Join Strat-Talk Today

Help me ID this Strat that I might purchase?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratatouille, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Stratatouille

Stratatouille Senior Stratmaster

Sorry for late reply been real busy! Here you go, I think its a Fullerton curve?

Attached Files:

3bolt79 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  2. Stratatouille

Here's some shots of it disassembled

Attached Files:

3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Still haven't been canceled yet, working on it Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah that looks like the Fullerton curve, they would sand those cutaways like that at Fullerton, they stopped being that sleek once the production at Corona started. You're lucky, these are expensive guitars.

3bolt79 and Stratatouille like this.
  4. Stratatouille

Here are closeups of the 2 markings I found. One is on the back of the pickguard the other is in the middle pickup route

Attached Files:

5. Stratatouille

So does that mean this could be a Fullerton body??

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Still haven't been canceled yet, working on it Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm certain that it is, they 86 strats were most likely done at Fullerton and assembled at Corona during the transition, the factory in Fullerton closed down in 85 and they moved everything to Corona and in 86 began working again.

I consider this a Fullerton 62 reissue

3bolt79 and Stratatouille like this.
  7. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Glad it worked out for you man, great guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Stratatouille

Wow now I feel like I own a little piece of history!

bojanbeo, 3bolt79 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  9. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

10. macoshark

macoshark Strat-Talker

o_O Are you kidding me:eek: Stop what your doing. Grab your credit card. Get in your car and go to the airport. Now 1st class to Vegas. You sir are on what we call a "roll". Somewhere , sometime, you did something really unselfishly good and now the Universe righted the scale.:thumb: Unbelievable:p

Stratatouille likes this.
  11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Not true at all.

There were very, very few Fullerton parts left at the time of the sale and they were all used before the end of 1985 per the sources I've talked to at Fender.

Early Corona parts are identical because the same people made them - and they were made that way well into 1987.

Even the first 3 months or so of American Standard bodies had the Fullerton Curve

EDIT: The transition was earlier; CBS stopped making parts in December 1984. Corona was set up in July 1985 and producing instruments in October 1985.

12. Guy Named Sue

John I respect your knowledge about this and trust that you know more than me, I was under the impression that the 86 ones were made with Fullerton made parts, I want to say I got that from our old member stratman323 but he's no longer here and my memory fails me.

So I'll leave it at that.

13. John C

No worries; I got that info from Rob Schwartz when he was still at Fender. He was on the line back then, in QC, and by the time I had that online discussion with him he was head of Customer Services (Dealer Relations, Customer Relations, Warranty, etc.). Rob got laid off in 2015 - about 4 months shy of his 30th Anniversary with FMIC (plus he was there from 1981-1984 in the CBS years; he was laid off in the Summer of 1984 as CBS was laying off people left and right at Fender).

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  14. jpmist

jpmist Strat-O-Master

Not to be a downer but in the next ten years there's going to be a flood of old boomer guitars that guys bought in their 50's as their dream guitar they never ended up playing much. The wives and heirs would rather just cash it out asap than going thru the hassle of eBay or Reverb.

I'm one of those guys and my two partcasters will go for a song . . .

CB91710 likes this.
  15. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice Strat!
    Is the neck slim?
    I've heard that 1986 AVRI's have slim necks

Stratatouille likes this.
  16. Stratatouille

Yes it is slim and it's NICE!!

17. Gemini 51

Gemini 51 Strat-Talker

What a fascinating post this is, the knowledge within and the way people impart it is surely what makes this forum what it is......brilliant

Cymro and Stratatouille like this.
  18. Stratatouille

So how do you explain the CTS pots in my guitar having a date code of November 1984 (R1378447), it has a Fullerton Bridge too, has that little lip behind where the trem arm goes and possibly a Fullerton body? Sounds like leftover Fullerton parts being installed into 1986 RI's to me?

19. Stratatouille

The body also has the 'dowel holes' on the back for the pin router template.

edit* there are also 2 dowels visible on the front of the body

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 4:33 PM
  20. John C

Sorry; I should have been more specific and said bodies and necks were used up early on; things like pots, switches, bridges, tuners, even pickups were in larger stockpiles and were used until they were used up.

Regarding the dowel holes they were still using some of the same equipment to build the bodies - it's not like they bought all new equipment for Corona - they cherry picked what they wanted to purchase from CBS and what they didn't want they bought new. They may not have the pin routers any more, but they had them at one point in time (or they still have them but don't use them for bodies and necks any more).

Just curious - what is the date stamp on your Strat's body? That could perhaps date when they ran out of Fullerton bodies and necks and that they lasted longer than the guy I got my info from remembered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.