Help! Japanese or American 62?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Doc_Brown, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Doc_Brown

Doc_Brown Strat-Talk Member

Hi everyone!

I'm about to buy a used strat but I need your help to find out if it's an American or a Japanese made strat.

Here what I know :

The owner passed away so can't have any Info from him or his family.
    The serial is on the neck plate and is the Vxxxxxx format, leading to a 1996 model, confirmed by a pencil date written on the heel of the neck.
    The neck had been sanded off, no "made in japan" can be seen. We can see it was a spaghetti logo
    Everything looks like a 62 reissue.
    2"7/32 string spacing on the bridge.
    The body had been resprayed over a kind of blue
    It has jumbo frets but maybe a refret.
    Rosewood slab board fingerboard.

I can try to find any info requested.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Bonjour Doc and welcome to the forum.

I can't really help with your query although my initial thought is that by '96 serial numbers on MIJ stuff wouldn't be on the neck plate any longer but on the back of the neck near the body join.

I believe the V indicates a US build but bear with us and somebody will be along to confirm for you.

Guitarmaggedon (THE Japan, Korea, Squier expert here) most likely.

Do you have any images you can post? We often see genuine parts put together or neck swaps etc. Images now could save you much pain later....

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

If it was Japanese the serial number would be stamped on the heel of the neck, below a "Made In Japan". You'll need to post pictures to get any useful information..

CyFan4036 and MIJ1988 like this.
  4. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

If the neck plate is original to the guitar, I wouldn't think it's from Japan.

MIJ1988 likes this.
  5. Doc_Brown

Hello everyone, and thanks for your reply.

I don't have pics but I'll try to get some. What parts do you need to see?

I also think it's American, but I know that this serial could be legit for a Japanese. I know also that Japanese can have the serial on the neck plate, but I think it's on older models, like the 80's jv series...

So id'like to be sure :)

Thanks again.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Not by V in 1995/6. V on the neck plate is from US AVRI, if it's a genuine Fender.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  7. Doc_Brown

Thanks. Looks like it could be a good news!

Considering that the neck had beed sanded, logo scratched, respray on the original colors, jumbo refret, original tremolo but massively rust (I think it's a relic attempt) and that there is no sound that comes out from the guitar, what could be a fair price fot that guitar?

I'd like to restore it...

8. Doc_Brown

9. Headstock

Headstock Strat-Talk Member

It's not about the letter in the serial number, it's about where it appears on the guitar.

The point about the MIJ / CIJ Fenders is that the serial number was printed on the neck heel, below the "Made in Japan" or "Crafted in Japan" designation (depending on date of manufacture).

What the guys are saying is that if the serial is stamped on the neck plate then, assuming it's the original neck plate, that's not a Japanese strat, certainly not from the '96-'97 period that a "V-" serial would suggest.

This is a TL62 MIJ Strat, currently on Reverb; this is what the MIJ serials look like:
    (This one happens to be a 1989 "I-" serial)

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 12.55.15.png

rafasounds and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  10. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Can't you hop in your Delorean and go back to the future when it was built, Doc Brown???? :D:D

On a more serious note, welcome and I too agree with others that based on the serial number it is most likely an American RI.....

11. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

What is the asking price? May be worth it if you have the abilities to fix it up- I like trying to give new life to abused instruments. If there is no asking price, try low- balling at first- you can always go higher on your offer but not lower if you are the buyer!

12. Doc_Brown

Aw OK thanks a lot. Sorry for my misunderstood, English is not my primary language...

So what about the value of this poor girl?

@friedAsAbird, sorry I didn't saw your reply.

There is not really an asking price. Before discovering it was resprayed, and that there is no sound we talked about 590 us$.

But now...

13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Well, with no photos, it might even be fake - so we can't help without them.....

14. SpeedKing

Yeah I think the best we can say so far is that it currently appears to be sporting a genuine Fender neck plate.

It's an odd thing to remove a Fender decal. If as you say the neck has been 'sanded off' does that include the area where a Japanese serial (as pictured above) would have been?

And any body with a '62 style guard and 6 point trem looks like a '62 externally.

To assess value you'll need to identify the components to judge both authenticity and quality.

rafasounds likes this.
  15. MIJ1988

MIJ1988 Strat-Talk Member

The MIJ has the string tree directly below the 5th string tuning post.

AVIR has the tree halfway between the 5th and 4th.

Just beware such guitars with a dubious history are harder to resell and you will lose money unless you acquire it for a price that takes this into consideration. I'd be checking if the pickups were swapped out. You could be getting ceramics.

What about the neck pocket. They usually have a red letter stamped from what I have seen on earlier guitars from Japan

MIJ would have either the Tex Special pick ups or the St Vintage but most likely would have used Japanese components. They had 2 models with the Tex being more expensive (alder body, rwood fretboard,) Vintage ( basswood/ maple).

It could also be a 65 with the small headstock.

16. Doc_Brown

Well it's not a fake for sure. It seems that the previous owner tryed to make a relic process and destroyed the clear coat, that's why the logo is damaged.

I'll try to get pics.

17. SpeedKing

There's also the lack of a story or explanation due to the circumstance that has to be considered.

Edit. Just missed that last post with the explanation.

Still not much more to add till images are available.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  18. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

How do you know it's not a fake? I've seen MANY convincing ones.....help us to help you, otherwise this entire thread is pointless.....our goal here is to prevent buyers from being ripped off.....

ANOTHER thing, there isn't a clearcoat over the headstock logo on an AVRI, it's put on overtop of the finish on all of them, just like on real vintage Fender guitars....it's easily damaged....

CyFan4036 and Willmunny like this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Well, you may think that...

CyFan4036, Isca and Guitarmageddon like this.
  20. MIJ1988

MIJ1988 Strat-Talk Member

V signifies Vintage and so is used on both American and Japanese Vintage Strats.