Help deciding on a USA Strat

czgunner

Strat-Talk Member
May 29, 2021
WY
I'm interested in buying an American made Strat. Probably SSS, but would consider HSS.
I'm a disabled combat vet, and the all USA part isn't negotiable.
I see that a little while back an olive green was available. I really like the look of those, but don't see any for sale.
-I'm still learning and play just for fun.-
I see the prices on used Strats that are only a few years old, in less than great shape and I see what a new Strat sells for...not much more. What's the deal there? Are the new Strats not worth buying?
What American made Strat should I be looking at?
Thanks for the help!

Jim Carl

Strat-Talker
Jan 20, 2021
Colorado
Hello czgunner, The new American strats are well made. I bought an Am pro strat last year and it is a great guitar.

I'd suggest looking on reverb.com, you should be able to find what you want, new or used.

Michael919

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 22, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I'm Canadian, but I will still say thank you for your service.

Depending on where your location is at for reopening, I suggest that you get out to all the stores that you can and try out as many guitars as you can. Some shops even rent guitars, so that may be an option for you.

Keep in mind that a lot of guitars will not be set up properly in the shop. Some will even have sharp fret edges (fret sprout). Be careful in writing off a guitar or model when it could be a simple setup / fret end cleanup. Oh ya, and best to bring a small cloth with you to wipe down the strings and neck before playing. The grimy kid who played it before you may have left it gross and sticky.

Do that and read and "shop" online to learn what you can. Good luck!

czgunner

Strat-Talk Member
May 29, 2021
WY
I'm Canadian, but I will still say thank you for your service.

Depending on where your location is at for reopening, I suggest that you get out to all the stores that you can and try out as many guitars as you can. Some shops even rent guitars, so that may be an option for you.

Keep in mind that a lot of guitars will not be set up properly in the shop. Some will even have sharp fret edges (fret sprout). Be careful in writing off a guitar or model when it could be a simple setup / fret end cleanup. Oh ya, and best to bring a small cloth with you to wipe down the strings and neck before playing. The grimy kid who played it before you may have left it gross and sticky.

Do that and read and "shop" online to learn what you can. Good luck!
Thank you.
I've been "playing" since around 2000, but due to the Army, dealing with some PTSD/depression, life, etc, I'm just getting back into it. I have a US Masters HH S shape that I bought new and I just bought a Larrivee D-40. I feel the need for a Strat to round out the collection.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey and welcome!!

I think I know the guitar you are talking about and it really is beautiful! I wanted a precision bass in this finish but I couldn’t find one. As mentioned there is a ton of used USA strats out there but prices are insane right now because there’s nothing in stock. Wait it out and start doing some research. I’d be looking into the American pro or American original series just because those you can’t go wrong. However the olive green one you can find them 7D6A4159-575E-4353-A585-E166AE51D4AA.png

J4ME5

Strat-O-Master
Sep 1, 2020
X
Thank you!
You're very welcome – the one you linked looks great too! The American Professionals in my experience are excellent guitars – you really won't go wrong with one! Oh – and if you're looking for a strap to match, Fender recently released Camo versions of their WeighLess straps:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/accessories/straps/weighless-2-camo-strap/0990685176.html

A quick mock-up:

Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 01.59.09.png

Really cool combo – and these straps are ridiculously comfortable!!

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
Welcome czunner!

Thank you for your service!

You cannot beat a MIA Strat. I have one that will eventually be passed down to my Army vet son.