1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Help Identifying what were described as "Hot American Strat Pickups"?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by wookielotion, Sep 22, 2020.

1. wookielotion

wookielotion New Member!

Bought a 2010 American Standard Strat off of Reverb for a pretty good deal a few months back. Guitar plays great, sounds great, was basically mint. Love it. There are a few weird things though, one of which are the pickups.

It started with me noticing the neck is higher on the treble side than on the bass side, IE it doesn't fit flush in the pocket... Think it's about a mil or so higher on the treble side? I've still not figured that out.. Currently have it shimmed with a pick and it's level.

So I took the neck off to look at that and decided may as well check the pups out as well just to see. They have PCBs mounted on the back, weird. So I took off the pickup covers and found its two sets of 3 magnets that have the copper wired wrapped around.

[​IMG]

You can kinda see it in the shot. This as far as I can find isn't normal for Fender pickups of the time, so does anyone have any idea what they could possibly be?

2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

They look to me to be a christmas set of P/U's....:D:D.....sorry, I'm of absolutely no help....

I'm sure an expert will be along shortly....there are many here on this forum....

Welcome to the show....

3. wookielotion

wookielotion New Member!

Hey no worries! And cheers! I've lurked here for a looooong time. This place is an incredible resource.

crawdaddy likes this.
  4. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Sorry but I can't see a photo of them just a large red X. You really need to show us some to give us a chance to identify them. From your description I'm guessing SD Rails of some kind.

wookielotion likes this.
  5. wookielotion

wookielotion New Member!

Ah yeah, got taken down for some reason.

Here's an imgur link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/mtIYXcb

6. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

They look like cheaper versions of Fenders Super 55 pups, that were built with the same idea of winding side by side instead of stacked or blades. Can't say for sure what they are, sorry

Cerb likes this.
  7. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

Two coils end-to-end is not unusual in noiseless Strat pickups; many think it preserves treble response better than stacked designs. With no markings at all I agree these might be copies.

I do notice the lines on the bottom are a bit reminiscent of Lindy Fralin's "split blade" pickups in the way they angle away from each other near the center. Those of course don't have regular pole mags. But it's not inconceivable these could be something newer from Lindy.

Lindy makes some good stuff - do yours sound great?

[​IMG]

8. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

This right here.

fenderkev likes this.
  9. wookielotion

wookielotion New Member!

They sound decent! I mean my only frame of reference for single coils are a set of tex mex's on my Mexican strat and I prefer the ones on this one to those. Really hard to say though vs. a real good set or whatever. I'm debating on swapping them for some Lollars and rewiring the thing myself. Just wish I knew what these pickups were! There seems to be nothing about them on the internet.

You would think getting a PCB printed and splitting the poles is a more expensive way to make a pickup vs. just wrapping wire around the magnets and calling it a day.