Join Strat-Talk Today

Help me work out a fair price for this Eric Johnson (2005) Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Neil_R_82, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Neil_R_82

Neil_R_82 Strat-Talk Member

Hi guys,
    Need a little help with a fair price for a guitar my friend is selling - It's a pretty nice Eric Johnson strat, from the first run in 2005 - It's all stock aside from the nut which looks like it's been replaced with a graph-tec nut. He has the original case, the lead it came with, and all the case candy too. The issue is it has been gigged pretty heavily and has a lot of wear to the body and the neck from use. Thus, its difficult to work out what the value of the guitar actually is now. I know that in 'good' condition they usually go for about £1k (more or less) on the 'bay, but with this level of wear...
    I've done my best to attach imgur pics so you can all see for yourselves - hopefully this works..
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]( )
    [Imgur]( )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]( )
    [Imgur]( )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )
    [Imgur]( )
    [Imgur]([​IMG] )

I have it on loan so I can take more/different pics if required -
    Thanks fellas (and ladies), appreciate the help :)

R-Dizzle and Demon Dave like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum!! In the UK these sell for about 1800 quid new. So, a fair price for a mint example can be as high as 1100-1200 in some cases. This one however has lots of damage and wear. I'd say like 800 or so at most. It also has significant fret wear and flat spots, and it's going to need a level and crown soon if not right away.

How much is your friend asking? Sometimes people think their gear is worth more than it is......and with friends it can be difficult to negotiate.

3. Neil_R_82

He's looking for £900 - I was wondering if that might be a bit high considering the wear though

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I don’t view the guitar as damaged, just heavily worn. I’ve been noticing on both Reverb and EBay, that a lot of guitars will fetch more money because of the natural wear the guitar has from being played...same reason reliced guitars are so popular right now. I think with this guitar, the main factor that will effect the price is the condition of the frets. But IMO I think I you would be able to get $900-1000 for it. Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

I think that is a bit high considering the ‘wear’, especially the frets....

6. Theblues15

Theblues15 Strat-Talk Member

worn guitars mean they are good guitars. I'd try to get $1000 if i were him.

7. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

I thought along the same lines, the wear is showing she's a player. I think if you listed it at 900 quid, you could settle at something in the 800 range, maybe 750 at worst. Assuming she plays well with those worn frets and all.

Guy Named Sue and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Neil_R_82

All his guitars are worn, he's been a gigging/touring musician for over 40 years :p
    It's a good guitar, there's no doubt of that, i'm just trying to work out a price that's fair to us both :)

Andrew Wasson and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

900 is unrealistic and too high - I wouldn't let your friend rip you off like that honestly.

a fret level and crown can cost 150.....and it needs it....

Andrew Wasson, Demon Dave and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. Neil_R_82

Seems to play pretty well, it's actually very similar as a guitar to an 87 Strat Plus I have - I do like the feel of it. Bit concerned about the frets though, there's wear, and there's 'worn'. How do I know if the frets are at the point where they really need to be redone, vs just being 'on the way there'. I love guitars but i'm not a professional, so it won't get nearly as much use with me as it does with its current owner, meaning that if they're just on the way to being worn out they'll last a lot longer with me and therefore not be such a priority to get redone, if they dont already need doing.

Hope that sentance makes sense - it's been a long day!

11. Neil_R_82

Just wanted to say thank you as well to everyone that has chimed in so far - all opinions are valid and appreciated :)

Andrew Wasson and Theblues15 like this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

The middle point of the rounded fret top is where the note is....when properly intonated that high crown point is the last to touch the string....

Flatter frets move that intonation/note point forward on every fret that is flat....so it is slightly out of tune, as well as probably not able to have as low of a string height....

13. Neil_R_82

Are you talking dollars or pounds? I'm in the UK so..

He's defo not trying to rip me off, we've both looked at it and gone "well, we don't know what its worth, lets find out and go from there' kinda thing. We were basing it of fairly 'pristine' ones being in the 'sold' section of the e bay for around £1k (although there are a couple that went for less, also fairly pristine looking) so its a questoin of how much that wear knocks off the price while being a fair and accurate price for us both. But there's no ill feeling or trickery, the guy is literally my best mate in the world, we're like brothers :)

14. Guitarmageddon

I'm talking QUID UK pounds and have been since the very beginning, since you live in the UK. :)

I know the UK market. Fair and accurate to me is not 900, because after you spend the money on a level and crown you're at like 1000-1050, and you could have bought one online in near mint shape for that price.....

Just trying to help you not get what I feel is 'hosed' - because you couldnt sell it for 900 later very easily at all. You'd take a loss.

15. Neil_R_82

Ah, cool - was just double checking the £/$ thing to be sure. Yeah I don't want to hose myself either, what do you think would be a fair price then?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  16. Guitarmageddon

Yeah 800 at most because it's going to need proper fret level and crown very soon as said if not straight away in order to have proper intonation and playability.....

I'd like to see you buying it and having the work done on the frets and be into it for no more than 900 in all.

This of course is just one man's opinion but I have an excellent memory and have been price tracking for years.....

17. Neil_R_82

No no, by all means that is very useful information and exactly the sort of advice and experience I was hoping for.
    I don't think i'd ever be looking to resell it, at least not for a long time - I tend to hang on to nice things when I get them. Either to pass down the line when I reach the end of it, or to sell for profit in 30 or so years when I'm old and grey and need to top up whatever pension the state leaves me with! I mean, a guitar like this, in 30 years, it will surely appreciate in value, right?

Incidentally I did some googling, you're pretty much bang on with how much a refret will cost. So, kudos to you good sir!

18. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn’t let 100 bucks come between friends. Offer him 850 if you must, splitting the difference between 8 to 900. Or just pay him the 900. It’s tuff when buying gear from friends.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Stratwrangler likes this.
  19. Neil_R_82

Good point, but not an issue in this case. Of the heaven and hell that we've been through, across various continents and decades, this isn't going to be something that causes a ripple. But it's still a good point to make and I appreciate the input :)

Andrew Wasson and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue I don't seem able to get it straight in my mind... Strat-Talk Supporter

First off, the nut being changed makes me hesitant. Why did it need changing these come with a perfectly fine nut. Did the action change that much that a new nut was required?

And second, that sticker, whether you like it or not has done serious damage to the guitar. Even if you take it off it will have left a very visible mark that you'll never get rid off unless you refinish the body.

You got serious ground to bring down the price. But that sticker would send me searching for another one.

Stratoskater and Guitarmageddon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.