Join Strat-Talk Today

Help identifying this body

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Strat GT, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Strat GT

Strat GT New Member!

Was wanting to get back into playing guitar and found this guitar at a pawn shop. Knew nothing about Strats when I bought it so I accept responsibility for probably buying a dud without doing research. That being said I thought the guys and gals on here could help me figure out what I do have. It was sold as a 2009 MIA Standard Strat and the serial number on head agrees with that. Got suspicious when I contacted Fender about serial number and according to their records it was suppose to have a natural finish body and mine is black. So I'm posting some pics and if anyone could help identify the body I would appreciate it. I have an idea after some research but I'll not say right now until y'all have a look get some opinions. Thanks to anyone that gives input on this. IMG_20190610_193039299.jpg IMG_20190610_193956500.jpg IMG_20190610_181736383.jpg IMG_20190610_174241969.jpg IMG_20190311_113913336.jpg

Nadnitram likes this.
  2. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

I could be wrong but nothing about the electronics under the guard look US made Fender, or even Mexican made Fender. Also, the pickup cavities look pretty roughly cut—though it could’ve been routed for custom pickups at one point by a previous owner—at any rate, it’s been routed by hand pretty roughly. Plus the finish on the neck pocket looks a little sloppy... coulda even been refinished?

non-Fender body is my guess...but definitley a Partscaster, and likely not a full American Strat, unless it was refinished and custom routed after market.

...ooof—just noticed the bridge/trem cavity! Ouch! What happened there!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Best case scenario: Squier (CV?) body, maybe some kinda Squier neck (refinished + patched screw holes) w/fake US serial, etc., and Squier electronics.

Guitarmageddon and CB91710 like this.
  4. LordOfPudding

LordOfPudding Strat-Talker

Sorry, but that doesn't look like a Fender body. Pickup routs don't look right. Looks like a cheap Asian copy body. Electronics are cheap import.
    Pickups are attached with sheet metal screws... Seriously?
    What's with the threaded rod showing through a hole in the bridge pickup cavity?
    Neck (serial number decal) is brought into question...can we see the front of the headstock, please? Also 12th fret dots?

5. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Most definitely not MIA.

I don't know if I'd even go so far as to call that body a Squier body. Look at how horrible the cuts are on the front and back. I've never seen a Squier with anything THAT bad. Could always be wrong though.

6. Yinzer

Yinzer Strat-Talk Member

That's no threaded rod, that's a spring from the trem cavity.

ChrisD likes this.
  7. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

10 holes on the back of the body... 6 for the original cover and 4 new ones drilled for a Fender cover.
    Large hole all the way through the neck pocket to the back.
    Neck mounting holes are not properly indexed to the pocket (they're measured from the upper wall, lower wall angles away toward the pickup route... I'll bet you $5 that if you put a tight-fitting rod through those holes they are not perpendicular to the body surfaces.
    That is a basic, cheap, generic Asian body, likely basswood.
    I've got one and if it weren't for the awesome paint job, it would not be worth the trouble it is going to be to complete the build.
    Check the scale length... I'll bet it's long and the trem block hits the rear of the route allowing for little movement (unless the route has been opened up)

8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

As others have said of the body, it ain’t American Fender. Also the pickups are ceramic. Wouldn’t see that on a MIA Fender. Probably not any sort of Mexican Fender or Squier. It’s too bad you didn’t check here first.

CB91710 likes this.
  9. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

All’s been said. Now show us more detailed photos of the neck so we can hopefully see it’s not a fake.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's obviously not MiA... The shape is not correct for either "normal" or the CBS style, and the original tuners were replaced, you can see the plugged holes.
    The vintage (CBS) Fender tuner mounting holes were angled the other way.

As mentioned above, best case, it's a low end Squier with a fraudulent decal.

CBS headstock and tuner mounting holes... it's not the same shape.

[​IMG]

11. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

This is a fake Fender that used to be a cheap late 90s Squier Affinity Strat with large headstock and trapezoid tuners, you can see evidence of the filling and re-drilling on the back of the headstock. The font for the serial is all wrong for Fender. Someone took a $50 guitar and tried to make it look like a $600-800 guitar.....

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  12. Strat GT

Strat GT New Member!

Wow, I really feel like a dumbass now... unfortunately I paid $800 for this pos:(

13. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Since it is fake, it could be argued to be fraudulent (as-is sale notwithstanding). Maybe you could return it, but I doubt it.

3bolt79 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  14. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Jeez.. that's so bl00dy annoying. If they've sold that as an American Standard they've misrepresented it. Get yourself back down to that pawn shop asap and ask for your money back, and don't take no for an answer..

Don't even think about keeping it for $800.. its not even worth half that..

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  15. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Total fake; even the serial number font is wrong. The fakers are starting to use real serial numbers so the format will check out on some of those guitar dater sites you can find online. So for kicks I ran this number through Fender's own serial number lookup and it comes up as a legit Fender serial number that is on a 2008 natural ash American Standard Telecaster.

Freaking scammers are getting better at this.:mad::mad::mad:

16. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

You need to get back to that pawn shop immediately.

CB91710 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  17. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

Yup. And if they refuse you tell them your next stop is the police station to file a report of fraud and then the local chamber of commerce, the BBB (or equivalent), Yelp, Google reviews, etc.

CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. Strat GT

Strat GT New Member!

Pics as requested.

Attached Files:

19. Strat GT

Strat GT New Member!

I'm Soo pissed off. Haven't pick up a guitar in 30 years and this is my welcome back.

Nadnitram likes this.
  20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That is one of the best fakes I've ever seen.....I'd see if the shop can give you a refund.....

CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.