Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help me buy/build my first strat for blues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jeremy05, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Or next week, or try somewhere else. Play everything you can get your hands on. When you find the guitar that fits you, you won't leave without it.

Ebidis and mshivy like this.

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    You could include a green Joyo pedal in the kit.

mshivy likes this.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't forget your Tone Kimono ©

4. Jeremy05

Jeremy05 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I found a used 1989 Eric Clapton series strat is it any good

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

5. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Also I should of mentioned I do alot of solos would I want a wider fret board

6. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Wider than what? All you need is a comfortable fretboard. Only your hands can tell you which one that is. Clapton seems to do all right with his Strat.

7. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Anybody use this line 6 Variax guitar says it models all kinds of different guitars

8. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Paging @simoncroft ...

9. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Get the Clapton! You'll grow to love it. (IMHO) :)

Sarnodude likes this.

10. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Yes, but also @davidKOS, @Mouse and @pauljo1963 have those guitars. For the most part, I'd say they are very useful for modelling instruments that you may not have the budget to purchase, or room in your car to transport. However, I actually prefer the sound of the magnetic pickups when I want any Strat or Tele tones. I have the James Tyler model and it's a very good guitar in its own right, so if you can pick one up used for a decent price, the Variax electronics are an added bonus.

If what you're really looking for is 'the Strat for you', then there's nothing the Variax Modelling can deliver that will meet that need IMO.

As for 'building your own guitar using the Workbench software'... you'll need either the Line6 digital interface box or an HD effects floor unit to use it, and I could't get it to deliver anything as good as the pretty pictures suggested.

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 19.47.25.png

11. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Here's my 2 cents:

You're spending to much time reading about what you "think" you need.

Get away from the internet and play some guitars. You'll find what you need eventually. :D

fattboyzz, RobZ69, Mouse and 8 others like this.

12. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Just get out there and buy a Strat! ......the moon an a stick comes much later :)

Dr Improbable likes this.

13. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Just got back from guitar center they had 1 guitar out of the 7 I wanted to look at and it was the American professional think I'm just going to start buying them and if I don't like it I'll send it back it will take awhile but idk what else to do would still like opinions on the Variax

14. skydog6653

skydog6653 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Indiana
    This thread gets stranger by the minute

duzie and Dr Improbable like this.

15. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan

16. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Maybe it's just a ****ty guitar center I'm going to call around tomorrow after work

17. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Simon, I couldn't ever get the software to work well. I did use the heck out the Variax though before I went on hiatus.

Mouse and simoncroft like this.

18. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I'll get the Variax later at this point I'm 90% sure I want the srv

19. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Don't over think this. Find a guitar that feels right and sounds at least close to what you want. There's plenty of stuff to get you in the zone.

20. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I think part of your problem is you have too much choice! (or... the illusion of choice...)

When I had enough money to buy a Fender Strat, the current model choices were rosewood/maple board and a few body colours. (And there was a hard-tail option.) Or, you could buy a 'used' one, which might mean you ended up with something from 1962 with a 'tatty' finish. :whistling: :D

Since then, there have probably been about 200 different Strat models released, many of which are minor variations on the original, wonderful, theme.

As others have suggested, go and play as many Strats as you can. Try to choose the one you like best, regardless of where it was made or how much it costs, or whether it has the name of someone famous written on the headstock (which their guitars never did, of course).

When you find the one you really like, buy it, take it home and spend your time on it enjoying the process of becoming the best musician you can. :thumb:

If you decide somewhere down the line there are pickups that sound slightly better to you, or you'd like to mod the wiring etc etc... you can do that. You'll have the rest of your guitar playing career to make those choices.

RobZ69, davidKOS and T Guitar Floyd like this.