1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Help me decide: Am Std or classic player 50? i'm in your hands

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hey Bulldog, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:29 PM.

1. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

The 50s Strat from 2014 gets my vote. Has a fuller neck profile that’s much more comfortable than the anemic Modern C. Will likely hold its value well since it was a limited run. Make sure it comes with the original case.

Also, I don’t care for the big frets on the American Special.

Hey Bulldog and RadioFM74 like this.
  2. bblooz

bblooz Senior Stratmaster

I vote for the '50s Classic Player. Well made and the necks are awesome.

Andrew Wasson and RadioFM74 like this.
  3. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

4. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Personally, I’d go with a 2014-2016 American Standard. ;)

5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Ciao Hey Bulldog!

No offense meant, I've been guilty of that myself: you're overthinking it! Go to the shop – Vignola is a short drive for you – and try all the strats in the shop. This will help 100 times more than advice we can give!! It's a cool shop: I bought my first tele there!

That said, some points to consider when you pick your strat:
    - neck profile: key consideration. If you don't know your preferences ("modern" Americans= slimmer) you really should try them: the CP 50s and any Fender with a modern C (you're bound to find some in the shop)
    - value: you'd be buying the MIM new (and not for cheap if I may say), and the MIA used… in case of resale, you'll lose ≈200€ on the MIM, no money on the MIA. You could probably find a nice CP 50s for 600-700 used if you're patient… but the one you posted is REALLY nice.
    - MIA vs MIM: is it going to bug you? Are you going to want a MIA strat? If not, it's not really a factor… IME Classic Players are nice guitars (I've had two) and functionally on par with American Standards (I've had two). At most, they might need some cheap upgrades. And if you go play them, you can immediately see if there are quality issues.
    - maple vs rosewood: purely aesthetic and feel… no difference in bending or anything else, and in order to "wear in" a maple board you'd have to play that guitar every day all day for years
    - pickups & electronics: both sets are great… if you set the height right (memo for later)! Note that the CP50s has a "special" wiring… if you want to restore it back to normal strat, it will cost you 5-10€… not a factor
    - modern or vintage strat? In strats the difference is less pronounced than in teles, but I feel it's still an important choice. American standards and specials are "modern": slim neck, 9'5'' radius and jumbo frets, slightly hotter pickups, locking tuners, 2-point bridge. Classic and AVRI are vintage spec: generally fatter necks, 7'25'' board with small frets, low-wind pickups, vintage tuners, 6-screw bridge. Classic Players are a hybrid: vintage looks and tone, modern features (radius, frets). I started with modern – the internet convinced me that 7'25'' was a handicap – went to hybrid, and now am a hardcore fan of full vintage spec. If you're in the shop, perhaps try a vintage spec'd one! Yes, that beater American Vintage in the corner ;D

What else? Ah yes: PICK THE ONE YOU LIKE IN YOUR GUT!

Go for it… you deserve that strat ;D

PS: if you buy the CP and become tired of the gold guard, you can always slap a white one in there and it will be a super-classic look… But you know, even with the gold guard it's pretty classic…

ryv9vat0tndfrtos00ip.jpg

Hey Bulldog likes this.
  6. arcticstrat

They are sweet for sure.

MIM Classic Series ‘60s

[​IMG]

And one of my favorite MIMs, the Classic Player ‘60s. With a 12” radius, rosewood fretboard, and Vintage/‘69 style pickups, these strats rock.

[​IMG]

Stratoguy, Nate D and RadioFM74 like this.
  7. Hey Bulldog

Hey Bulldog New Member!

God i wish i could walk into a store and grab whatever i want and go home with it.
    i think you forgot the answer mate :)
    Oh wow these are a bunch of very useful info! thank you very much indeed! yes, i was considering to maybe swap the guard eventually, it looks like an easy enough mod even for me, and i can see a few good alternatives, i think black would look killer, giving some Iron Maiden vibes ( i admit that playing blues with a gold plated guitar will look hilarious at best haha).
    I will definitely follow your advice, going to give a try to a good amount of strats before making up my mind.
    May i ask you who's the guitarist in that pic? i surely would like to listen to some more vids of that strat in action
    they do look good but, forgive me Lord for what i'm about to say , all strats, even the whackest knockoff squier, look good to me, there are such minuscule differences between models on the outside haha. If they didn't have different tuners or headstocks i woldn't be able to tell them apart.
    Wonder if Fender will ever modify the strat's body shape, or move the volume knob in a more comfortable position, but i don't know if fender fans are ready for this, too early maybe haha

Nate D likes this.
  8. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

Dude.
    This really depends on your financial situation because American Fenders are simply better guitars, but they’re a luxury good. You could become the next SRV only playing Squiers if you have the chops.

