Help me choose a tweed amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by David Ivanovic, Jul 14, 2021.

Which amp would you recommend?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2021.
  1. EC Tremolux

40.5%
  2. 57 Twin

40.5%
  3. 57 Bandmaster

18.9%
  1. David Ivanovic

David Ivanovic Strat-Talk Member

Hello,

my name is David, new to the forum, in love with my strat and blues/classic rock music.

I have a BIG dilemma right now so I wanted to ask you guys to share some of your experience and wisdom with me.

Anyway, I want to buy me a tweed amp from my dreams. At the moment I have an amplitube 4 with fender collection 2 and I must say i dig the tone of the tweeds (people say the fender collection 2 sounds similar to the real deal, I didn’t hear a real deal until a few days ago). The thing was a 57 deluxe and I wasn’t really amazed (not my guitar, didn’t mingle with controls too much also).

I live in Germany and at the moment I found a few tweeds. These are the ones that picked my interest: EC Tremolux for a 1750 Euro, hardly played, looks new, 57 custom Twin, 2150 Euro, also like new, played a few times, never gigged, and a 57 Bandmaster reissue, also new for a 2000 Euro. I only have an idea how these sound like through the amplitube, no real life experience.

Now important info, I’ll play these amps in my apartment, so NONE of these will be cranked, even a champ cranked is too loud for my apartment. I just want a nice full cleans with a round bass and a thump. For OD I use TS 808. Im not a gigging musician, I’m a doctor by profession, and play mostly Clapton, Meyer, Hendrix, SRV, Rory, RHCP stuff. However I must say I have a wish to do a few gigs if I manage to find a band.

However, I have a plan to crank the amp whenever I find a possibility (big studio for example).

Wanted to ask you guys if you can help me with my decision. I’ll ofc play all of these before purchase. Which have the best price, which one could suit my needs, and which one will possibly hold its price the best ?

The guitar is a custom shop 59 hvy rel Strat with texas specials and treble bleed, named Juliet ( I’m awkward, yes).

Thanks in advance !

Viele Grüße,
    David

Archtops likes this.
  2. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

i'd say give the deluxe another shot. a very expressive amp and sounds good at low volume. but you have to make it do what you want... the controls matter.

jd35801, dante1963, PCollen and 3 others like this.
  3. David Ivanovic

Tnx for the reply, I’ll do that for sure. The thing is, the deluxe was in the store and with the price of 2200 Euro more expensive than the “used“ counterparts. Wouldn’t it be better to take a ec tremolux, has an attenuator and a vibrato, heard it is pretty similar to a normal 57 deluxe.

4. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Tremolux or twin, but I'd also add 5f6-a Bassman.

Intune and EC Strat like this.
  5. bandmaster

bandmaster Strat-Talker

What didn't you like about the Deluxe?

6. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Welcome! :thumb:

Please submit images of your guitar(s) so we can complete the onboarding process. ;)

7. David Ivanovic

there are some 59 Bassmans LTD to find, not all in the best shape though. I heard also that its really, like REALLY loud. Ill give it also a try when I can find one.

8. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

in an apartment the clapton model with the attenuator is the most logical but logic has nothing to do with buying gear.

you need to play your guitar thru as many amps as you can until you find "the one".

i have left the house a few times to buy an iconic amp only to find out they were not for me.

the only 2 good amps i have ever owned i had not even heard of when i realized the icons were not for me.

9. David Ivanovic

It sounded like... Muffled. Cant really describe, I also couldnt turn it louder so I can really test it. I'll give it ofc another try.

Eric Dahlberg likes this.
  10. David Ivanovic

Also, why not the Bandmaster ? Any particular reason ? It appeals to me like the most, being a limited run of 75 (this one is numbered 74), and from what I've heard on YT, sounds amazing, maybe the best from all three.

11. David Ivanovic

I'll make sure to do that today, tnx. :thumb:

12. David Ivanovic

Makes sense of course, thats why I'll go first to try them all, and when they don't appeal to me, I won't buy any of them. The problem is, I didn't have a chance to test a lot of gear, so a lot of this is based on my view of the things, and the info that I have. Ofc I heard that Mesa triple rec. doesn't really shine in blues, so I have, how to say, only a direction where to look for a blues amp.

Cheers !

henderman likes this.
  13. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talker

Hi David, I think in a different way. Most of these amps sound best if they are used when they are clean but if hit hard start to sound slightly distorted. With all these amps this is hard to manage.
    I use a Tweed Champ with Master Volume (or use a load box) and Blues Deluxe, which resides in our rehearsal room. So start with Tweed Champ, a load box and maybe a small 12 inch box for home use and later get a bigger amp for the band.

14. David Ivanovic

I have a possibility of trying a champ in a store 150km from my place, the thing is, it’s a limited edition and costs 2000 Euro, and I find that very very expensive for such a small amp with only one controll… I’ll try it of course to see at first how it sounds.

Tnx !

15. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I agree that AmpliTube fender 2 is outstanding,

In an apartment fender 2 will most likely net the best tone, just saying

fender tube amps all have a sweet spot, and any listed above is going to be very loud in an apartment, or turned down so much it gets tinny, and bright, a stomp box only makes it worse.
    especially the twin and bandmaster. And the bassman,

The EC Tremolux out of the three is the one I would pick.
    It will surprise you how loud 12 tube watts is,
    All that said, imho , I would not go any less than an amp that runs two 6v6 tubes in push pull.
    The little single end amps to me just don’t have enough power to stay clean. IMO. The low open e string farts out.

For an apartment anything running 6l6’s, will probably never get much over 1 or 2 on the volume knob. Pretty much running at idle. Even a big apartment.

A tweed deluxe should not sound muffled at all, and would be good for your application, they respond to pedals well, something is off with the one you played, sounds like.
    Can’t say I ever played a tweed deluxe and thought it was muffled.
    I used a tweed deluxe in a three piece band for a few years, did fine with it. Plenty loud, and would stay clean if that’s what I needed.

jd35801 likes this.
  16. David Ivanovic

Nice answer Chipss36 tnx. I don't know, I did have a guitar volume at 5 or 6 (though it wasn't my guitar, and didn't have treble bleed) and turned the amp volume to 6 or even 7. Tone was on 9 I think, mic volume on maybe 4 or 5. Maybe it sounded so because I basically sat over the amp (not on the amp but the chair was extra high :D).

Cheers!

Chipss36 likes this.
  17. David Ivanovic

An

And I also agree with the AmpliTube, but the thing that it's all digitally generated and not real bugs me.

Chipss36 likes this.
  18. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Get the 57 Custom Deluxe. I love mine. Of course I don’t like any tweed amp at low apartment levels. I prefer to run mine with volume on 10-11, unused channel volume at 12, tone around 6 and guitar volume to control clean or dirt.

19. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

ditto

20. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

That’s what I thought too when I first got my 2019 Fender ‘57 Custom Deluxe, but after figuring out how the two inputs interact I now am 100% thrilled with the sounds I’m hearing, whether I’m using single coil or humbucker guitars.

It definitely helps if you have someone knowledgeable to give you some tips.

But, yeah, now the Deluxe is my Holy Grail amp...