Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help me buy/build my first strat for blues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jeremy05, Nov 16, 2017.

1. skydog6653

skydog6653 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Indiana
    It's not “The Last Supper”! Buy the best you can afford, and play the damn thing! Nobody can give you the answers you're looking for but you.

2. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I've had no problem with using the software to "customise guitars " especially to balance the levels between the strings and different "guitar models"

the in built strat sounds are usable, authentic enough, especially position 2 & 4

I customised a strat to have neck and bridge together in RW to give an even more quack, I've used this in a live setting for "Lay Down Sally" even had the guys in the band look at me to see a Les Paul shaped guitar have that quack , I have the JTV 59 JTV 59.jpeg

3. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    To continue the Variax sub-conversation, I haven't used the software at all. Where the guitar gives me my ROI (and the primary reason I bought it) is the ability to digitally change tunings with the turn of a wheel. The guitar models are a bonus although I probably only use 6 or 7 of the 30 or so presets on a regular basis. As Simon said, the magnetic pickups are quite good and the playability of the guitar on the whole is excellent. What could have easily been a gimmick guitar has turned into one of my work horses.

4. Jeremy05

Jeremy05 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Ordered the srv should be here tomorrow or the next day hopefully tomorrow I appreciate everyone's feedback

Count Glockula® likes this.

5. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-Talker

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA
    The SRV is such a sweet Strat. I would bite the bullet and buy a new one.

6. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Went with the srv.. really like it so far have a question tho I was thinking of going to guitar center an haveing them put together a srv string pack thing is it says online he used the ghs rockers and the only strings I can buy individual are Ernie ball will it make a difference being a different brand? Thank you everybody for you patience and help

7. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

Are you an experienced player or a beginner?
    The string gauges Stevie used would be murder on fingertips that aren't calloused as hell.
    Using the same strings he did won't make you sound any more like him anyway.
    Any of the name brand strings will be fine. Ernie Ball, GHS, D'Addario, DR, etc.
    I'd suggest just getting your guitar set up for .009s or .010s and letting 'er rip.

Thrup'ny Bit and Ebidis like this.

8. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Congratulations on your new guitar.
    Now just play the hell out of it.

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This^^^

And you are not, and never will be SRV.

Just try being yourself.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    You should also check out the Squier CV 60.

Opps............ just saw you ordered a SRV reissue. Post some pics when you get it.

Second edit: DON'T change the strings out! Play it until you bust the high E and do that again and again on 10 gauge strings.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017

11. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I'm not really trying to copy Stevie but I like his tone that's why I want to go with bigger strings really sexy the frets don't effect my slides feels good I'm happy

Attached Files:

12. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan

13. scottf

scottf Strat-Talk Member

Nov 13, 2017
    West Virginia
    Seriously, this is true. The "blues" are a feeling, not necessarily a guitar. Gary Moore played some of the most beautiful blues I ever heard on a Les Paul. Good Luck in your search.

altar likes this.

14. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Yep, Junior Kimbrough was known to use budget pointy headstock "heavy metal" guitars and cheap solid state Peavey amps and he was badass

conehead likes this.

15. conehead

conehead Strat-Talker

Apr 12, 2017
    way out there
    Goes to show how differently you can interpret "a strat for blues" based on what you listen to...for me it's 50s Pee Wee Crayton, early Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, Ike Turner (pre-Tina years), Magic Sam, early Otis Rush, etc.
    I actually did build my own 'ideal strat for blues' that I'm pretty thrilled with...and came up with something that's almost the opposite of the SRV model.

16. scottf

scottf Strat-Talk Member

Nov 13, 2017
    West Virginia
    LOL.. Now that is funny!!

17. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Strat-O-Master

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    not that I have the bluesiest tone, but I have a guitar w/ the custom shop 69 pickups from fender and it sounds awesome for that. Get any strat that you feel comfortable playing, then swap to the pickups that sounds best for you. I highly recommend these CS69.

18. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Ya I'm already looking at preloaded pick guards

19. Jeremy05

Nov 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I like the sound but I also like to expariment.. I have noticed I miss the longer scale of my old Ibanez rock guitar

20. Arkanstrat

Arkanstrat Strat-Talk Member

Thursday
    Arkansas
    You posted that you ordered the SRV strat, but the strat in the photo has a white pick guard, pups, etc. Did you change that out? I ask because the SRV strat comes with a black pick guard, pups, etc and has the SRV etching in the guard.