Help me identify this "AVRI 57"

JTPHead

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 18, 2021
Ireland
It's hard to know man... I mean - *is* the body original? It could be, I'm not really expert enough to say... but - if you Google 'AVRI Stratocaster Neck Pocket', you'll see that most examples show a neck pocket that has *at least* one extra hole... this one doesn't... and the more I look at the stickers - I think as @Guitarmageddon has suggested, it looks like somebody literally went to the trouble of printing out fake stickers. The barcode stickers usually have rounded edges, not squared - a very small detail yes, but when you add everything up... the font on the backplate, the serial number results / other... I'd be very weary.

Out of principle, I wouldn't be spending anything. Not that's it not worth anything of course - it could be the best guitar in the world, but... for me – I'd be avoiding it because the seller hasn't been forthright at best - and if you ask me, at worst - is knowingly selling a guitar as one thing, when he knows it is not that thing.

Probably not what you wanted to hear!... good luck though 👍
I wanna believe he didn't know, and just copied and pasted what the previous owner said. But you're right about everything else, I'll just pass.
Thanks again folks

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
I wanna believe he didn't know, and just copied and pasted what the previous owner said. But you're right about everything else, I'll just pass.
Thanks again folks
I know man... listen - it's entirely possible he is innocent, and doesn't know what he's is got, is not what he thinks it is - but... the serial number alone, that would be enough to send most people running! The right one will come along, and you'll be glad you waited 🙏

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah it’s anyone guess really. I think you have a AVRI 57 body and some decent pickups. Everything else could be anything. Yes the AVRI neck pocket should have 2 extra vertical holes but there was a certain year that didn’t have them. Also I was mistaken in my earlier post about the solid colour stamp letters. Here’s a few pics I found of the no “extra” holes on 2010-2011AVRI 57. Also the solid colour stamp. These can be faked but that’s getting a bit extreme which a dead giveaway is the cheap vintage type tuners. Why get a stamp made up and then install those knock off looking tuners? 0910533B-671E-484C-A522-9F2A235DF6E6.jpeg 6A95E104-8338-4DB1-B196-4266D3760194.jpeg 12FA85BE-B600-4497-8994-4263E5709B49.jpeg FEE2483A-5119-4E0A-8BAB-49672545384D.jpeg

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050

JTPHead

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 18, 2021
Ireland
I wonder could the neck be a (lacquered?) Mexican Classic Series / replacement neck? The end markings appear very similar?

View attachment 574701
View attachment 574703

Might explain why the decal appears to be underneath the finish in the OP?
No clue... the serial number says 2016 FSR Wildwood.
I really don't know enough to judge. They look similar to me, but I'm far from a reliable when it comes to these details :D

sunburst_xxii

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
R86050
No clue... the serial number says 2016 FSR Wildwood.
I really don't know enough to judge. They look similar to me, but I'm far from a reliable when it comes to these details :D
We’re all learning! The one thing I can say with certainty is - it is not a 2016 Wildwood FSR in White Blonde… which is what the serial says. And because the serial says that - it really throws everything into doubt. The reason I ask about the neck is… well - as @Intune pointed out, the body probably IS an AVRI body - and if the neck was a genuine Fender neck, be it the original AVRI neck, or a replacement Mexican neck, along with the Custom Shop pickups - it might be a good enough almost-all-Fender partscaster? And if you weren’t paying huge money for it, but purchased it knowing it’s not all original - under no illusions at to what it is, you might be happy enough with it? I don’t want to unduly influence anybody one way or another… just offering my two cents :) 👍

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
We’re all learning! The one thing I can say with certainty is - it is not a 2016 Wildwood FSR in White Blonde… which is what the serial says. And because the serial says that - it really throws everything into doubt. The reason I ask about the neck is… well - as @Intune pointed out, the body probably IS an AVRI body - and if the neck was a genuine Fender neck, be it the original AVRI neck, or a replacement Mexican neck, along with the Custom Shop pickups - it might be a good enough almost-all-Fender partscaster? And if you weren’t paying huge money for it, but purchased it knowing it’s not all original - under no illusions at to what it is, you might be happy enough with it? I don’t want to unduly influence anybody one way or another… just offering my two cents :) 👍

Yeah exactly. It COULD be made up of nice fenders parts. I’m certain the body is a 57 AVRI, the neck definitely has the same markings as the lacquer series pointed out. So yeah if it’s $500 or so you definitely have that plus some just parting it out later on. $2000 I’d move along.

