used moth balls in my violin case and still have not been brave enough to put it back in.
So, I'm real curious about how this goes.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
You need to get that guitar out of your house soon. Otherwise, unless it is professionally treated, you probably will have woodworm elsewhere in your house. As it sounds as if the guitar is still quite new, and technically still belongs to the finance company, you can probably insist on a replacement guitar.

Sugarcane

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 24, 2014
On the road
I have no idea what you guys call woodworms but that sure looks like a drywood termite infection to me. Bad news, buddy. Get rid of that guitar ASAP, and I mean it. When a piece of wood gets afflicted by these little bastards there's no fixing it.

Hydr0

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Hopefully, the store will be understanding and work with you for a replacement.

If not, you’ll have to fight. Life is a battle.

I’m sorry this happened to you.

Good luck.

T-Model

Strat-Talker
Feb 4, 2022
USA
Can’t see the dust photo clear enough, but if that ‘dust’ is perfectly round little pellets then it’s definitely termites and they make those holes to get rid of their ‘poop’ which are tiny round pellets.
Get that out of you house immediately.