Help me scratch husband's Strat itch but with 24 3/4 scale

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Guitar Wife, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Guitar Wife

Guitar Wife Strat-Talk Member

That's a beautiful BLUE! But I don't have the option of removing the current neck. It's a fixed neck, G&L Tribute Ascari made in Indonesia. Kind of a trial guitar which didn't sell too well I think.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

This brings up another point - not sure if you're aware of this - but a set glued-in neck guitar with binding and finished body/neck/headstock...would practically need the entire neck and headstock back and sides refinished, if not the front too - in order to have a good cohesive refinish that isn't just on the body and won't look awkward or peel away.....when they finished it at the factory, it was all done in one shot.....

soulman969 and Believer7713 like this.
  3. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

cranky and Guitarmageddon like this.
  4. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Senior Stratmaster

I just wanted to say welcome @Guitar Wife and what a lucky guy your hubby is; my guess is no matter WHAT guitar style/color you end up with he will love it because you cared enough to do this for him.

LMSS

5. Guitar Wife

Thank you...I appreciate that. And I really do "get" that this is a long-shot, perhaps I should tell more of the background. I just didn't want to have to go into so much detail. He is already, at this moment, shopping around for this exact guitar!! I just snatched it up before he did! I know he wants it! Geez...I don't want to get any other guitar.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

In most cases yes that would be the way to do it. It could be stripped and then finished like the Charvel Desolation guitar line. they had a finished face on the headstock, finished body and a bare neck that was finished in gun stock oil. The DS-1 was a neck through and the DS-2, like mine, is a set neck.
    [​IMG]
    That's a LOT of work though.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I had the DS1 Pro Stock Cherry Sunburst with double SD 59 pickups - loved it! Only ended up selling it after like 5 years because I realized I love thick necks, and this one was very very thing.....

Believer7713 likes this.
  8. Guitar Wife

Yes, I know that. I know he wants this particular guitar.

Triple Jim likes this.
  9. Guitar Wife

I know you are trying to help me but I have this G&L guitar and I know he wants one. I don't want to get any other guitar. I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with vinyl wrapping of a guitar? And/or know of someone that does custom pick-guards.

10. Believer7713

I'll never get rid of mine because of the neck...and the fact that I wrote and recorded my wife's wedding march with it.:)

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  11. Guitar Wife

Yep, that would be a lot of work. Wasn't really looking for info on painting the guitar. I am looking for input from anyone who has had experience with vinyl wrapping of a guitar and/or someone who makes custom pick-guards. Thanks!!

12. Believer7713

As far as a pickguad for that carved top About the only thing I could do or suggest would be to sue a heat gun to heat one up and mold it to the shape of the guitar. Then you would more than likely need to take time to file the openings for the pickups because of the distortion from warping it to fit. Wrapping it would also require a little work with a heat gun or blow dryer to get the vinyl and a lot of patience...Even more than I have with the work I do with refinish paint work. Getting all of that vinyl to wrap around the compound radii would be a nightmare IMO. Not that it couldn't be done as I know a couple automotive wrappers that could do it but I just wouldn't be able as I am not skilled, nor patient, enough for that. There wouldn't be any possible way to do it without at least a couple seams.

Guitar Wife likes this.
  13. space

space Strat-O-Master

deleted

14. Guitar Wife

Yeah, I have looked at a couple of the wrap websites..axewrap and skinyourskunk and I don't see anyway of doing it without a seam. I'm not gonna do it if it looks dorky. If I found a reputable place that did that kind of work, I would gladly pay, but there will still be a seam I am afraid. Without the blue the pick-guard wouldn't look right. So, maybe I won't do it. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with it. Thanks!!!

15. Believer7713

Another way that could be "blued" would be to find someone that could hydro dip it. If you look it up on youtube you will find many people that dip guitars in multiple colors but it can be done in a solid color also. the process is the same and it is a simpler process than pouring several colors. It will "wrap" the body in a solid color. If you could either find someone near you or could master it in a couple tries with a couple other pieces to get the feel for how it works it really isn't that hard to do.

FWIW, I think that guitar would be gorgeous in a LPB with that binding on it.

Guitar Wife likes this.
  16. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

My thought was maybe you could sell or trade the one you've got since modifying it is probably prohibitively expensive. Believer builds nice guitars and he one I got from him was very reasonable. You might be able to get exactly what you want, that way. He was looking for someone interested in that guitar once he finished building it.

Never hurts to ask...

EDIT: Sorry..didn't see the most recent posts. Appears you've got your mind set on trying to turn that into what it's not. A complicated undertaking under he best of circumstances.

Wish I had a recommendation on the skin thing. I was going to try that with a Tele someone had attempted to "relic" but I ended up selling the guitar. One of the sites...not sure if it was skin your skunk or another had a very good video of how to do it and not have any seams. I'd love to see how it comes out if you get it done..and know who you find to do it. I have a couple of relic'd bodies I don't care for and would like to try it myself.

Best of luck. Hubby's a lucky guy.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Guitar Wife likes this.
  17. Guitar Wife

What a finish that would be!! I actually have done a couple of things like that myself. I would love to paint this guitar myself. I know I could do it. I just am not at all comfortable with removing then replacing the delicate wiring, etc...I actually have done a lot of soldering too, but it's been many years ago. I don't even want to mess with it. Plus, hubby works from home since COVID...how do I work on it with him not knowing??? LOL I'm in a pickle, that's for sure. LOL

Lovnmesomestrat and Believer7713 like this.
  18. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

That is a beautiful guitar as it is. Good luck in your endeavor
    Just my 2c

Lovnmesomestrat and Guitar Wife like this.
  19. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

I really appreciate your attempt to try to give your husband what he wants. Truth be told, you have bitten off more than can be chewed. If you are adamant about keeping this guitar, I would suggest trying to capture the spirit of the other guitar rather than turn the guitar you have into something it will never be. Vinyl wrapping is not a good idea IMO. It will likely look bad and won't last. Refinishing the guitar is absolutely doable, but will likely cost as much if not more than you paid for the guitar. If money is not a concern and you must keep this guitar, take it to have it refinished in LPB, and then what I would do is have a set of these installed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G5DB8WF/?tag=strattalk05-20. That way you have the blue and tortoise but the guitar is still the guitar it's meant to be. Plus, it will truly be one of a kind. Other options are to give the guitar as it is, which I'm sure your husband will still be happy with. Or, sell it and buy a short-scale Stratocaster which then could be repainted to look exactly like that pic. Another option is a regular blue strat tuned down to Eb which will feel like a 24.75 but will be a genuine strat and those in blue are a dime a dozen.

20. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Spot on.

My initial thought on the op was Warmoth, also. Either all Warmoth, or procure a Strat body and order a 24.75" Warmoth Strat neck for it.

Chuck8436 likes this.