Help ID'ing Strat Parts

thyman

New Member!
Jun 14, 2021
Missouri, USA
So it looks like I got scammed. I thought I was buying a 60's American Original, but ended up with an AO neck attached to...something else. I'm working on getting the guy I bought it from to take it back, but in case I get stuck with it, I'd like to know exactly what I'm stick with.

The neck is easy, it's a $700 aftermarket American Original neck. The body is probably something Mexican, but I can't find any strat bodies with this pattern of routing. I've attached pics to show what it looks like.

The pickups are also tough to ID since Fender doesn't put part numbers on their pickups. However, they seem to fit the specs for the Pure Vintage ones that typically come in an AO. They have brown pickup wire, which I think means vintage-style plain enamel. The lead wires are cloth--black and cream, and the pickup bottoms are dark grey. DC resistance is about 5.4kOhm for all of them. The pole pieces are staggered and flat (no bevel).

The case also appears to be the type and color that came would have come with an Olympic White 60's AO strat.

Any thoughts? I bought this whole thing for $1,100. Hopefully I'll get to return it, but if not hopefully I'm close to that in parts.

Edit: Also, please let me know if any more info or pics would be helpful. You all know way more about this than me!

image.jpeg IMG_1873.jpeg IMG_1874.jpeg IMG_1875.jpeg

Last edited:

thyman

New Member!
Jun 14, 2021
Missouri, USA
No problem! Here are some pics of the guts:

Attachments

• IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 35

HighwayStar106

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Well those are definitely not Classic Series pickups, but I can’t tell you any more than that. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable forum members will weigh in soon.

jpmist

Strat-O-Master
Mar 26, 2010
Decatur
My curiosity is up for this as well. I've had a few MIM bodies pass thru my hands and I've never seen routing so clean and perfect with zero overspray or polishing residue. That oval depression with the sticker is new to me.

Chipss36

Strat-O-Master
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
Ouch.

that’s a player, or deluxe roadhouse body, looks like to me.

the no paint in control cavity and recessed sticker thing , does look off of even that.

never seen a recessed area like that on an AO neck either…
I have seen it on a 60 fender replacement neck, it not on a AO.

definitely not a AO body.
And at best a 60s replacement neck.

worth at best 1/3rd the cost or less looking at stratosphere pricing.

I wish people with integrity, were cool again.

Last edited:

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
@thyman That neck is a AO 60’s neck. I had the same replacement neck and it’s the part number used for the USA AO necks. Still a plus I guess.

What’s the difference anyway, it’s all fender parts right :whistling:

afireinside

Strat-Talker
Mar 2, 2013
Michigan
Dang where did you buy it from? Reverb? Ebay? How did you pay? Do a charge back on your credit card if need be.

I have a supposedly mint one coming from GC right now. I paid $1350 shipped. As always ill pull it apart to confirm.
Screenshot_20211011-201929.jpg Screenshot_20211011-202605.jpg

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Dang where did you buy it from? Reverb? Ebay? How did you pay? Do a charge back on your credit card if need be.

I have a supposedly mint one coming from GC right now. I paid $1350 shipped. As always ill pull it apart to confirm.
View attachment 512921 View attachment 512922

Great score!! Sad thing here is that the one the OP bought looks identical to yours. Even has the proper AO case.