1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Help me decide: Am Std or classic player 50? i'm in your hands

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hey Bulldog, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:29 PM.

1. Hey Bulldog

Hey Bulldog New Member!

Hi guys, first post! so I decided i wanted a strat as my first "big boy" guitar, just graduated so i received some money.
    My budget is around 900 bucks, maybe 950 if it's a real deal.
    I did some research and these are the (used) guitars i can afford:
    >American Special
    >American Performer
    >American Standard
    (I feel bad for i contacted a seller who was giving away his as goos as new Professional for 900 but he had already sold it).
    Anyway, i think the standard is the way to go, all things considered?
    But there's a problem: i found this beautiful guitar here, a fender classic player 50s stratocaster 60th anniversary (2014), for 900, in ALMOST perfect condition (here's the link with pics, has a very small dent on the back)
    https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/m...er-desert-sand-custodia-rigida_id6714395.html
    Now, i was looking for a maple neck for aesthetic reasons and i absolutely love this vintage-like dark yellow (almost orange) neck, the body finish is nice and unique too. It's made in Mexico but most of the parts are american... It comes with a fantastic tweed case too...
    I'm a sucker for aesthetically pleasing objects, but i HAVE to prioritize sound over look...
    What would you do?
    an anonymous but reliable standard or this classic player?
    Custom shop fat 50 or Original '57/'62 Single-Coil? Heard people saying the latters are the best on yt? Considering i would play both clean and overdriven/distorted tones for blues/rock.
    Vintage style locking tuners or the standard modern ones? Which stays in tune better?
    Is the player's Vintage Style 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo any different from the standard's?
    I also have to consider the soft V shaped neck on the classic player, which i still need to try. Do you find it comfier than the modern C?
    What would you choose and why, based on your personal preferences and experiences with these guitars?
    Thanks in advance guys, hopefully your expertise can help me decide since i'm not very well-versed in guitars.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  2. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Get the 50’s reissue. You can’t go wrong with that one.

Antmax and Hey Bulldog like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I bought my Classic Player when they first came out 14 years ago. The neck was much nicer than the Am Std, there wasn't much difference in anything else apart from the price. I'm still happy with it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    Tim S, Nate D, Andrew Wasson and 2 others like this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I prefer the classic player.

The vintage tuners will stay in tune just fine, and I prefer them over the modern tuners.

The pickups are great on both.

The tremolo is close enough that it makes no difference.

I like the neck on the Classic Player better.

JMHO.

Tim S, Nate D, Andrew Wasson and 2 others like this.
  5. Stratoguy

Stratoguy Strat-Talk Member

I would go 50s stratocaster 60th anniversary.
    Or better:
    https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_fender-stratocaster-mexico-50th-gold_id6387684.html
    Same guitar. lower price.(from my personal list).
    If you want to twist the sound a bit there's plenty of cheap but good PUs to choose: stratocaster is a guitar you'll want to customize sooner or later.
    For me best price value is MIM classic series '60. Rosewood. If you can find any in the market at reasonable price don't think twice, or it'll be mine...

arcticstrat and Hey Bulldog like this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Of course, they're vintage specs, which the Std and Classic Player certainly aren't.

Not everybody customises either, I certainly don't.

Nate D and Andrew Wasson like this.
  7. Hey Bulldog

Hey Bulldog New Member!

idk about costumizing yet but that's a very interesting offer, i guess i would prefer the hard case over that one since i've never owned one and it would come in handy... it's 10 years older than the other but looks mint. They haven't changed anything over the years (other than purely ornamental things)?
    And what are the main differences between the '50 and the '60 series? just the pickups? oh no, so many possibilities haha, thank you!
    Nice, playability is also a huge factor for me since i still have a lot to learn. thanks.
    which one, the '50 or the '60? I'm listening to some demo on yt but it's hard to spot the differences, i get kinda obsessive with these kind of things haha

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 2:02 PM
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

The 50s. The 60s is after my time:)

mCP50.png

9. Stratoguy

Stratoguy Strat-Talk Member

Rosewood fretboard mainly

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Different pickups too.

Nate D and Stratoguy like this.
  11. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master

The answer (my answer) is always, “American Standard”.

slowesthand likes this.
  12. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I would go for the american standard or special.

13. Hey Bulldog

Hey Bulldog New Member!

ah, well i've never had a maple fretboard and they look so shiny and old looking i like them much, rosewood is a bit boring, every guitar i've owned has it in rosewood, acoustic and classical included.
    I've looked into "tone wood" and it doesn't make much of a difference to me, but what about bending and vibrato? is it easier since maple is smoother and glossy? will the finish get ruined with use (it's nitro)? I've only played maple for the first time for a few minutes at the guitar store a few days ago so i wouldn't know.
    May i ask you why? is it for the PU or the good old MIA/MIM debate? Are standards less prone to defects and more trustworthy?

14. Thrup'ny Bit

The 60s has a 12" radius fret board and vintage staggered pickups. Who came up with that bright idea?

15. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 2:40 PM
    Nadnitram likes this.
  16. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master

I
    I just prefer the necks and nice rolled fretboards on the American guitars, that is the main difference for me. I have an American Standard Strat and an American Special Strat and I’m very happy with both. I even prefer these over the the American Professional’s (owned two and now gone).

17. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I like American Made Fenders. I also like the modern C neck profile , rolled edges, fat 50s and hardshell case.
    The American Special is a cool guitar also. I like the neck profile and the jumbo frets

jtoomuch likes this.
  18. Hey Bulldog

Hey Bulldog New Member!

I know, didn't mean to offend anyone, i edited it.

19. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talk Member

I would go for the American Standard personally – but I have had the Classic Player, they ARE fantastic guitars! How about this – you buy one of them now, and in the future – you buy the one you didn't buy this time!? I think this is the ONLY way to make sure you will make the right choice!

20. mexipan

mexipan Strat-Talker

About 600€ used here.
    Great guitars.
    I'd go with that.

arcticstrat likes this.