Join Strat-Talk Today

Help with next guitar please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Strathappyuk, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Strathappyuk

Strathappyuk Strat-Talk Member

I’m 16 months into my guitar journey and learned so far on a Les Paul cheaply and an Epiphone SG but the times come for a Strat. Was thinking about a Blacktop with dual Humbuckers but maybe I’m being too boring.

The new MIM Player Strats come in SSS HSS and HSH so these maybe perfect for me. I like classic rock so which would be the best configuration for that sort of crunchy tones? Don’t need metal, hate that, just classic rock etc.

Any advice is appreciated

Chris

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Sweatin' Bullets Strat-Talk Supporter

All three.

3bolt79 and StillAlive&Well like this.
  3. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

A telecaster!

4. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

If you can't get the "crunch" you're looking for with an LP and an SG, I don't think you'll find it with a Strat. A significant advantage of a Stratocaster is the single coil sound (think Hendrix, SRV, Clapton, Beck, Gilmour), especially the quack you get in positions 2 and 4. I feel like an HH Strat would merely duplicate what you already have with the LP and the SG. If you're going to go Strat, embrace the quack! Go for three single coils!

I know this is a Strat question, but what kind of amp are you using? When I was playing a good guitar through a crap amp, I was really frustrated. I was playing the notes/chords, but I wan't getting the sounds I wanted to hear. A good amp may be in order. It doesn't need to be expensive, either -- the Fender Mustang and the Boss Katana are both budget-friendly options with a wide range of sounds.

s5tuart, ukoldgit, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  5. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Strat-Talk Member

If you're going to get a Stratocaster for the classic rock sound, my opinion is that you should get an SSS model. A lot of the classic rock sound was pulled from the Stratocaster, Telecaster, and Les Paul.

I agree with Nadnitram in that the amp you play through it a big part of the equation. Personally, I only play through tube amps since I'm not a fan of solid state. I'm not sure what your budget is, but check out the new Marshal SV20H amp. I hear it's an awesome component for that classic rock sound.

3bolt79 and stratobiker like this.
  6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Chris - I guess the question is are you looking to replace the LP copy and/or the Epiphone SG or augment them with a Strat?

If you're looking to replace the others then go for the HSH or the HSS; the HSH will get you into the ballpark of your other guitars (as would the older Blacktop Strat). The HSS will get you some more of the classic SSS Strat tones but still give you the bridge humbucker.

If you want to add other tones to your toolbox then go with the SSS Strat - get those great Hendrix/Gilmour/Trower/Blackmore/etc. tones to add to the humbucker tones you already have covered with the other guitars.

AxemanVR likes this.
  7. Strathappyuk

Strathappyuk Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I have a Boss Katana 50 amp. I have no issue getting my tones through the SG but I do find it ergonomically dreadful hence the main need for the strat. I want to get the best strat experience but need it to sound good for songs like The Who, The Clash, etc and was worried the single coils wouldn’t cut it. I am ignorant with single coils and what they can do so that’s why I wanted your take on it.

Cheers
    Chris

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Get thee out and play some Strats. It's the only way to find out what suits you.

9. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I hear the Katana is a great amp--congrats. Keep in mind that different guitars will require different amp settings, regardless of which Strat you end up buying. I don't know that you "need" a Strat to perform songs from The Who, The Clash, etc, but you can certainly get there with the right Strat and the right amp/pedals settings. I'd suggest a slightly different approach--find 2 or 3 Strat guitarists whose tone you admire, and then add a Strat that give you *that* tone.

3bolt79 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Very true, even different Strats need different settings on the Katana and mine are all single coils.

3bolt79 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

What’s the ergonomic issue? All guitars present ergonomic issues, especially when standing and playing. Playing a Strat 25.5” scale is different than playing a Gibson 24.75” scale. I found the best guitar ergonomically for playing in a band was an ES335 type guitar. I could get any part of the fretboard I wanted and the finger stretch wasn’t so bad.

Playing single coils is different. Single coils require more gain than humbuckers to get breakup but... They have more tonal options and they sing. They aren’t as mid-scooped as humbuckers.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

At Euroguestock, we frequently play classic rock songs. I've used two different strats (one SSS, one SS Lil'59) and a Les Paul and I can pretty much do all the tones with any of them by twiddling a few knobs on my effects.

Any guitar will get close, tonally. Don't forget that Townshend used an SG mostly, then switched to a strat later in life, while the classic clash sounds are Tele based.

I understand what you mean about ergonomics with an SG - they often feel "all neck" and hang over to the side of your body. I personally have found that my LP DC hangs the best on my body.

And yes, the scale length difference isn't much, but it's enough to make the guitar feel very different (as well as the fretboard radius).

If you really want a strat, I'd advise going for a SSS model and at least 9.5" radius, or 12" if you can (player or EJ models). That way you'll get more different sounds from the humbucker guitars you have, but it will feel a little more familiar neck-wise.

Andrew Wasson and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  13. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

Just my opinion but if they were made in the last 10 years you've got an excellent guitar. Newbies have no idea how good y'all got it. Cheap guitars today are extreme value.

That said, if I were to buy a Strat I'd buy one with a full size humbucker in the bridge & a fat neck. I've yet to find a bridge single coil that I like & all the cool single coil tones I like are neck & neck middle.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

A Blacktop with dual humbuckers sounds good to me.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I just had a player HSH strat and I sent it back. It turns out I liked an American Special better. However it was a difficult decision on which to keep. There might be another HSH strat in my future though. In my case I don’t have another HB equipped guitar. So maybe a few months down the road I will get another one.

16. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Whatever you go for make sure the guitar has a swimming pool route, then you can change your pups to anything you like.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I think the new MIM bodies are HSH. I haven’t seen a pool route in a long time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.