Help - Pickup Covers Too Short/Tall

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Pisces One, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Pisces One

Pisces One Strat-Talk Member

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The Duncan Designed SC-101's have a slightly taller than normal coil......you can use other covers on them, the springs will hold them in place if theyr'e a bit short....there is no replacement cover that fits a Duncan Designed SC-101 perfectly.....

As for the Iron Gear, I'm not familiar with those.....

What pickup covers did you get? authentic fender? something else? what hole spacing?

3. Pisces One

Covers updated in original post.

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

No wonder!! Now I see why....

You're buying Mojotone brand single coil Mustang pickup covers....solid....they won't ever fit the Duncan Designed....because of the pole and coil height.....

Ditto with the other one, that's a Fishman brand solid plastic cover, it won't fit...

I don't think there's any solid covers on the market that will fit your pickups....

Solid covers aren't meant for these pickups.....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  5. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Do the single-coil covers fit over the top of the pickups? They are just too short, correct? You may be able to get away with using the pickup height spring under the cover and either have no spring between the cover and the pickguard, or have a cut-down spring between the pickguard and the cover (if you do that, make sure you put the sharper cut-down end of the spring against the cover)..

As for the humbucker cover, does it fit over the top of the humbucker? If so, you can use a dremel and cut the side of the cover down so that it is just taller than the pickup and then glue the plastic to the metal mounting tabs. If I were doing this I would leave longer strips on the mounting tab sides of the cover and then bend the plastic there to provide more plastic-to-metal surface area for the glue..

drivinsouth65 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  6. Pisces One

Yes, they are too short because they're meant for original single-coils. Are you asking me to trim the springs? The humbucker cover fits as well (mounting screws were cut b/c they were too long).

(Why glue the plastic?)

7. Stephen James

If you have enough/extra springs you can trim a set of springs to sit above the cover and use an uncut set of springs below, OR you can cut one set of springs in half and use one half above and one half below the cover. Again, if this were mine I would look for some 'tower' style springs to use, as they coil flatter when compressed, and I would use one set of short towers below and one set of short towers above, no cutting of the springs necessary. Here's a pic of a few different common springs:

[​IMG]

-Top: a standard humbucker mounting spring that ships with standard 1.25 inch 3-48 mounting screws, the spring is 40mm long and straight (not tower), with a 5mm diameter.
    -Middle: a 'tower' style spring, this one is stiffer (harder to compress) and works well for humbuckers, it is 25mm long and has 7.5mm diameter at one end and 5.7mm diameter at the other.
    -Bottom: a shorter 'tower' style spring, this one is not nearly as stiff as either of the springs above, it is 15mm long and has a 6.8mm diameter at one end and a 5.3mm diameter at the other.

I would recommend you get several sets of the shorter 'tower' springs and use them as described above, here's an ebay link (I have no affiliation with the seller, just bought from them in the past)..

8. Stephen James

Don't worry about glueing the plastic unless you are forced to cut the mounting tabs off, glueing would do the same thing as soldering a chrome cover to the baseplate of an open-coil humbucker.

I'd want the cover to be able to slide along the mounting screw freely so I would first want to punch out the threaded insert, this is probably epoxied in so it may not be easy and you may crack or otherwise destroy the mounting tab in the process if you aren't careful. You could leave the threaded insert intact, but you may run into problems if both the humbucker baseplate and the cover are threaded on the same screw. If you do leave the threaded insert intact you would only need to put a (shorter) spring between the cover and the pickguard.

Then I'd look for a way to get the cover past the baseplate of the humbucker, I would probably cut away the plastic at the sides with a dremel (cutting up to just below the perfect height), so that the only thing left of the original cover height is the mounting tabs, and, if at that point it still doesn't fit, you could then cut those off and glue the cover to the baseplate. Here's a pic illustrating what I would cut:

[​IMG]

That is what I would do, but I do it realizing there may be frustration and a total loss of the cover if I went this route.. Or, everything could work out exactly as it does when I mentally simulate it, and look awesome..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020