Join Strat-Talk Today

Help with a Partscaster (based on a 1959)

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by PinaTheOne, Feb 10, 2020.

1. PinaTheOne

PinaTheOne Strat-Talk Member

So Basically I always wanted a partscaster, but not a completley diferent one, just a fender that I liked. The guitar view that I always had in mind was the fiesta red finish. Recently I got myself some money and decided I wanted to build a partscaster, with the look of a 1959 fender stratocaster.

Well, not exactly based on a real one, since in 1959 maple necks on fiesta red strats dissapeared, but still, I want a normal fiesta red 1959 just with a maple neck (neck also 1959, with no truss rod ajusting on the headsstock). I'm from portugal so it is a bit difficult to buy parts from different places.

I have a budget of 450€ ($491,10). Right now, since I have little money, im buying everything exept the eletronics, and since i have a squier that I don't use, i'll be putting the eletronics from the squier temporarily.

In the last few days I found a site called Northwest guitars. It is from the UK so shipping is cool. They have the specs I need for a early 1959 strat look (the closest I found), the tunners, the bridge, the neck, the 8 hole 1-ply pickguard, etc.

There are only a few things that are not acurate, which are the 10mm tunner holes on the neck, the tunners have two lines with kluson deluxe writen instead of one, and the bridge sadles don't say "Fender Pat Pend" But those are things I can change when I have more money.

But I started to wonder if im not choosing the right store, maybe there is a better alternative for a more acurate body or something cheaper, that's where I need your help to find a accurate and cheap body/neck for a better price and that.

Also, I like relic guitars, but im ok with them not having a relic.

Here are some pictures, like my cart list at Northwest Guitars and a photo of something that looks like what im looking for list1.png list2.png strat.jpg

fergyuk, Groovey and Guy Named Sue like this.
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to Stratocaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

That looks like an exciting project. Maybe we can help you somewhat. We have a thread here where members give away stuff they don't need to others that can find a good use for them. A couple of guys there have pickups and pickguard for offer that haven't been snagged yet, take a look around and contact them.

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/pay-it-forward-strat-talk.533169/

3. PinaTheOne

Thanks for the help i'll give it a look

4. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-Talker

This looks fun and I’m the first guy to jump on the partscaster bandwagon, but so far you’re ~€440 into this and you haven’t even gotten to the electronics which will be another couple hundred. Why not just buy a Strat, that way you’ll get the setup and the warranty?
    I understand if you want to do it yourself because that’s a lot of fun.

Squier makes a 50’s in fiesta red. I’ve played one and they are EXCELLENT!
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squie...classic-vibe-50s-stratocaster/0374005500.html

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

This is really hard to argue with.

It's almost exactly what the OP wants to put together.

The only potential issues are Squier-phobia, bridge string spacing and, wow, not much else.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

6. ThebiggestJerk

Squier’s are ****ing amazing these days... every bit as good as their slightly overblown egotistical sister - Fendy.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

The electrics will be in the hundreds only if you buy name brand pickups. There are some excellent and very inexpensive ones around now. I have a couple sets myself.

PinaTheOne likes this.
  8. ThebiggestJerk

IMHO the most important expense on an electric is the pickups.... go big or go home. Why buy an expensive neck and body and then skimp on the electronics- the interface between the guitar and amp?

9. ThebiggestJerk

Here’s another. If you are a stranger to soldering and are not familiar with wiring a Strat you can easily ruin expensive components that can add up quickly. Strat wiring is involved and mistakes can easily turn into wiring nightmares. Just saying. I do multiples weekly.

10. Pisces One

Pisces One Strat-Talk Member

Hi Pina -

Can you make a spreadsheet of every part you'll need? It will greatly help. I'm also seeing 25 pickguard screws, when you just need 14*. Try here.

*8 for pickguard, plus 6 for backplate.

IronGear makes pickups in the UK. Strat models here.

PinaTheOne likes this.
  11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

I have no fear of the Squier name on my guitar, I play out with my Tele CV all the time. I changed the control plate (pots, switch, knobs) for harder use and the pickguard for esthetics.

It has the best neck I have ever played, and I own Martin, Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker and Fender. The A3 pickups are killer, too.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ThebiggestJerk likes this.
  12. ThebiggestJerk

Got the same only in blonde. The neck....love the frets too.

13. ThebiggestJerk

Some would rather have a Jerry-rigged broken guitar they built themselves with no name than have the a Squier.
    I’ll take the Squier masterpiece.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Because price and quality of sound don't always go together today.

15. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-Talker

Agree with the general premise, but don't agree that you have to buy super expensive booteek pickups to get a sound you like. Some of my favorite sounding pickups are cheapies I bought on GFS to try on a lark. There's got to be a thread here (or three) on the diminishing returns of spending huge money on pickups?

Beside, OP says he wants a 1959 style Strat...I don't think anything rolling off the line in 1959 would pass today's cork -sniffing standards. Think ballsy, brassy Buddy Guy on Cobra Records tone. In other words...think CHEAP.

Triple Jim likes this.
  16. ThebiggestJerk

good to have a few extra

17. ThebiggestJerk

totally agree...
    But
    You also get what you pay for. Feels like putting hubcaps on a Ferrari.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  18. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

If you go the Stratovarious route, ditch the thick single-ply pickguard and the slotted tremolo cover. Both detract from your stated goal. Those things are inexpensive, so get something closer to standard (for a '56-'59 resissue/clone/copy)
    I have a tortoise shell 4-ply with 9-holes (more correct for transition 59s). I can send it to you if you like. If not, there is a great source of stuff from the U.K. (they sell vintage style bridges w/ Pat Pend saddles for metric guitars like the MIM) and another from Germany that is more costly, but more accurate and non-metric.

For the tuners, either get Fender/Gotohs with no writing or get single line Klusons. I think the Klusons can be gotten from Germany and the Gotohs can be gotten from eBay (if you have access to eBay). I am in Turkey, so I know how difficult it can be to get stuff imported, but trust me, you'll like the end product better if you take your time.
    Also, when I built my '59 Mary Kaye replica, I collected a ton of images and info before assembling. It can make the final product also more satisfying.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted. Also, don't forget you have an amazing source of info and resources here at your finger-tips.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Willmunny, Ted J and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  19. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I would recommend good pickups, like the Fender Pure Vintage 59s (~$100), and an electronics kit with full sized pots and cloth wiring. I've seen some prewired kits from the U.K. for about 40-60 pounds.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  20. PinaTheOne

That ideia has crossed my mind and, economicly, it's a great deal, but i would love a guitar assembled by me and my dad, than a guitar already built by squier. Im no expert in building guitars, but before doing it on the real thing i will practice on some wood and that. And my dad has experience with soldering so, i think it's possible to do it with some wiring diagrams

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.