Help identify this Dean guitar!

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by IMMusicRulz, Oct 2, 2021.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Strat-Talker

My sister's friend got an orange Dean guitar recently and I wanted help identifying it.

Like when was it manufactured, what is the serial #, etc.?

If anyone has info please let me know. Dean makes some great guitars. The Kansas members played them, and I think John Entwistle of the Who did too.

Here is the picture:

dean.jpg

Thanks

JJ119 and Willmunny like this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Korean (probably) Dean Z. The serial number won't tell when it was made. Very well made guitars.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  3. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

That sure looks sweet. HNGD!….to whomever has it!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  5. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Nice! I WANT it!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  6. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

It's a dean z, but those inlays looks suspicious. Look like inlay stickers to me

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  7. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Nice!

Yoeu Chern makes guitars for Dean. So does World Sound Music. Both of which make fantastic guitars.

Depending on who made it and when, you might be able to tell when it was made. For example, if it was made by World Sound Music, like their current Vendetta XM Tremolo series, the year it was made may be in the serial, which would be in the format WSMxxxxxx.xxxx, where the first 2 digits after the WSM are the year of manufacturing.

For example, the guitar pictured below was built in 2020 but that's all I can tell from this serial #. Guitars built in 2014 would say WSM14xxxx.xxxx or WSM16xxxx.xxxx would be 2016.

Thats assuming they made it. If they didn't, then none of this applies, obviously.

20211007_100523.jpg

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  8. Wound_Up

Those pics are too blurry to make a determination about the inlays.

IMMusicRulz and Chuck8436 like this.
  9. Chuck8436

I can't say for sure, but they do look fishy. The 12th fret in particular. The size just looks off. But it would be obvious in person. If OP's sister's friend likes it, that's all that matters. It's still pretty

IMMusicRulz and Wound_Up like this.
  10. Wound_Up

Looks like "artifacting" from movement while the pic was taken with a digital camera. Either way, it appears to be a nice guitar.

And all its doing is fanning my GAS, now lol. I want a new guitar! Lol. Monoprice just needs to get some in stock and I'll probably be ordering one. I may wait til Christmas, which is another 2 months away. It'll cost me $100 less out of my pocket if I wait til Christmas.

Screenshot_20211013-054420_Chrome.jpg

11. Chuck8436

You're probably right. And I've got a pretty bad case of GAS too. For several guitars! I was window shopping the other day and all it did was put ideas in my head. Lol. Sometimes I think I'd be better off without the internet. I'd have more money in my pocket for sure. That's a nice guitar too. I saw something similar that I wanted, I think it was a Mitchell

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  12. Chuck8436

That one on the top right. But then I saw that one on the top left on sale just now, and my GAS is getting aggravated! Lol. I don't need either of those guitars. It just feels like Christmas morning getting a new guitar. Notice I have a few tabs open there. Ha
    Screenshot_20211014-011433_Chrome.jpg

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  13. Wound_Up

Its different enough from my gold top from the same company that I can rationalize buying it lol. Mine came with a flat/matte back & neck, and it's quite red where this is looks more brown and is obviously glossy like you find on actual Les Pauls.

Been looking for a nice Epiphone but I'm relegated to the used market on those and I'm worried about getting a dud so I'm pretty certain I'll end up buying this one brand new with a warranty. Considering how phenomenal my gold top is, I expect these to be just as great. I can't wait!

14. Chuck8436

I'll be living vicariously through you when you post that ngd thread!

15. Wound_Up

Ahhhh. I was considering Mitchells before I bought the Indio gold top from Monoprice. When it came down to it, Indio offered the best guitar at the best price on paper so I went with them. And I'm soooo glad I did. I absolutely love my 66 DLX Plus Goldtop from Indio. It's easily worth the $499 retail price.

16. Chuck8436

I'm going to look those up

17. Wound_Up

They discontinued this one with a black burst on a quilted maple top right around the time I found them in 2020. Man, I was disappointed. It looks amazing! And the horn on the cutaway is more rounded like on a Les Paul.

They also had another burst similar to the first one I posted but it was more of a red burst, but it was discontinued also.

After they were discontinued, every so often, I'd come across a website selling the quilted top guitar but I already had my gold top so I passed on it every time.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610420

6104201.jpg

Edit: here's the previous flame top they had that was discontinued, that I mentioned above. I like the newer one better than this one, with bright red burst. They've also changed the knob placement on that newest guitar I posted a few posts up. It's closer to actual LP placement, now.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610421

6104211.jpg 6104213.jpg 6104214.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  18. Wound_Up

And this would be why I bought the first Indio to begin with.

Here's a comparable Epiphone. $499

epiphone-les-paul-standard-60s-iced-tea_2_GIT0051910-000.jpg epiphone-les-paul-standard-60s-iced-tea_1_GIT0051910-000.jpg

Vs Indio for $249. Is the Epi worth 2x the Indio? Not a chance.

Screenshot_20211013-054420_Chrome.jpg
    6100152.jpg 6100153.jpg