Help! overpriced 90s usa fender strat?

PlayerOne

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Charlotte, nc
For what it's worth, the black plastics would have sealed the deal for me. And considering the trade you offered, you'll come out just fine. I hope that the case is included in the deal.
By the way, what color is that listed as?

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
That is a legit 1999 Fender American Standard Strat.

The pickguard, knobs and pickup covers have been changed from the original white ones, but that's no big deal.

The stainless steel frets are what many would consider an upgrade.

I don't know what the current market value is like where you live, but €1,200 seems fairly reasonable if you factor in the cost of the refret.

1990/91 or so wouldn't it be? Didn't the 1999's have the spaghetti logo? I think this was the N9 serial prefix was a Fender F up originally until they corrected it.....

I really don't know about all that. I was simply going off the N9 number.

Regardless, it's a legit '90s era American Standard Strat.

Just confirming that @Guitarmageddon is correct - this one is a circa 1990-91. Fender had a serial number goof when they were switching out of the E9xxxxx numbers. A "true" 1999 Fender will have the script logo on the front and the serial number on the back of the headstock.

Fender serial number decals are 2 pieces - "part A" has the words "Serial Number" and the prefix that indicates the year, and "part B" is a number decal. Back then the "part A" only had the letter that corresponded to the decade, the first digit of number was to indicate the year. So the "E9xxxxx" numbers were made up of a "part A" that said "Serial Number E" and a part B that was "9xxxxx". Fender ran out of the part A with the "E" before they ran out of the part B that started with a "9", so they put together part A decals with an "N" and part B decals that start with a "9" instead of switching to part B decals that start with a "0".

Fender switched to using part A decals that included the digit for the year starting in 1992 - the part A now said "Serial Number N2".

elateditse

Strat-Talk Member
May 23, 2022
Moldova
For what it's worth, the black plastics would have sealed the deal for me. And considering the trade you offered, you'll come out just fine. I hope that the case is included in the deal.
By the way, what color is that listed as?
really don't know the color's name...i think it might be 'lake placid blue' or something, it's not listed in the ad.. i'm not an expert in fender guitars..

elateditse

Strat-Talk Member
May 23, 2022
Moldova
as an update, i might be able to get this strat this sunday... btw, there is a 2000s american strat in black colour with maple freboard for 950euros, but i don't like black simply because it reminds me of those Squier Bullet Strats (nothing wrong with those, just personal taste)..
and a 90s USA fender deluxe strat (sunburst with lace sensor pickups, for 1650 euros, and a 2002 fender usa deluxe strat (daphne blue) with regular alnico for 1550euros, but its so much money,😅, so i'll take the lake placid blue one i think... curious to hear about your opinion on those... i'll make a separate post for that

crawdaddy

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
Just an FYI: Fender offered "Gun Metal Blue" in 1990 on the American Standard Strat....so I would assume that that is the color of the guitar that you are looking at.

Also the model number would be: 10-7402-768

Enjoy the guitar....

elateditse

Strat-Talk Member
May 23, 2022
Moldova
Just an FYI: Fender offered "Gun Metal Blue" in 1990 on the American Standard Strat....so I would assume that that is the color of the guitar that you are looking at.

Also the model number would be: 10-7402-768

Enjoy the guitar....
it does look fairly accurate , to be honest..