JTPHead

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 18, 2021
Ireland
Yeah exactly. It COULD be made up of nice fenders parts. I’m certain the body is a 57 AVRI, the neck definitely has the same markings as the lacquer series pointed out. So yeah if it’s $500 or so you definitely have that plus some just parting it out later on. $2000 I’d move along.
It would be around 500 bucks, yes, but I still have no guarantee that the pups are legit... if I did I would try to go for a 350/400 offer, maybe, but the neck might be a dud, the pups could be a dud. I think I'll pass.
I'm considering looking for a Classic Player, I see many people compared them to MIA, so if I can find the right color and price I might pull the plug

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
It would be around 500 bucks, yes, but I still have no guarantee that the pups are legit... if I did I would try to go for a 350/400 offer, maybe, but the neck might be a dud, the pups could be a dud. I think I'll pass.
I'm considering looking for a Classic Player, I see many people compared them to MIA, so if I can find the right color and price I might pull the plug

Yeah if you’re looking for a numbers matching factory original fender then definitely steer clear of this one. So the person was only asking around $500 for a supposed 57 reissue? If so he obviously knew what he was selling.

Either way stay far away from this one. Me personally I’d be all over it. I’d love to have that body and those AVRI bodies are going for $500 or so. Still not what you’re looking though.

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
Yes the custom shop sticker pickups are replacement pickups. They wouldn’t have the stickers if factory installed in a custom shop. The AVRI fenders never came with custom shop pickups, as far as I know.

So yeah the whole thing is made up of parts to recreate a 57 reissue or to fool someone thinking it’s a factory build fender. That’s the thing with partscasters and fender selling individual parts. The person who put this together originally could have built it for themselves. Sold off one or more times, the history/story of the guitar changes. Now it’s being sold as a 2001 57 reissue. Which it’s clearly not.

No they didn't. This is some sort of partscaster. Unless that's what you want (and I wouldn't...) walk briskly away.

JTPHead

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 18, 2021
Ireland
Yeah if you’re looking for a numbers matching factory original fender then definitely steer clear of this one. So the person was only asking around $500 for a supposed 57 reissue? If so he obviously knew what he was selling.

Either way stay far away from this one. Me personally I’d be all over it. I’d love to have that body and those AVRI bodies are going for $500 or so. Still not what you’re looking though.
oh no, he was asking for 1200 or something. But when I told him things don't add up, he (supposedly) spoke with the previous owner and told me that if I still want it I can have it for that kind of price.
But yeah, I'm leaving it where it is

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Damn ahahaha
Well, I have to wonder if he knows... why would he put everything on the internet instead of hoping to find a buyer that wouldn't open it..

Thanks a lot folks!
He may not have been the one to assemble it. He may have bought it thinking it was legit.

Such is the problem with having the attitude that counterfeits are ok as long as it's for your personal use.
Sooner or later, it's going to be sold, and the person who sells it may or may not know it's a fake.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Ryan, would the bar code sticker for the body and the neck having the exact same number also an issue ? I always understood that those were inventory ID and should be unique to each part.
Not truly inventory ID... rather actual part numbers, so two necks or two bodies could have the same sticker.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Checking the serial on "guitarinsite" says
Production year: 1991 or 2001
(Vintage series, except ’52 Telecaster, these have a 5 digit number on the bridge plate) (Factory: Corona, USA)
Why is it so much different than the official fender website?

Do the pickups look legit at least? lol
Delete your bookmark to that site. It is worthless.
And even if it were close to being accurate, the problem with dealing with a fake is you could use a serial number that fits legit patterns... but it is still a fake.
There are thousands of fake Les Pauls that use the same "00170428" serial number, which looks like a legitimate number.

The pickups *may* be legit, but if they are, they are "Custom Shop" pickups that were purchased and installed by an owner. Production Fender models do not have the CS stickers on the pickups.
The pickguard is lacking any foil or metal shield... any legit Fender would have that, a '57 would have a solid metal plate under the controls. This one doesn't even have the foil.
It's not an AVRI '57.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
He may not have been the one to assemble it. He may have bought it thinking it was legit.

Such is the problem with having the attitude that counterfeits are ok as long as it's for your personal use.
Sooner or later, it's going to be sold, and the person who sells it may or may not know it's a fake.

That’s the sad part about it. Say these are legit fender parts. Fender neck and fender body, hardware and pickups. Someone’s personal partscaster made of fender parts to resemble a 57 reissue. Neck plate and all. 3 sellers later it’s being sold as a 57 reissue for $1200 or so.

It’s a huge grey area because like many members on here probably have these similar builds using all fender parts. We all build them for ourselves but somewhere along the line it ends up for sale. We can’t all take our gear collection to the grave. So basically stop buying fender replacement parts and buy complete from the big box stores? No way around these personal builds getting out into the public.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Not truly inventory ID... rather actual part numbers, so two necks or two bodies could have the same sticker.
Yeah didn't express myself quite correctly here, but the concept of a body having the same part number as a neck is an indicator that it's not an accurate sticker. no ?