(Totally ignoring rational expenses like rent & food)
    What kinda amp are you playing through? I’d rather have a fancy amp and a serviceable guitar than vice versa. Pedals? Hardcase? Straps? Tuner?
    Maybe buy the MIM and get a cheap parlor acoustic to play in bed at night?
    Maybe a humbucker guitar to goof around with some Black Sabbath when your sick of learning music theory?

I’m just posing questions, Man. The choice is obviously yours.

Nate D and Nadnitram like this.
  9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Buy the Classic Player 50’s Anniversary edition.

1) It’s got the lacquer finish.
    2) It’s got the 2-point modern bridge.
    3) It’s got the soft-v neck with a 9.5” radius. I would take that neck over an Am Standard or an Am Pro.
    4) It’s got the 57/62 pickups. They’re Avery good pickup.
    5) It’s got a unique and useful 5 way selector that is unique to the Classic Player 50’s

I had an American Standard. It was ok but I did not bond with it. Since then I have purchased a Classic Player 60’s that I prefer to the American Standard I once had. I’ve also got an Eric Johnson Strat that is pretty much perfect. I’ve also got a 90’s made in Mexico Strat that I’ve nodded to perfection.

Currently I am pretty satisfied with my Strats but if a Classic Player 50’s Strat shows up, I would buy it without hesitation. I’d trade my Classic 60’s straight across for one if I had the opportunity. It’s a great guitar.

EC Strat, Bladesg, Nate D and 2 others like this.
  10. Hey Bulldog

Hey Bulldog New Member!

i'll try to answer in order.
    >I just want a decently built, easy to play, good sounding guitar for once in my life, i won't be buying another one for a goooood time, i know they are expensive but i plan to use it on the daily and carry it with me for my life if possible. I have never owned expensive gear or anything fancy, i just want one good guitar and i'm good. Btw as i said still not want to spend more than 1K and both the MIM and MIA are around 900 bucks, it's not like i'm SRV as you said, i don't need an unltrasuper guitar, but i would like something better than my 300 bucks flaying V Jackson, i ****ing hate Floyd Rose so much it's unbelievable.
    >I know that AMP>guitar but i think i'll invest in one good amp later in life, for now i'll just use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface if i'll want to make the most out of my new guitar. Or my old amp.
    >I know it's some very low-tier amp, but i own a Fender Frontman 25r amp that my parent bought me around 10 years ago when the small amp that i got with my bundle died. I don't think it's that bad, it does its job i guess, and can be loud AF. Does it have a bad rep? Never plugged in a good guitar before.
    >Got some Van Gogh Amazon strap
    >never had a hard case, but both the MIM and MIA will have it included (that special tweed one is so cool)
    >just have a little ammoon looper pedal and a used Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah pedal, i'll soone get a TS9 though
    >Already boought my Yamaha FG800M used for 150, never had an acoustic and needed to, cheap but sounds good i like it
    >I'm out of my metal phase but i think i would still like to play some on a strat even if it's not really made for high distortion, i've seen many get a good metal tone out of SSS strats before (HSS isn't a bad config but i'd stick to the traditional one for my first strat)
    Oh man you guys are really convincing me, i thought everyone would rec me the std but i'm very happy that for now the majority is leaning towards the guitar that looks nicer to me. Getting very excited (and also very anxious that someone could buy it before me, tomorrow i'll contact the 2 sellers that have it).

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  11. arcticstrat

Nah.... why mess with perfection! :D

[​IMG]

RadioFM74, Blackmore Fan and Nate D like this.
  12. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Well the necks are really different. American std. is a thin c and classic player is C but maybe medium? Don’t remember but feels more substancial in you hand. If neck is an important factor for you as most of people in here (me included) you should start there. Beyond that everything can be easily modified... I would narrow my decision to vintage vs more modern playability...

13. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Classic player 50’s is a soft-V, 9.5” radius.

That’s one of the compelling features of that guitar. I got hooked on soft v necks because of my Eric Johnson Strat. Modern C isn’t a bad neck profile and neither is the thin (shallow) C but I’ll take a soft V over it every time. It feels good in the hand.

14. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Cool! Yeah EJ necks are one of my alltime favourites from fender...

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Ciao @Hey Bulldog

The guitarist in the pic is David Gilmour playing the #0001 Stratocaster (which is not the first ever produced, but still very early). As to sound samples: good strats will all sound like good strats and their color does not matter one bit… so if you want to hear a (black) strat treated to a great player, just grab the "Whish you were here" album, brew your long coffee and sit back… ;D But if you want to hear 0001 specifically, read this: http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=259

I take back my comment about value. I thought the CP was in poly. For a nitro finished guitar in practically new condition, the 60th Anniversary comes at a super good price. If you decide to sell it later it should hold its value well. So personally I would take that one. But again: call Penne, ask what strats they have in the shop that fit your budget, and go try a bunch. Try at least one per kind: a "modern", the 60th anni and a "vintage spec'd" (Classic, Road Worn).

I agree very much with the argument that 5-600€ could buy you as good a strat with less bells and whistles (used Classic Player, Classic…) and leave you with money to invest in a good amp, which is as crucial if not more crucial to tone. But you set the priorities, and if you want to treat yourself to a 900€ strat go for it!

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

It's amazing how many people don't know the difference between a Classic Player and a Classic series.

Andrew Wasson and Ebidis like this.
  17. Hey Bulldog

Hey Bulldog New Member!

Shame on me haha, i never really care much about how famous guitarist look tbh, especially if when i don't listen to many of their live recordings but just the studio ones.
    Oh that's nice, you know, i contacted another seller who was selling it for 950, asked him if he could lower the price to 900 and he accepted. It's this one
    https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/m...-60th-anniversary_id6743508.html#lg=1&slide=0
    This one is in even better conditions, no dents or anything, bought by a collectionist so most probably it sat in its case for years, it's basically new.
    I'm taking a train to go and try it out before eventually buying it if everythings goes smoothly and i'm convinced, but i need some neck comparison as you say, so i'm heading to a few guitar centers beforehand. Problem is, they hardly have "old" models (they didn't have am std for example) other than the vintage strats (i'm too terrorized to hold and play an 8K instument for now), so what do you say i ask the guy? I need to try a modern-C, C and if they have it soft-V neck, i can ask (again) a Pro for the modern-C, what are some very popular contemporary models i can ask for a normal C shape? even MIM, just need to feel the different neck shapes.
    Also i'll try as you said some others for the sound, last time i hardly heard a difference between pro, pro II and performer...

Also you are right about the price, but apparently there aren't many classic players on the market, this is the only one with mostly original parts i found on mercatino muscale, it's older and in way worse conditions and costs 680 (!)
    https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/m...c-player-50s-customshop-mexico_id6676448.html
    I guess they really are good guitar if people aren't selling them.
    Yeah haha for this one i'm treating myself i guess, i think that owning a beautiful instrument that you admire help you practice more, eventually.

I'll also ask you: How do you value the build quality/set up of a strat before buying it? Like if the neck is straight and all those things? Are there particular things that i should look for/measure/test?
    Really hope everything turns out fine...
    Heard some people say bad things on the classic serie.

18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

They're good guitars, I've never heard anything bad about them. The difference is that the Classic series are classic vintage specs, 7 1/4" radius, small frets, vintage bridge. The Classic Player 50s is effectively a Am Std with a nicer soft V neck.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 4:05 AM
  19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

That is a pretty sweeping generalization. I have a lot of experience with Classic Player Strats and Teles, and I can say that in my experience, they are in no way at all inferior to American Fenders, and depending on what specs you like, can be better.

I have a Baja Tele that will stand against ANY USA production Fender.

JMHO/YMMV

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

True yeah? altogether different. As I said in my previous post, the CP's will stand up against any USA Fender.