help / advice needed, woodworms in my new ultra luxe strat

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
This is gnarley stuff. I never imagined.

I really hope they let op return the infested and damaged gear. In other industries, this is the type of stuff that warrants a recall, they should be tracking down these specimens based on serial numbers.

Bob Spumoni

Senior Stratmaster
May 5, 2019
New England
Those look like powder post beetle holes, the commonest worm infestation in furniture. They would probebly be quite easy to kill by fumigation, but that is NOT something you should have to deal with. It is hard to imagine a more obvious return situation, unless you have dealt with a real sleazebag dealer who might, dishonorably enough, claim that "it didn;t ghave those holes when we sold it," in which case I guess you have to hope Fender will do the right thing, FWIW, I like cheap guitars - Grotes, e.g. - and I have yet to see a single worm hole. Ridiculous, really. Best of luck.

Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Nah, I took a piece, bagged it and waited for the lil peckerheads to show... they looked so much like the photos of the Emerald Ash Borer, I. said.. "Well shi* looks like Emerald Ash Borers to me." I'm smart like that... :p

But it doesn't matter what in hell they are.. "they" are there.. so someone owes you a new guitar....

Miotch

Jun 28, 2011
ok
I woke up this morning, anxious to get to the office and play guitar like I do every workday. Then I took a glance at Strat Talk and am now afraid to open any of my guitar cases !!!

Never heard of this before, but Wow. Just Wow !!!

Bakelite1

Strat-Talker
Nov 26, 2020
Vancouver BC
This is a recent phenomena. The wood they used could have been sourced from anywhere. Asian wood can have Asian insects in it. The eggs can remain dormant for longer than ten years! So, they can easily outwait air drying.

Do your own research. There are some serious implications.

end27

Strat-Talk Member
May 20, 2020
Zagreb
FWIW, I like cheap guitars - Grotes, e.g. - and I have yet to see a single worm hole. Ridiculous, really. Best of luck.
it seems to be really really rare. i have filtered all facebook startocaster / fender groups i am in looknig for "worm" , "holes" etc and only 1 result came up. from milions of people. even on entire internet i can barely find anyone having this issue. i seriously cannot believe this.

dirocyn

Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Emerald Ash Borers killed a tree in my yard a few years ago. Hate 'em. If you don't already have those bugs, the guitar seller may have just introduced them. They are extremely prevalent in the United States, to the extent that clean Ash is hard to find.

Kiln drying is supposed to kill the bugs and their eggs. Not all instrument makers use kiln dried wood, though. Some folks say air-dried lumber makes better sounding instruments.

If new, absolutely send it back. What kind of guitar is it?

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
it seems to be really really rare. i have filtered all facebook startocaster / fender groups i am in looknig for "worm" , "holes" etc and only 1 result came up. from milions of people. even on entire internet i can barely find anyone having this issue. i seriously cannot believe this.
This is a pretty good (and recent) article... if you search 'Ash, Fender and Emerald Ash Borer' you'll find more information I suspect: https://www.the-nature-of-music.com/2022/02/15/guitars-bugs-and-climate-change/

Also, a video linked within the article:

Hope you get it sorted!