Join Strat-Talk Today

Help Buzz Question

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by forellana93, Jun 28, 2019.

1. forellana93

forellana93 New Member!

Hello guys.

I just bought a demo fender american pro strat from sweetwater, the thing is, the guitar buzzes like crazy on almost all the frets from 1st to 18, almost every string (except the first one).
    I already checked the truss rod, the neck relief is ok, using the capo at 1st and pressing the 17th fret the space at fret 8 is 0.10. The action is fine, 4/64 at fret 12 on every string. I just changed the strings to a new set, so the strings were not the problem. The nut is fine, doesn't buzz at open strings or something. The micro-tilt is loosed. And i didn't spot any high fret.

Do u guys have any idea what it can be?
    Can this be the reason why this guitar was as a demo?
    I heard that the demo guitars from sweetwater possibly were in the hands of another customer, maybe it's a returned guitar due to this same issue?
    Im worried because im not from usa, so i can't return the guitar.

I would appreciate your answers, thank you !

2. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-Talker

1/16 across the board is pretty ambitiously low, unless you’re among the very gentlest of pluckers.

Triple Jim likes this.
  3. forellana93

forellana93 New Member!

at fret 12 with capo on first fret

johnnymg likes this.
  4. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Well what's the height without a capo?
    Sounds like you need to get some bend into that neck - adjust the truss rod counter-clockwise. (Edit: I don't know if you're new to this, sorry if you're not and I tell you this anyway :oops:
    BUt look down at the guitar, neck facing towards you, turn the rod ccw and do it 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time and wait at least 30 mins between turns. Play after each pause to see if the Problem persists.)
    If the action then is too high beyond the 12th fret, adjust the saddles to taste.

5. forellana93

forellana93 New Member!

Without a capo at fret 12 the height is 5/64, and it seems high.
    Do u say it needs bend? but what about the 0.10 space at the fret 8 with a capo at 1st fret and pressing the 17th fret, doesn't mean it is already bend?

6. TangerineDog

5/64 is quite average, really. And it doesn't really have to go down that much in total.

You're saying it buzzes from the 1st to the 18th fret. That means that the string runs too close to the frets there so you need to increase the string height even at the 1st fret.
    You do that by adjusting the neck relief.

Then, you might have high enough action at the 1st fret and crazy high action at the 12th - and that, you can adjust by lowering the saddles.
    The action at the 1st fret will remain almost the same when you lower the saddles, but the strings will get closer to the higher frets again.

However, if your not quite comfortable with doing that, taking it to a tech for a proper setup might help to get you a good starting point for getting into making small adjustments yourself :)

Edit: or is it not a general buzzing all along the neck? Can you make out a certain place where it buzzes? Maybe it really is just one high fret that causes the buzz when the strings vibrate. Try to get your ear close to the neck and pluck a string and see if you can pinpoint the problem area.

7. forellana93

forellana93 New Member!

so do u say fender recommended relief measurements doesnt work? ill try to loose the truss rod a little then

8. TangerineDog

They're just a starting point - just like every player has different preferences, every guitar has completed a long journey to the store where it gets sold. There it hangs at the neck, gets picked up and tuned and hung up again for who knows how long and then, finally, shipped to you, across one or two climate zones in the back of a truck.

So it is quite possible that the neck is a little bent, that a fret or two have gone high or that some intern at the store has put a shim in the neck pocket during his first set up that has absolutely no place there.
    You just need to find a way to make the thing playable now, and if recommended specs don't work, that's not the end of all things.

But I guess I was too slow with my edit, so here it is again:
    or is it not a general buzzing all along the neck? Can you make out a certain place where it buzzes? Maybe it really is just one high fret that causes the buzz when the strings vibrate. Try to get your ear close to the neck and pluck a string and see if you can pinpoint the problem area.

9. forellana93

forellana93 New Member!

The neck is too much curved now, i hear the buzz coming from the lasts frets, maybe the last fret? because i can't use a straight ruler on that fret to compare it.

10. TangerineDog

How do you know it's too curved?

Now if the relief is indeed too much and there's still buzz on the highest fret, it needs a fret leveling at your nearest guitar store.
    But for now let's throw a Hail Mary: try to raise the saddles 'til there's no more buzz - shouldn't be that much if no level is needed - and let the guitar sit for a few hours, then adjust the neck 'til the action is just little above the recommended specs.

Edit: And this won't help with the buzz, but use this opportunity to loosen the neck screws a little and tighten them again - just until you feel a little resistance, then stop. Don't overtighten.
    It will most likely click and ping a little and your guitar will thank you.

11. forellana93

forellana93 New Member!

because watching it from the bottom closing one eye it seems reeeeally curved. i think im going to my local luthier, what i did not want to do because its the only one in my city, so hes very expensive :(. I hope this have an easy solution.

I really appreciate your help, youre very kind. Thank you!!!

12. TangerineDog

You're welcome.
    Hey, if it's the first time you hit him up, ask him if he'd be willing to give you a discount this one time.

But still, I'd urge you to raise the saddles and reduce the curve again, it might do the trick and save you some money - and there's nothing to lose, the luthier will still be there 2 hours later ;)

13. forellana93

forellana93 New Member!

well the saddles are at max, can't rise them more. i hope i dont have to shim the neck :eek:

14. TangerineDog

And the neck is still bent concavely and the buzz persists?
    In that case, it's time to get those frets done. Don't bother shimming - that shim would have to be so massive you'd have a banana guitar before it sounds right :confused:

15. LeonardMcCoy

LeonardMcCoy Strat-Talk Member

I suggest you bring her in for a professional setup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.