1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Help with battery clip for vintage pedal

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by StratPlus97, Sep 23, 2020.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

So I have a few vintage pedals without the dc adapter but take a battery. I purchased some adapters that have the battery clip and a female dc adapter on the other end. Are these supposed to be pin negative or positive? Also, how can I test them with my multimeter to know? I don’t want to just plug it in and blow up my pedals.
    Thanks for the help!

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

I have several of them and they should be pin negative. To test them attach them to a wall wart and test with a multimeter on DC voltage. The small ring should be positive and the big one should be negative.
    I looke ti use a 3D printed ring to run the wore through and keep from thrashing my pedal enclosures.
    20160927_132956.jpg
    20160927_133006.jpg
    20160928_015521.jpg

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  3. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

boss pedals pretty common IMG_1789.JPG

4. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

I do have some of those! Got them on eBay. How did you get them to light up?! Very cool

5. Believer7713

Thanks, I change the switch to a 3PDT and make them true bypass with an indicator LED. I put the LEDs inside under the circuit board with a piece of polyfoam between them and the board so they don't ground and then aim the LED's outward...BOOM! Instant Tron effects for my pedalboard.

6. Believer7713

Thanks, I change the switch to a 3PDT and make them true bypass with an indicator LED. I put the LEDs inside under the circuit board with a piece of polyfoam between them and the board so they don't ground and then aim the LED's outward...BOOM! Instant Tron effects for my pedalboard.

7. Believer7713

Thanks, I change the switch to a 3PDT and make them true bypass with an indicator LED. I put the LEDs inside under the circuit board with a piece of polyfoam between them and the board so they don't ground and then aim the LED's outward...BOOM! Instant Tron effects for my pedalboard

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

You won't blow up your pedal unless you hook it up to higher voltage than it will take. Wrong polarity is just no power.