Help with Floyd Rose Staying in Tune

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Boognish, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I changed out my strings on my Peavey Wolfgang this weekend and now I'm having issues with it staying in tune. The locking nut screws are as tight as I can getting them but when I slightly use the whammy bar, it goes out of tune. I did notice if I pull up on the whammy it raises in pitch and it's not a floating trem. I dont want to block it because I like using the whammy.

My first thought was strings slipping in the nut but it is tight. Maybe the springs are worn out?

Anybody got any ideas?
    20201123_162105.jpg
    20201123_162143.jpg

2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Don't over tighten any of the screws. If the strings are tight at the bridge and nut, it just may be the new strings.

Did you stretch the strings real good before locking down the nut?

Are you new to this guitar or are you used to using a Floyd Rose?

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Well first of all, it's not setup right, FR bridges are set so when floating, they are level/parallel to the body, not down in front and up in the back. It needs to be balanced - you're going to have binding issues the way it is now. Secondly, you have to keep stretching the strings over and over until no notes drop when using the bar or bending.....

4. Boognish

I've had it for 15+ years but never used it because of this issue. I stretched and stretched the strings prior locking the nut. Actually tightened the nut this afternoon after playing it all weekend without he whammy.

5. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My 2 year old EVH Wolfgang had a similar issue when it was new, but the Floyd Rose on mine is simpler with only dives possible. So set-up was relatively easy with only a few adjustments necessary (mostly on the G string for some reason), but after about a month it has stayed "rock steady". I like the Floyd with the only "issue" being that it is quite complicated. But it does really do some cool dives!!

Boognish likes this.
  6. Boognish

Same as my Floyd. Dives only.

7. joe_cpwe

I would definitely adjust the springs. Add/remove as needed + adjust claw so the Floyd is parallel to the body, or decked back if you want to go down only.
    The angle of that Floyd has got to be uncomfortable to play.
    One Kramer I have set to float, is parallel to body but routed out so I can pull up, 3 springs.
    The other Kramer I have only has two springs but is decked, but goes down smooth.
    All that to say it depends on the tension of the springs as to what/how to adjust.

Boognish and StummerJoe like this.
  8. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

The Wolfgang should be set flush to the body so tighten the screws claw in the back to pull it down level.

Try that and then we’ll go from there.

9. joe_cpwe

Alos...you've got a D-Tuna on there. That won't work if the bridge is floating, can pull back. D-Tuna works with a down-only trem. Reason is that when you release tension, down to D, if you're on a floating trem everything will go out of whack.

Boognish, StummerJoe and CB91710 like this.
  10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

If that Floyd is supposed to be dive only then start by tightening the springs to deck the bridge. Then set it up.

11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Hey Jamison, remove the lock blocks from the nut and tighten the screws that bolt down the nut, be they under the lock blocks or if you have two of the Allen head types that got through the back of the neck.

also make sure that the string retainer bar has enough downward angle so that the strings not only contact the nut at the front edge, but so that the strings are full contacting the nut surface as they exit the nut.

adjust the spring claw until the Floyd is in full contact with the top of the guitar and doesn’t dive the pitch when you are bending a string.

adjust the D-Tuna and I put a little blue loctite on the thread of the d-tuna’s adjustment screw after I have it tuned.

Lock down the nut and fine tune if necessary.

‘Do all of this and you will be in love with that guitar again.:thumb:

12. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

As an aside, some of us change our FR strings one at a time.

DJGranite, train, Boognish and 2 others like this.
  13. Believer7713

Really only need to do that on a floater. If it's decked it won't matter at all.

14. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

Mine floats wild, and free. Now, if I can only find a black trem bar that fits.
    [​IMG]

The_Whale, Believer7713 and Boognish like this.
  15. Boognish

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to tighten the springs and also tighten the string retainer bar and go from there!

16. Believer7713

Show me a clear picture of the end of the bar. If it's what I think it is then I may know where to look.

17. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

you have to put the exact same set of strings on you took off or different gauges of strings will throw off the previous adjustments.

DJGranite and Boognish like this.
  18. bustoff

bustoff Strat-Talker

In my personal experience with locking trems, the amount of string stretching needed to get the guitar to stabilize is "always just a little bit more" with new strings.

19. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Gold Supporting Member

The locking nut screws should be just a bit beyond snug, not as tight as you can get them. Also check the break angle at the top of the nut. If it looks like this:

[​IMG]

You would need to screw the string retainer bar down closer to the headstock to get the angle to look more like the pic below, so the string follows the curvature of the nut as it leaves out the top towards the pegs.

[​IMG]

Believer7713 and Boognish like this.