Join Strat-Talk Today

Help needed – Can't hear myself in rehearsal

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by velvet_man, May 9, 2019.

1. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

For background, I take a small 15 watt head to band rehearsals since all of the rehearsal spaces we use have 4x12 Marshall cabs in them. The cabs are usually positioned against the walls on the sides of the room, and I just left them there at first. But then the other guitarist in the band recommended that I turn it to face me more since it seemed to be too loud for him. Since then, I've angle the cab so it's sort of at a 45˚ angle between facing me and facing the band/other side of the room.

But at the last two rehearsals, the other guitarist complained that I was still too loud. So I turned down a bit, but then I couldn't hear anything I was playing. And for what it's worth, at the last jam, the bass player and drummer (who are kind of beside/behind) my amp/cab said they couldn't hear me very well even before I turned down.

And to be clear, I don't try to play super loud to begin with. I try to set my volume so that I'm actually a bit lower than the other guitarist since it's his band and I'm the new guy.

The only thing I can think is that the way the rooms are laid out, even with the cab angled toward me, it's still sort of facing the other guitarist since he's just across the room from me (and it's a small room). So that could be why it sounds louder to him than everyone else. I also wonder if I'm standing too close to it since it's on the floor and I can't angle it up, so that could be why it sounds quieter to me.

But none of that helps a whole lot. What I need it to figure out how to set up a 4x12 cab in a small jam space so that everyone can hear it evenly, or at the very least so that I can hear it without it being too loud for anyone else.

Tips?

circles and Jesse414 like this.
  2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

You sure you aren't glossing over that whole "other guitarist" part?

If everyone else can't hear you, but he says you're too loud, something strange is afoot.

Most likely ego-related.

For what it's worth, I'd just point each of your own amps directly at yourselves, and play the song that way. I don't think most two guitar bands monitor the other guitar that much. I never think of Pearl Jam or the Stones doing that, but I may be wrong.

LeicaBoss, dueducs, hexnut and 10 others like this.
  3. DJGranite

DJGranite Strat-O-Master

Maybe try turning the cab to face the wall behind you?
    It has helped me a few times when things get too trebly for bandmates...
    Just a thought.

4. Jesse414

Jesse414 Strat-O-Master

I can't begin to imagine 2 half stacks in a small room with 2 guitarists drums and bass. With those speakers it must sound chaotic. My idea would be 1×12 cab for each guitar much easier to get the sound directed and even the levels with the other players. 4×12s is such a wall of sound I don't think you will ever get the sound levels right for everybody in a small room. Just my opinion. Happy jamming:)

5. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

The shape of the room has a lot of influence on things. The other guy may be standing in the one place in the room where that cab sounds loud, so I suggest standing there while you play, just to get a better idea what he's hearing.

A cab that's at most waist high--you're not going to be able to hear it unless you're eight or ten feet away (or sitting down). In a small practice room, it's likely he doesn't realize how loud his own guitar is over where you are.

6. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

I agree with Jesse that a 4x12 is some what of a over kill. But have you tried to use a monitor. or stand closer to the 4x12 I am assumeing that you are the only one running in to the one cab, If every one is using the Cab then you would need a monitor to hear only your self.

velvet_man and Jesse414 like this.
  7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

That was my first thought or hang a blanket over the speakers. Sometimes when people say it's too loud, they mean there's too much treble.

8. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Is the 4x12 the angled (normally top of a double stack) or the slant cab?

Are you driving the 4x12 with 15w ?

velvet_man likes this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

1x12 pointed at your own head.

joe_cpwe, Textele, fezz parka and 2 others like this.
  10. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Bring a longer cable to the next rehearsal and just walk on over to where he is and see how it sounds.

s5tuart, roadhog96, RadioFM74 and 7 others like this.
  11. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

There's one guy I jam with who I asked to turn down a few times, doesn't last long, eventually I asked him to point the amp away from me. I think he too, didn't know how loud he plays, as even though he puts his combo on elevation, it's still at his waist, ironically even more pointed at my ear. I also think he's a good player, but less experienced in group situations.

Where we jam is a cool odd shaped space, a trapezoid (really the inside of huge, retired bank safe), so standing waves are slightly less and issue.

I have been playing through the provided half stack (which is so cool by the way), but I keep the master under control. Having that wonder spread of speaker though is nice, and need not be cranked. Plus since it's provided - no load in/out!

velvet_man and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Most of the time we are standing too close to our own cabs and they are shooting noise out at ass level. Doesn't work that well unless you have ears on your butt.

Bowmap, Robins, velvet_man and 2 others like this.
  13. dirocyn

I also had the thought about treble. Some people are real sensitive to it (myself included) and a lot of us have damaged hearing and can't hear it at all. We had a thread about it that was active last summer...there was a link to a hearing test, to see how high you can hear (or how high your equipment can reproduce). Ah, here's that thread. http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/how-high-do-you-go.448599/ If you can't hear above 9k and he can, that's surely part of the problem.

14. dirocyn

That was my band, back in the early 90s. Except it was one half stack with 80w, one full stack with 50w, a drummer--and my 280w bass rig. Fortunately it was a pretty big room with no furniture in it. Yeah, we had the cops show up a few times for noise complaints. And yeah, I've still got the tinnitus. Right about 9k in my right ear. I blame the cymbals.

velvet_man, Jesse414 and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Tough situation since you need to have everyone cooperating. Seems like everyone is too loud.

16. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

See bold above.

If the other players can't hear you well but this fella says you're too loud....well....do the math. Matt nailed it above. E-G-O.

And...bring your own cabs. 4×12 are for sport arenas not a small rehearsal space. :)

hexnut, Groovey, roadhog96 and 6 others like this.
  17. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm going to try out some of your suggestions next jam.

To answer some questions that came up, I'm using a 15 watt head into the 4x12, and I'm only using such a big cab because that's what already the room. The whole reason I bought the small head was so that I could take everything in and out in one go since this is the sort of place where you don't ever want to leave anything unattended, even for a minute. The other guitarist uses a 40 watt 2x12 combo.

He plays a PRS with humbuckets and I play a strat with single coils, so the treble thing might be part of it. Though I took that test and I can hear up to 16k, and I'm about 15 years younger than the rest of the band, so I should be hearing more treble than they are.

As for the cab, it depends on which room we get. Some have the strait cabs and others have slant cabs. It was a slant cab the most recent time.

Also, standing 8 to 10 feet away from it just isn't possible in these rooms. I barley have room to turn around without bumping into someone, so I end up standing right next to or in front of the cab. There are PA speakers in the room for the vocals, but all of the mics are already being used since we have three vocalists.

Here's the website for the place. When I opened it in my phone just now, it showed a picture of one of the rehearsal studios at the top. That should give you a good idea if what I'm working with. https://www.pandorasboxstudios.com/

18. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

that's why I hate having more than one guitarist in the band.
    I'm lucky in this situation, however, because I don't have that problem. Jimmy plays rhythm and we never have a problem with volume.
    but yeah.....95% of guitarist will tell you that you're too loud, even if they can't hear you.
    turn it up and tell him to pound sand.

joe_cpwe, hexnut, Groovey and 7 others like this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Stand in front of each others amps, where you can turn each other up and down...

The room looks like you could both use Micro Cubes and still be too loud. :D

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

I think the best suggestions, are to setup across from your amp, he sets across from his. Your amp against the opposite wall. That way, you get the full on-axis level, he gets the softer, off-axis level. The drummer will have to back off or something in that tiny room. Otherwise, you guys are headed for hearing damage. 15W dimed is too much for that small of a room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.