Help me figure out what I'm doing

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Wayne, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Did you try it?

Wayne likes this.
  2. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Silver Member

I tend to have my guitars for a long time. And I really enjoy playing a nice instrument. So, I tend to get nicer guitars than I need (or sometimes can arguably afford), but I have never regretted doing so ... in fact, I am often grateful that I have the instruments that I do.

I started buying more electric guitars a few years ago. But as soon as I bought a nice Taylor, the electrics were spending a lot more time in their cases, lol ... I don't think you would regret buying a really nice acoustic. You might really like it ...

Gobo Fraggle and Wayne like this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

I ended up with the used Fender Paramount PM-2. It just kind of spoke to me. Either that or the demo with Chappers and the Captain has be brainwashed.

Couple questions as I am a first time acoustic owner here and saw some things during a string change.

1) one of the bridge pins was damaged, kind of split along its length. The high E. There was another bridge pin in the case so I replaced it with that, but it looks a little different. Is this a big deal?

2) Some of the strings are cutting into the wood next to the pins facing towards the bridge. Normal?

3) Some of the pins tend to pop out until I get the string tightened then they're fine.

4) The output from the jack is quieter than my electrics but sounds fine if I turn up the amp.

5) String recommendations. It came with yellowish thick strings that sounded nice but they were corroded and kind of dead. I replaced them with phosphor bronze light Ernie Ball Earthwoods, which feel softer but are a bit thinner and don't sound quite as solid. For my next set should I go to a thicker gauge or maybe try silk and steel? Which acoustic strings are yellowish?

I can also stop by the store and ask them to check out the bridge but it's a bit of a drive for me so I'd like to be prepared if I go. FWIW the guitar and case look fine, almost like new, and there is no indication the guitar was abused or damaged other than the bridge issues. I'm not sure if that's just normal wear and tear or I should be worried.

Gobo Fraggle likes this.
  4. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

First off, congrats and happy new guitar day!

Now regarding the questions.

No, replacing bridge pins is no big deal. If it matters to you that they match, get a new set of pins at your next string change. Bridge pin sets don't have to be expensive, a quick search tells me the plastic kind should be available for about $6. If you want fancy, there are ebony, bone, tusq or whatever. If you want a little bling on the guitar you could get some fancy ones. They're not complicated, you could even whittle new ones out of a twig (which I have done, when I was broke).

Normal. In fact, sometimes during a setup those slots get deepened to improve the break angle at the saddle.

This happens if the ball end is under the tip of the peg. The ball is supposed to wedge up next to the peg, so that both the peg and the ball are tight and secure. Having the string under the tip of the peg can split the peg or even shoot it out of the guitar.

This guitar has an under-saddle piezo, and a Fishman preamp. Correct? First step is to make sure the 9v battery is in good shape, and never ever leave the guitar plugged in or it will drain the battery. If a battery replacement doesn't help, the preamp board probably has a micro-pot on it (the Fishman preamp on my Carvin does), if you really care you could open it up, find the adjustment and turn up the output on the preamp.

Acoustic string wraps are usually phosphor bronze or 80/20 bronze. 80/20 is more yellow, while phosphor bronze is more red. The phosphor kind doesn't corrode as quickly, but the sound is a little darker to begin with. 80/20 is super bright and zingy when new.

As far as gauge, you should experiment with string tension to find out what your guitar likes--they're all different. Try tuning up and tuning down to get a feel for how the guitar handles with more or less tension. Maybe try tuning the b string up to e--which will show you how a string set with that gauge for the high e will sound and feel, right next to your existing string. Or tune the high e down to a b, to go the other way. Major changes in tension across the whole set may require a truss rod adjustment.

Gobo Fraggle, rgbedard and Wayne like this.
  5. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker

Came to offer insight only see it’s not congratulations. :) Enjoy your new acoustic!

Wayne likes this.
  6. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

Thanks so much, dirocyn. I was getting a little panicky in the early morning. Had to keep reminding myself it's just a guitar. I watched a video and visited some pages on acoustic string changing but I still need to learn more about how the bridge works.

My OCD is inflamed looking at the one oddball bridge pin but I guess I can fix that by ordering a new set. As long as the whole bridge isn't going to self-destruct.

I don't have a pic yet but here's what it looks and sounds like if anyone is curious. I can't play like these guys but mine sounds almost exactly like this, or at least did until I changed the strings. :D

7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

That looks beautiful. Congrats! I will check that out as I’m looking for an acoustic myself. Thanks for the vid.

Wayne likes this.
  8. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

Thank you! Yes check it out. Prices are fair considering you get a nice hardshell case with it. Apparently Fender acoustics have a poor reputation due to some dogs produced decades ago, but the new ones are great. Works out for us buyers.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

good score- hearing good things about Fender Acoustics

Wayne likes this.