[HELP] "Genuine Fender" tortoise shell pickguard material blank?! Where?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by matarroano, Feb 2, 2017.

1. matarroano

matarroano Strat-Talk Member

Hi!

Does anyone know where I can buy a blank sheet of "4-ply tortoise shell pickguard material (parchment insert layers)" that PERFECTLY matches the "Genuine Fender" one?

I have emailed several times Fender and the Fender Custom Shop to have this done for me but, it isn't going to happen no matter I how hard I try and appeal to them!!! You can believe I tried to have this happen for me... I've lost count of how many emails and messages I've sent everywhere.

Fender Custom Shop isn't willing to to a "custom pickguard", it just does "custom guitars". It would be 30 seconds of CNC machining. They have the template, the stock material and code for the CNC cutter done. Can't understand why, really!

So, I will have to have it cut myself for one of my Fender guitars... Such color isn't available for the HH Telecaster it is intended. But I need to get the "right proper blank".

I have bought several "after-market" pickguards and I wasn't ever satisfied with them. The color and pattern is completely off the "Genuine Fender". I have to get this right this time...

For reference on the "Genuine Fender" tortoise shell I want, you can take Fender PN 0991372000, Fender Stratocaster HH Pickguard. Does someone know what I have to do to get a this "blank" and later have it custom cut to specs?

It doesn't matter where I buy it and I can pay extra to find the right material...

Any help with this matter is greatly greatly greatly welcomed and appreciated!

Thnaks in advance.

Greetings,

Daniel

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

What you want to do is literally impossible....

Fender will not supply anything but mass produced replacement pickguards, if you have a certain custom shop or other special model with a different shape they won't bend over backwards to make it for you again....

You have to keep trying samples from different manufacturers using sites like ebay, or try Warmoth, or many other companies that make them....

You will find something close but never an EXACT match of tortoise....

Even Fender themselves has variations...

@matarroano

3. cjpeck

cjpeck Strat-O-Master

so what is it you're trying to do? Asking for a match to "genuine fender" tort is kinda like fating in a hurricane. there are/were so many variations that it's pretty much impossible to make a suggestion from your original post. Are you trying to match a particular extant piece or just want "true vintage" replacement? more info and pics's would be needed in order to figure anything out. Tort is a right PITA to match, but there are plenty of good options if you're not matching.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  4. matarroano

matarroano Strat-Talk Member

Ok guys, thanks for your replies... I see. I must try sampling other options.

I want to try to match the PN 0991372000, Genuine Fender Stratocaster HH Pickguard, I already have on one of my guitars, as much as possible...

Having it supplied by Fender isn't going to happen so I'll try Pickguardian this time... I bought one from WDMusic but I'm not happy with what I got from them... A "redish" tortoise shell, with a very different "grain pattern". Not even close to the "genuine Fender tortoise shell".

Anywhere else, besides WDMusic and Pickguardian you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I think it was you that asked this in another forum so here goes.. again.. there is NO genuine specified plastic sheeting. Fender's suppliers supply a tortoise pick-guard material that falls within a pretty broad window of specification.. and they use several suppliers... what you want is a celluloid material.. it is available from WD and Allparts, as well as several other suppliers.. It is NOT cheep as compared to PVC, ABS, and other materials often used for the pick guards...

and even the same exact pick-guards from Fender', with the same exact part numbers supposedly made by Fender and sold as OEM replacement parts can be as different as Nancy Pilosi and Adrianna Lima . . yep both women... there the similarity ends...

Don't be so picky... unless you have nefarious intent in mind..

Ron Kirn