Help me decide ......SSS or HSS

DUSTER44T

Strat-Talker
Mar 11, 2014
North Huntingdon, Pa.
I have a few Strats and all are SSS. I'm in the middle of putting my own touch to another one but I'm thinking of doing something a little different than I usually do. I think I'll make this one either HSS with the standard chrome covered Humbucker or go with the SD Hot Rail (Humbucker) that's the size of a single coil. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
A regular humbucker means replacing or modifying the pickguard. The HSS I had, I couldn't get any quack out of position 2, even with a coil split. That's a standard side-by-side humbucker with no slant, it's possible a hot rails or stacked humbucker (keeping the slant) would still quack, esp. if you are able to split the coils.

I wouldn't recommend HSS with a side-by-side humbucker as someone's only Strat. But then, to me that Knopfler sound is one of the main reasons to choose Strat (vs one of the other guitars) so I am not exactly objective here.

Namelyguitar

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jun 3, 2009
Mobile Bay, Alabama
As someone who enjoys SSS, HSS, and 3 HH guitars (plus 3 HH basses) at the moment, it looks like you are missing out!

Between all the JB equipped Strats, to those with Dimarzio SD in the bridge, it may be time. Check out the discussion, and the myriad of videos on those two pickups alone.

jrbirdman

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Member
Feb 3, 2016
Puget Sound
Well since you've got SSS's in the stable you may as well expand your horizons...go for humbucker in the bridge. There are a lot of good humbucker options to choice from.
Have fun!

Handsome McClane

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 6, 2020
Sacramento
I got rid of my HSS Strat about six months ago and don't miss it a bit. At least with mine, the humbucker sure didn't sound Stratty, so I was missing 2/5 of the Strat tones that I get with a SSS.

Jesse414

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 1, 2019
Wisconsin
I think you should do a 2 humbucker strat and it should be dark red with a black pickguard and rosewood or indian laurel fretboard and the humbuckers should be pearly gates. I know it seems like I'm telling you what I want but you will want that too you just don't realize it yet. :)

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
Most of mine are also HSS way more variety of sound and more possibilities for custom wiring.

KillingTone

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2017
Yardley, PA USA
A regular humbucker means replacing or modifying the pickguard. The HSS I had, I couldn't get any quack out of position 2, even with a coil split. That's a standard side-by-side humbucker with no slant, it's possible a hot rails or stacked humbucker (keeping the slant) would still quack, esp. if you are able to split the coils.

I wouldn't recommend HSS with a side-by-side humbucker as someone's only Strat. But then, to me that Knopfler sound is one of the main reasons to choose Strat (vs one of the other guitars) so I am not exactly objective here.
If you check out my avatar, you’ll see a SD Hot Rails in the bridge. I also have a coil split wired to a push/pull in Tone 2. So, I have a great hot HB plus a pretty good single coil sound when split, and I can get quack in position 2 with the coil split plus some 60 cycle hum, which is strangely pleasing to have since the middle and neck are Gen 4 Noiseless, and they are definitely noiseless. Would not change this set up for anything.