Join Strat-Talk Today

Help me make a decision on a Fender combo amp...

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Shades of Blue, Aug 5, 2019.

1. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

Where are you located in SC? I live near Clemson if you want to try out some amps. I have a X2 head and a 68 Custom Princeton. I also have a Supro Comet and a Vox AC10C.

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Has anyone recommended a Champ combo? That would be my nomination for the OP's stated needs, at least cost. Otherwise, I'd go with the Princeton.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  3. afireinside

afireinside Strat-Talker

Man was just going to post the same thread.

I have a 65 PRRI tweed with the cannabis rex 12. Yes it is big $ new.... should be $7 to 800 new but still no regrets. I do love it great cleans takes pedals well sounds amazing. I have a 10" ext cab with a stocker 10 that sounds good and a early 80s music man 112 cab with a stock speaker and sounds even better.

But was looking for something different just because why not. Ive seen the limited green Bassbreaker with greenback but have never played one before. And looking at reverb at a clone 57 champ again i have never played a 57.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Ite...zCNcsHpzsJ7tvHbOiuAxDzNYFfFpl90RoCLlQQAvD_BwE

Im leaning for the $650 57 clone. But the $725 bassman looks nice too....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The Tweed Bassman is the best sounding amp I’ve ever played. They are incredible sounding if you like a full bodied tone with mids present.

5. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

I'd go for a center-volume brownface Vibrasonic.

6. draelyc

draelyc Strat-Talk Member

I don’t really have anything to add to this thread — other than reading with interest. Just wanted to say hi, as I’m in Clemson. Small world! :thumb:

7. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

I'm in Liberty actually but nobody knows where that is, so i just Clemson or usually near it.

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Your choice list includes some very different beasts, so probably you have to make up your mind on what you’re really looking for.

The SCX2 is plain great for a little home amp giving you VERSATILITY. Lots of good tones, lots of good onboard effects, and once you’ve set it up to your tastes you can dispense with hooking it to a computer completely. I’ve had it for a long time, and as a home amp giving you a wide palette of Fender (and Vox) tones it’s an AAAA+ choice. The only reason I sold it is that it struggled at band practice and so I wanted something bigger.

If you want to go the all-tube route it’s one sound, clean or dirty with pedals (just forget about “cranking” it at home!), and satisfying to out purist minds. Since I sold the SCX2 I’ve gone down that route and I am now happily accumulating amps… If you go down this route, the Princeton is a very good choice if you want to play at home and go jamming out with your friends. Indeed, in this case a Deluxe might do the job just as well if not better both at home and in the practice room. But if it’s strictly home use, you are forgetting the most natural choice in Fender-dom, the Champs:

- I have a 5F1 clone that is, quite simply, the best-sounding of my amps at home volumes. It’s a Mojotone kit that I bought already assembled for way less than your budget. With an archtop, pure swing. With a tele, instant Western Swing and country. With a strat, you can blues away all day. I suspect it would take a harmonica well too! It’s just so toneful and tuneful. (And it’s loud enough that I could gig with a 17-piece big band in a not-too-big Auditorium!).
    - For your budget you could buy the two flavors: a tweed champ kit and quite possible a “real deal” vintage black/silver champ (or kit). Slap a good reverb pedal on the deal (no need to go all fancy and spend lots of money) and you have a spectacular, versatile set-up.

I promise, 5W through a 8’’ speaker are PLENTY for home jamming with any instrument. To convince yourself, just go out and try a few, and also try to “crank” a PRRI in a shop and see if you could ever do that at home :D

9. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Strat-Talker

I am right out of the loop with respect to current amp options and offerings. I might want to get another one soon.

It would have to have spring reverb. And tubes. And weigh less than 20 pounds. Doesn't need more than 10 watts. Single channel is ok I have a pedal board for grind.

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I bought a used twin from a mom and pop. Wasn't big bucks and the amp was only a few months old. Customer bought it new, decided it wasn't for him, and returned past the 30 day return policy, so he traded it on something else, and I bought it. I figured out why he didn't like the tone, it had a bad power tube. It was a silver face re issue. Tubes can last two weeks or 20 years. You never know what you're gonna get.

11. Smurphy28

Smurphy28 Strat-Talk Member

I was on the same journey as you a few months ago. After tweaking and swapping tubes, speakers, etc. in a Blues Jr. for years I sold it and needed a replacement. I never liked how it sat in the mix with my band - always too muddy or just boring sounding.

I ended up buying both the 65 Princeton Reverb RI and the 68 Custom Princeton used. I kept the 65 - hands down. It cuts through the mix well and when I run it in stereo with my Vox AC15 holy moly is it an amazing sound! Plus I scored it on CL for $550! The 68 was nice too but it has more bass which was hard to dial out.

12. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.