1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Help me choose a song

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Zzzzz, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

If you objectively thought about your playing, what would it be that you need to work on, right now? Choose a song that will help you develop whatever that is.

Tonight I had a confluence of a couple things. Keeping it real, I'm never gonna be known as a fast lead player, so if I want to be the best rhythm player I can be, I want to nail my left- and right-hand muting. I want to lock in to that "pocket" and be able to play percussively over the melody to enhance the groove.
    Also, someone in a place non-related to ST that I'm active on made the statement that Gretsch is nothing more than a "Rockabilly guitar," it couldn't be used as a "Blues guitar." Well that's some bull-ish, the tool doesn't define me, I use the tool.
    With that stewing on my brain I busted out my 5622T and figured out James Brown's "Sex Machine." IMHO it sounded great, and not only was it reinforcing my muting techniques (so important in that style) but I also got to raise my middle finger and say "how about Funk then, mofo?"

2. Zzzzz

Zzzzz Judge me and I'll prove you wrong. Silver Member

* Yes, to A, G, E & D. My 2nd & 3rd fingers refuse to land on the C.
    * Yes- E & A
    * Electric

Nadnitram likes this.
  3. Zzzzz

I have listened to this song over & over. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Neil Diamond?!! I probably would've never heard this if you hadn't posted it. Thanks!

Bowmap and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

The verses are E and A. The chorus is E, D, A, and C, so you even get more practice with the C chord!

Bob the builder likes this.
  5. Zzzzz

Update...I found a country-ish song I love!

guitarchaeologist and Bowmap like this.
  6. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

Good choice. I would suggest checking more of the Texas/Austin bands and maybe Chris Stapleton.

Zzzzz likes this.
  7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Work with Am. The shape is the same as E. The transition from Am to C will be easier and since it's the relative minor of C, the Am-C and C-Am move will be useful in a ton of stuff.

Also, try using the full C with the 3rd finger fretting the G note on the low E and the pinky fretting the C note on the D string. It's often easier to move those two finger in tandem and hit both strings than one finger to one string. And you get a fuller sound.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I note you didn't include F and that's usually the one most beginners avoid. That last thing with the full C can be applied to F as well. While the pinky is generally weaker alone, it's a much firmer grip if you do the full F as well. Try it. You'll feel the difference right away. It' subtly shifts the pressure from the first finger to the last 3 allowing you to just lay the first finger on the the E&B without squeezing.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Zzzzz and Bob the builder like this.
  8. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-Talker

Have you heard of Fountains Of Wayne? "Denise" or "Leave The Biker"

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Misty Mountain Hop.

10. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

There's millions of three chord songs that are confidence builders. Try

Can't You See by Marshall Tucker. Ohhhh, I just showed my age

If I'm looking to figure something out I Google guitar chords, insert song and artist here. You can find a lot of stuff like that

https://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/cmaj7.asp

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

One of the first songs I learned, many, many years ago...

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

13. Zzzzz

No, but I'll look them up

14. Zzzzz

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Hitting chords first time, every time makes or breaks a guitarist IMO. I used to be pretty sloppy with fast chord changes but eventually I sat down and improved it.

Joe Satriani has a warmup I’ve adopted where he jumps from one chord to another up and down the neck. Justin Guitar has a simplified method. It’s not fun because you’re not making nice sounds but spend 5 minutes a day working on the hard changes and the improvements show up in your performance (even if it’s just you playing in your livingroom).

So just adopt it into your daily practice. Do a couple of chords. E to Am, A to D, E to C, F to C, etc... Pick a couple of easy ones and a couple of difficult ones and see how many changes you can do clean in a minute. Then move to the next. You don’t want to do too many because it’s not fun but do a few every day and you’ll get good.

Once you can do those quick chord changes then you can learn Let it Be by the Beatles? The opening progression is the hardest part. One strum on each chord:
    F - C - Dm - C - Bb - F - G - F - C

Have you considered One by U2? It’s a deceptively simple open chord, chord progression and it’s the strumming that makes it shine.
    Verses:
    Am - D - Fmaj7 - G

Fmaj7 Is just an F with an open High E on the first string.
    G is an open G with an extra D so you fret the B string on the 3rd fret as well as the E string at the 3rd fret.

Chorus:
    C - Am - Fmaj7 - C

Really simple chords but get the rhythm right and sing it well and it’s an impressive song.

Bowmap, Zzzzz and Stonetone like this.
  16. Zzzzz

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  17. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-Talker

Really listen to Movie soundtracks, while the movie is playing. The songs, writers, and artists are always included in the credits. Groups like Sugarcult, Smashmouth, and Fountains Of Wayne make some pretty nice coin, & get great exposure, doing movie soundtrack numbers.

It's a great way to find groups you like. Joe's Apartment, and Van Wilder have some great sound bytes, of decent groups. There's a lot of others which have very respectable soundtracks. Guardians Of The Galaxy has a great 70s sampler soundtrack. I could go on and on.

Zzzzz likes this.
  18. ThinLizzy73

ThinLizzy73 Strat-Talker

Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard by Paul Simon is great for working on fast chord changes. It has A, D, E, G and B7. You just have to change them at lightning speed. Here's a lesson from Marty. You don't have to learn the intro part to sing along.

Zzzzz and Andrew Wasson like this.
  19. Boubou

Boubou Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Solo

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Andrew Wasson likes this.