Help deciding on a USA Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by czgunner, Jun 1, 2021.

1. czgunner

czgunner Strat-Talk Member

Thank you. And that is something your son will cherish!

2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I appreciate your service cz. Welcome to the forum. If you're set on that green those two that were linked are super deals, particularly the one that includes the original Elite case.

But take your time. This is the place to gather information and knowledge before you purchase. What kind of music/tones are you going for?

czgunner likes this.
  3. czgunner

I'm getting into playing rock and some blues. Still lots of learning to do. I listen to a lot of Eagles, Petty, stones, Collective Soul, and on and on...

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Hi; welcome, and thanks for your service! And an SSS Strat would be a great addition for the kind of music you're into.

The olive color was used on the American Professionals; they were out from December 2016 until about September 2020. That model was replaced by the American Professional II series and the olive color was dropped at that time. For what it's worth the changes between the American Professional and the American Professional II are fairly incremental - slightly revised pickups, slightly different finish on the neck, and a contoured neck heel.

Adorama has great prices on discontinued and special-run Fenders; if they still have them at that price then that's a great deal. With the pandemic used prices have been kind of crazy; you would be getting a new guitar from Adorama for the same as you would probably find a used on Craigslist.

czgunner and Baelzebub like this.
  5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Then you'll want to do a bit of research on the various pickups for sure. After a comfortable neck I think they're probably the next most important factor in choosing a strat.

If you want to do a deep dive into strats, or if you just want to check out what the various stats are on a guitar you're interested in, or that you see someone playing that has a tone you like, there are a couple of sites maintained by members here that have a wealth of information.

https://www.fuzzfaced.net/stratocaster-modelli-e-cronologia.html

is one that's pretty easy to search. (don't let the Italian throw you, you can pick a language by clicking on a flag).

Another site is maintained by @balston11 , although his is not strictly devoted to strats but covers other guitars as well.

I don't have the link at hand but he'll see his name mentioned and be in to provide it, I'm sure.

Lastly a real useful function when you trying to get info on something is either to just make a post, or use the search function to find previous posts on any topic you can imagine. You can then read those threads and get everyone's input.

This place is a trove of information and fulla nice helpful folks, mostly. So avail yourself and find that "one" that's for you.

Good luck!

6. czgunner

It appears that the one they have is used. I'm really not sure about their condition rating system...

7. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Link is in my signature

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

This, plus, if you have anyone who has experience you can take along for the ride, their initial thoughts after a couple of minutes playing a Strat could help eliminate the real duffers and possibly give you negotiating info. on those with small set up problems. Most of my friends / players are always up for a guitar buying trip!

9. czgunner

I had one of the sellers on reverb accept a pretty good offer, so I think I'm going with that. Thanks everybody!

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Welcome, shipmate.

11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Sorry; I missed that it was used. :oops::oops:

I've never dealt with them; some places can give you an in-person assessment of used gear; you could check and see if they would do that for you.

12. czgunner

13. dvto2

dvto2 Strat-Talk Member

I just got this Am Pro II. I've been a tele guy but I love this guitar. The pups sound great. I recently learned that I really like jumbo frets but these narrow talls are fine and I like them much better than medium jumbos like on the elite. I did recently buy an Am Performer tele neck for my Stand Am tele and it was a big upgrade for me.

Attached Files:

czgunner likes this.
  14. dvto2

dvto2 Strat-Talk Member

Your new guitar looks very nice and you got a great price.

15. turfdoc

turfdoc Strat-Talk Member

Thank you for your service. Whatever style Strat you land on, make sure you like the neck first. A good neck that fits your hands will make or break your love life with your guitar. So you have to try em out. All the MIA Strats are good. I prefer SSS, but then I have lots of guitars. As far as amps go, one in the range of 25 watts is all you need, unless you plan to play out. No need to lug a heavy amp around. Be sure and check out the available tube amps before you settle. There is a difference.

czgunner likes this.
  16. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Guitar Center used inventory is my great escape. I get lost in there for hours. Keep your eyes open and you'll find what you want.

I'm a big fan of the deluxe strat ~2012-2017
    Also the Ultra(?). It followed the Deluxe.

Welcome!

17. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

18. jblue

jblue Strat-Talk Member

What I have found CZ is, like a woman, some I bond with/love and others-not so much. I've always been a Gibson guy. One day, I don't even remember why, I was reading about Strat plus's on line. "Coincidently" I found an '88 plus on CL in Gunmetal Blue about an hour's drive from me. The price was decent, I liked the color. In short, I wanted it from the moment I saw it (yup, just like some women). Rationally, I tried to talk myself down until I actually had it in my hands but...I went to play it and just loved it. Still do. It's my #2 (#1 being my first electric—a '59 LP Special—it makes me sweat!) My other Strat is a '95 Clapton Strat. I've always had a love/hate relationship with that one. You'll find your guitar, and maybe another, and another.
    As far as "learning to play", the internet is as awesome learning tool. Any song, scale, aspect of theory you want to learn, there'll be numerous people showing you exactly how. Best, enjoy!

19. czgunner

Thanks. All I play are tube amps. My brother is a fanatic about that and I haven't bothered with anything else. I currently have a Hot Rod Deluxe for sale and a Mojo 12" Princeton Reverb kit coming. This is my first amp build. Pretty excited.

20. publius

publius Strat-Talker

https://www.fuzzfaced.net/stratocaster-modelli-e-cronologia-usa.html

has plenty O' info on Strats including original Specs for pickups / colors &c.

I used that and other resources as I was attempting to clear up the mysteries of the Stratocaster's chronology.
    I took notes.
    I was looking for a USA Strat with an Ash body. I am providing my research on this matter as I believe all true blue 'American boys should own an Ash Strat FWIW. As with all info gleaned from Internet sources, one should double check/verify.

best of luck to ya.

American made Standard Stratocaster identification for models with ASH bodies.

All have bi-flex truss rods.

1987-1998

Strat Plus
    ( Molded Case)

Ash on Natural Finishes ( 521 & 821)

Gold Fender / Lace Sensor Pickup’s

5 position selector switch

1987-5-2000

American Standard Stratocaster 1st Series

( Molded Case)

Swamp Ash bodies on White Blonde (701) and Natural Finish (721)

Flat pole pickup’s ( 1987-1997 TBX Mid & Bridge)

1997-2000 Delta Tone No Load & High Output bridge pickup.

6/2000-2007

American Stratocaster
    ( Standard Molded Case)

Swamp Ash on White Blonde (701), 2 color Sunburst (703) & Natural (721)

American Strat Single Coil pickups staggered - High Output on Bridge

No Load Delta Tone control ( Mid - Bridge)

2008-2012

American Standard Stratocaster ( 2nd Series)
    ( Molded TSA Case)

Ash on color Sienna Sunburst ( 747)

Single coil pickups - Bridge American Strat Single Coil Pickup Higher output

Middle & Neck : American Strat Single Coil Pickup

3/2012 -11/2016
    American Standard Stratocaster (3rd Series)

Ash body with Color Sienna Sunburst

Custom Shop Fat 50’s Pickup’s Staggered

Elite Molded Fender/SKB Case

12/2016 -9/2020
    American Profesional Stratocaster

Ash with Sienna Sunburst and Natural finishes

V-Mod Single Coil Pickup’s Beveled & Staggered

Master volume control with Treble Bleed

Tone controls 1-Neck 2- Mid & Bridge

Elite Molded Case

10/2020- Current (as of 3-2021)American Professional Stratocaster II
    Due to Ash shortage Roasted Pine being used on bodies with Alder the primary tone wood