Help me with this Strats [Lots of pictures, warning]

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratles, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Stratles

Stratles Strat-Talk Member

I've been offered these two Strats for a Gibson les Paul I put up for trade (which is about 1500 for me). From what he told me:

-Fender American Deluxe: all original except for the pickups.

-Fender Japanese Stratocaster: he doesn't know exactly what model it is. He told me it's all original except for the pick guard, electronics and pickups.

I'm tempted by this trade because I have a thing for Strats, but I don't want toast blindly here, so I ask you guys for some insight. I

I'm mostly worried about the Japanese as I don't even know which model it is. My main concern is one of them being a partcaster or something. What do you guys think?

Here is the Japanese:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stratles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the American Deluxe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Stratles

4. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Both Strats are are hard tailed......I think both Strats are worth about 1500.00.

I bet the necks are sweet.....:thumb:....I would do it but i am a Strat guy

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Bellingjam and Stratles like this.
  5. Stratles

Yep I saw the washers too. What do you think about these Strats? My main concern is them not being original. As far as the bodies, necks and hardware are original I think I'm happy. I would also like to know what exact model that Japanese is.

6. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

All original except for..... Always leaves me wondering. If you plan on Taking it back to original specs then have you priced out the proper original replacement parts?
    The Japanese one you are basically trading for the wood..

Not trying to be a wet blanket but it depends on what your plans are and if they are worth the dollar value in exchange when you reach your end state.

VB Strat likes this.
  7. Stratles

Well, If it's only the pickups and electronics I don't really care, I wouldn't want a partcaster though.

8. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

dont do it..sell your les paul and buy a strat you like.... something just dont look right here

Strat-Slinger likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

1994/5 ST-362 Japanese Standard. Not the top of the range by a long way. Those two guitars don't say anywhere close to 1500 to me, unless we're talking Aussie dollars...

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I would not do this trade @Stratles - that Fender Japan Strat is an ST-362 from 1989/90, and having the pickups and everything changed LOWERS the value.....doesn't raise it....it's worth about $350 US in this condition....it also has the wrong bridge - that is not original - should have been a big full size block and Fender stamped saddles. Further lowering value....

The Deluxe used is maybe $900 or so.....that's not $1500.....

Something else to notice - look at how dirty and grungy the strings and fretboard are on both - yes you can clean them - but what does that say about the owner of these guitars? He doesn't care enough to treat them properly....

Yves, electroplasmolog and Stratles like this.
  11. Stratles

Actually it’s 1500€. I think I’m gonna pass, I don’t want to lose that much money. Really appreciate your help Sir, what an eye.

Thank you too Guitarmaggedon. How do you guys noticed so quickly which model it was? Especially considering it’s modified. Amazing.

Nate D likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

1989/90 - I serial....

But you're bang on about the valuation...

altar likes this.
  13. altar

altar Former Member

The Japanese one has a 1989-90 serial number and is one of the cheaper models, it does look like it was upgraded with American standard pickups and CTS pots though. The deluxe looks like it may have had the pickups swapped out judging by the covers to Kinmans which are expensive. Probably worth about $1000-$1200 for both here in the states.

Yves and Guitarmageddon like this.
  14. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

What kind of les paul

15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I read it as T, darned tiny screen... Yup, it's a bit older.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  16. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

I have an original 62 Corvette. The body has been replaced, the seats are new, the transmission and engine are from a different year. The top was replaced a while ago. the windows were all broken when the car burned to the ground and melted, but I was able to save the lug nuts from the right front tire, as it was off at the time because I was replacing the wheel. Otherwise all as from the factory. Asking 2.4 million.

Will Lefeurve and fattboyzz like this.
  17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

If I had one that I knew was worth $1500 , I would not take these 2 for it.

Take the corroded mij out and put in another one . Then maybe

18. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

I've got my great grandfather's axe that he built his first log cabin with when he came here as a pioneer. The head's not the same one and the handle's been replaced several times. But it still his axe.

OP, not knowing where ska is (I thought it was a music style...) I would sell the Paul and get the Stratocaster(s) you want.

Something about the MIJ looks a bit off, even with the WD Music loaded PG.

19. robotguitar

robotguitar Senior Stratmaster

There cool strats but a 1999 slightly beat up deluxe is worth around $700 in my opinion. Probably a total of around $1100 for the two strats.

20. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Sell the LP. You can get a excellent condition deluxe for 800-900. Why would you really need two? Also, look at how badly the frets are dinged on the Deluxe. Specifically the g-e strings. That to me says at least -$200 in value instantaneously. Someone has already recrowned the frets on the Japanese notice there is a remnant of a former ding on the far right fret.

I wouldn't do it. Not in this lifetime. Unless they were some kind of crazy special edition that was very limited.

Strat-Slinger likes this.