Join Strat-Talk Today

Help! Fake American standard off reverb?(Pics) Suspicious

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by R2D2, Dec 7, 2019.

1. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks like a full American Special pickguard with the Greasebucket, but I can't tell if the resistors are there or not.

Is tone-2 wired to the middle or bridge? American Special wires the tone pots to the neck and bridge.

Honestly, I like the AS wiring, and the Texas Specials, but they are polarizing and not everyone likes them. They can be a little harsh if they are too high.

Yves likes this.
  2. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

The body and neck are from an American Standard. The bridge looks original also.
    The pickguard and pickups have been swapped.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

This is VERY easy to determine guys and girls.....

If the pickups are Texas Specials, the bobbin wire will be purple-ish and not shiny bright copper color....

If the pickups are Fat 50s, the bobbin wire will be a shiny bright copper color.....

@R2D2 - let us know which one you have....

It's VERY VERY possible that Fender just grabbed the wrong pickguard and put the RIGHT pickups and pots and switch for an American Standard in there.....

Right now, from all your photos, I can't tell WHICH pickups you have....at all.....

CB91710 likes this.
  4. Mr Dunlop

Look at those solder joints. That's not factory.
    Someone has tapered with the electronics.

5. Guitarmageddon

I can't tell.....thanks for letting me know!

Mr Dunlop likes this.
  6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

With Fender you can never say never - but it does kind of look like the seller swapped in an American Special pickguard instead of an American Standard pickguard. The seller said they had swapped pickups so who knows if they wound up putting in the Fat 50s and American Standard wiring. As others have said check the wire on the pickups, and check to see how the electronics are set up:
    • American Standards will have the neck pickup wired to tone 1 and both the middle and bridge wired to tone 2, and tone 2 will be a no-load pot that will kind of "click" around "10" (taking the pot out of the circuit)
    • American Specials will have the neck pickup wired to tone 1 and the bridge only wired to tone 2, and tone 2 will be a normal pot

If the pickups and wiring are correct for an American Standard then the seller just wound up using an American Special pickguard when he restored the original electronics.

7. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

My .02

If seller is taking care of it, then keep it and play it. Anything else is buyers regret.

8. Mr Dunlop

The wiring does not have the no load tone pot. Extra capacitors have been added. You can see the broken solder joints were the ground wires for the pickups once were.
    The wiring may be from an American special but its been altered.

tone.png

9. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

I don't think it's a fake. Solder looks a little DIY, but everything else seems fine.

Also, this neck must be very stable. Fender doesn't put quartersawn maple in regular models but you got lucky and this neck is 'almost' quartersawn.

After so much time playing different guitars, I appreciate to have a dependable neck that you don't have to adjust the truss rod so often

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    CB91710 likes this.
  10. R2D2

R2D2 Strat-Talk Member

the seller has agreed to cover the cost for getting me my fat 50s, he seems to want to just buy the pickups and have them wired into the special pickguard. from what I understand, I can just have the guy wire it like an American standard correct? Only thing I’d need is a .22 euf capacitor? Also, are the pots different on the special than the standards? Or is it just the wiring that’s different, cause if that’s the case I might as well just ask him to buy me the loaded pickguard all together from a standard...

11. R2D2

R2D2 Strat-Talk Member

Attached Files:

12. Guitarmageddon

@R2D2

It's already been solved...I was wrong.... @Mr Dunlop corrected me - the soldering is for sure not factory original.

13. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Could be cheaper for the seller to buy a loaded pickguard from "920D" if you send him back the loaded pickguard that came with the guitar

To be honest, the texas specials aren't better or worse than the fat 50's pickups... just different. So it's not like you got a downgraded instrument. Apparently this seller is being really nice with you.

Jeepocaster, CB91710 and amstratnut like this.
  14. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Pots are standard 250k, the only difference is the Greasebucket tone (which may or may not be present), and whether Tone-2 is wired to the bridge or middle.
    Honestly, I prefer it wired to the bridge, but I rarely play the middle by itself, so with the tone on the bridge and neck, I have tone control any time I'm running the middle with either.

15. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

This is 100% the sellers fault. Before selling it, he should of confirmed everything himself...he obviously didn’t. It’s not what you purchased. Great guitar I’m sure, but not what you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.