Help: Home made DIY Spray booth.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Exhead, May 3, 2021.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Build a frame from 1x2s, a couple packs of hinges mounted on the frame edges let you fold it flat for storage or open quickly, get a plastic sheet painting drop cloth to staple to it.

While it's popular to hang a guitar body vertically from a stick of wood screwed to the neck pocket, it's better to build a fixture so you can stick the wood stick into a pvc pipe so the body is horizontal and then rotate the stick+body. That way when you spray the front or back of the guitar the paint can lay on the face rather than shed itself like rain water.
    This horizontal mounting method will cause you to build a bigger booth but the finish quality will be better.

Gevalt, StratUp, RobZ69 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Contact someone in construction or one of these companies that sells bathroom remodels and see if you can get one of these tub/shower enclosures they tear out. you can plenty of room. Piece of 4x8 plywood over the top with a tarp stapled to it that you can drop down to cover the front.

Most of them are fiberglass so it would be no issue to cut a hole and install and exhaust fan. Probably rig the whole thing for less than $200, including the fan.

3. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

• Four 10' ¾" pvc plumbing tubes suspended from the ceiling of my garage in a square
    • four 9'x12' 1 mil plastic drop cloths clamped to each
    • one 9'x12' plastic drop cloth draped across the top
    • 2 shop lights suspended inside.
    • edges secured with wooden clothes line clips.
    • When not in use the plastic rolls up.
    • A portable oil radiator heater for use in winter (remove when spraying)
    • respirator...very important.
    • goggles

RobZ69 and Exhead like this.
  4. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Is that a backpack porta potty?

Exhead likes this.
  5. Exhead

Exhead Strat-O-Master

I think one of these will suffice. There is one close to me and cheaper than on amazon. I like the fully enclosed idea and I can port a fan out. Enough room inside to build a vertical stand to "pole" mount the PVC to have it rotate and have a vertical position as @rolandson indicated. Attach the floor to a piece of plywood cut to fit and it would be pretty perfect I think. I can also have it in garage to keep the desert sand and winds blown debris from getting inside.

6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Why?
    Dust, even the most insignificant mote, will ruin an otherwise fine spray job. The whole point for the amateur, looking to achieve excellent results, is to minimize dust.

A fan, absent for real spray booth filtration, defeats the idea. One might as well hang the item outside and take their chances.

Exhead and Bob the builder like this.
  7. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

Exhead and Scott Baxendale like this.
  8. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I’d use rattle cans in the alley, then.

Exhead likes this.
  9. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I paint auto parts on occasion. I generally just set a cardboard box out in the driveway to catch the overspray. If I'm worried about dust, pollen, bugs etc. I can put a lid on it while it dries.

Fender's early paint technique was to drive 3 nails into the front of the guitar (in places that won't show--under the pickguard or jackplate usually). Paint the front of the guitar, then flip it over onto the nails and paint the back & sides.

If I were doing the "paint stick" method with a guitar body, I'd probably construct a temporary & simple tripod, wrapped with plastic sheeting (think tipi) and hang the sucker in there. It just needs to be big enough for what you're painting, and you close it up while it's drying.

Exhead likes this.
  10. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

Honestly, for all that effort I would focus on prep and putting down paint layers then plan on a good wet sand and polish. Also when you paint something with as many curves and radii as a guitar body you have to keep it moving while you spray or you risk dry spots and runs due to the fan out pattern of the paint. Putting it in a little stall like that, you limit your working access to the body. I've painted cars in my driveway, had bugs land in it wet and after a good wet sand and polish they are gone. No matter how well you limit inclusions, you will need a wet sand and polish to get a true glassy finish anyway. You're almost assuredly going to get some combination of dry spots, orange peel, egg shell, runs etc. The wet sand and polish is where the finish goes from amateur to almost pro. And that assumes you put your time into the prep work. Shooting the paint is the easiest part of this process.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  11. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

In that case, I’d get rattle can behlen spray lacquer and spray it outside on a clear dry day. I won’t touch a fender refinish for under $600, so I get the cost factor. Just for reference here is a clip from my spray booth. This system cost around $3500, but it paid for itself in 6 months.

Exhead and StratUp like this.
  12. brc358

brc358 New Member!

E522E816-EEC6-417D-A821-B99322F737E0.jpeg View attachment 4 157266CE-AD55-4473-98B4-D4BF8C6E3379.jpeg

13. brc358

brc358 New Member!

I have built 3 or 4 spray booths like this.
    I use 1/8” masonite, with 1x2 framing with a 2x2 across the center with a swivel hook to hang to bodies and necks.
    Then caulked in all the 1x2( top and bottoms) of all the 1x2
    I then painted it with a bright high gloss white (3 coats)
    My last booth lasted over 12 years and I painted dozens upon dozens of guitars, basses, and necks.
    I have not hooked up the exhaust system in this one yet

14. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Strat-Talk Member

To minimize overspray, bounceback, etyc., get an HVLP system. Much better transfer efficiency than any other sprayers. Even an aibrush puts out way more overspray. And make sure you get a composite handle spray gun with HVLP, unless yoiu want to wear a glove while spraying. The gun will get pretty warm fast.

Exhead likes this.
  15. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

As several others have said, you need both a much larger volume arena and good exhaust ability, otherwise you're going to be sanding off a lot of overspray. Are you rattle canning? Ideally you want to lay down enough volume to get a good wet coat that will flow out, not quite as easy with spray cans. If you use a gun, I would suggest LVLP to keep overspray down.

In Florida, I shoot outdoors year round under a 10 x 10 awning. I have the screen walls I can put up on the windward sides to keep out bugs and floating crud.

No matter how you do it, you need to be using a professional grade respirator mask with VOC cartridges (if you're not already), they're not expensive. Otherwise you doing irreversible damage to your lungs that you'll regret when you're older.

16. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

Also, if you use rattle cans, get one of these...

Z.jpg