Help ID Mex neck!

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by jpmist, Nov 1, 2010.

1. jpmist

jpmist Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I bought a partscaster off eBay and really love the neck. In case my pics don't work, it looks like this:

It has a 2002 serial number: MZ22326XX, gloss finish top and back, vintage frets, vintage tuners, 1 11/16" or 43mm neck, spaghetti logo, and a beautiful vintage tint. Appears to be a 9.5" radius, definitely not 7" and a "V" shaped contoured neck. Decals say " with synchronized tremelo" and "Original Custom Body" w/ the serial number on back of headstock.

What I've researched so far is that most Mex Re-Issues have the same logo and vintage tint, but are the thinner 1 5/8th, 7" radius.

The 2000 era Powerhouse Strats have a similar neck to mine, but w/o vintage tint or gloss front.

My last guess is that it's a Signature Strat of some kind, mine was advertised as a Robert Cray, but from what I gather those have the thinner, rounder radius as well.

I do desperately want to find another neck like this one. It would help if I could narrow down what model to look for on eBay.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• fnt.jpg
      fnt.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
    • bk.jpg
      bk.jpg
      File size:
      98.7 KB
      Views:
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member

Does that have a heel adjust truss rod, or does the hole just look dark?

That is what the decoder tells me. But I've never seen a MIM with a heel adjust truss rod. I'm sure someone will chime in with some more info.

3. jflintmac

jflintmac Most Honored Senior Member

It might be helpful to see the rest of the neck if that is possible.

4. jpmist

jpmist Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I also posted to the Fender Forum and got the answer I was looking for.

The neck is from a Fender Classic Series '50s Stratocaster. I was incorrect about the neck width and the radius. After remeasuring and comparing to a known 7.25" radius. My neck is 42mm and 7.25". Yes, it has the skunk stripe and adjusts at the base of the neck.

Thanks again, now on to eBay. . .

John