help / advice needed, woodworms in my new ultra luxe strat

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
On a somewhat related note... Fender should release some guitars in 'Emerald Ash Borer Green', I would totally hand over money for a Strat with this finish - very, very nice! :)

eab-3.jpg

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
Hopefully you \used a credit card for the \purchase. If the dealer or Fender \wont\ make it right, you\ can have t\he Credit card company not pay them and get your money back.

NHFlyCaster

Strat-Talker
Feb 16, 2020
NH
Damn, my condolences to the OP and anyone who had these pests.

Have never heard of such a thing happening, and am now thinking of that ash TE model I got from Harley Benton. I hope nothing emerges from inside it.

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
Just an awful turn of events - I’m so sorry. I’d be sick to my stomach about it if it were my guitar.

You’ll need to call Orkin or a bug killer company and has your house treated ASAP!! You don’t want those bastards setting up in the wood frames of your home.

Damn man. That totally sucks.

end27

Strat-Talk Member
May 20, 2020
Zagreb

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
hello.

today i was cleaning my guitar for the first time since i bought it and i noticed quiet a few holes in it on the back side. i remembered that i have seen 1 hole like that first day when i bought it so i flipped it and it was indeed same type of hole. so i inspected guitar more and found few more holes on front side too

after quick google it was easy to determine those are woodworm holes.

now i am not sure what to do.

this guitar costed me 2,3k euros and i have 7 months left to pay it off and now i find out it has worms that are eating it inside.

i have never ever had woodworms in my house. i am 100% sure guitar came with worms in it.

what should i do? contact store? what do you think they should do? ive had this guitar for 5 months now. its kinda long to call store and complain about what i bought 5 months ago, but then again, its under some sort of warranty, no? however they can easily say it got worms at my place.

im defeated, really.

please tell me what would you do in my position.
If it’s under warranty then the manufacturer should cover it under warranty. As a Gold level Fender Warranty Center I saw this problem a few times. If there are wood worms in the wood that has been finished over then it is considered a manufacturers defect.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
You’ll need to call Orkin or a bug killer company and has your house treated ASAP!! You don’t want those bastards setting up in the wood frames of your home.
Only if your house is built out of ash. Which is unlikely. Don't worry about the house. Do worry about any ash trees within 6-8 kilometers.

GSDLuna

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 8, 2022
Michigan, USA
I don’t think it was caused by Emerald Ash Borer. The females bore into the tree and lay their eggs in the tissue just under the bark, the sapwood. When the larva hatch they eat this live tissue; this is what kills the tree. I have lost every single mature white ash on my property to these bastards so I’ve seen what they do. They don’t bore into the center of the tree. I’m no expert on sourcing ash wood for guitar bodies but don’t see how one could be made using sapwood - you’d be able to see the serpentine tunnels the larva make.

Last edited:

Stratpod111

New Member!
Dec 31, 2021
New Plymouth
hello.

today i was cleaning my guitar for the first time since i bought it and i noticed quiet a few holes in it on the back side. i remembered that i have seen 1 hole like that first day when i bought it so i flipped it and it was indeed same type of hole. so i inspected guitar more and found few more holes on front side too

after quick google it was easy to determine those are woodworm holes.

now i am not sure what to do.

this guitar costed me 2,3k euros and i have 7 months left to pay it off and now i find out it has worms that are eating it inside.

i have never ever had woodworms in my house. i am 100% sure guitar came with worms in it.

what should i do? contact store? what do you think they should do? ive had this guitar for 5 months now. its kinda long to call store and complain about what i bought 5 months ago, but then again, its under some sort of warranty, no? however they can easily say it got worms at my place.

im defeated, really.

please tell me what would you do in my position.
Get your money back pronto. Never buy a new Strat or Fender again. There are two many Strat style alternatives as good or better for way less the price.