Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Help With Pup Identification

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Opj77, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville
    IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0219.JPG Hey guys, great to be here in the forum. Just bought a 96 MIJ . Has the 62 reissue neck but the body is not the original. I was also expecting ceramic pups but surprised to see that wasn't the case when I looked under the hood. Wondering if anyone can help identify. I researched exhaustively before posting. Also, by looking at the neck pocket, can I assume that the body is still basswood?

Attached Files:

2. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Yup^^^^^^2nd generation

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville
    Thank you. What are these typically used in? What quality would say they are? I am new to the electric world.

6. Tone Guru

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    These were first used in both the '57 and '62 American Vintage Reissue (AVRI) guitars beginning in 1982.
    The design was revised around 1998 with less windings of different wire and the exaggerated magnet bevel seen here.
    The pickups have been available for retail sale, in Custom Shop guitars and some other more recent models.

They are top quality, all 3 are the same and there is no RWRP middle in the set shown.

Textele likes this.

7. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville
    Thank you. Great info. Any idea on the body wood? Looking at the trem block, I believe the body is a MIM but not certain. A little baffled that nothing is stamped on it.

8. Tone Guru

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    No stickers or marks in the cavity routings ?
    Sorry not knowledgeable enough to offer help on the body but I suggest posting pix of the body routing.
    Someone will recognize something.

Regards

9. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

11. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville
    Thank you so much for responding. What do you see that tells you it is alder?

12. Guitarmageddon

The grain and color of the wood in the neck pocket in your first post

13. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville
    Gotcha. The real head scratcher with this guitar is that the body is not original to the neck. The original neck holes were filled and re-drilled and the neck pocket is considerably wider than the neck. I wish the body had markings just to know what I've got.

14. Guitarmageddon

Well, what is the serial number? the pickup routes and worm route and cavity route look EXACTLY like they should for Fender Japan....

If it was from the 1990s, not all of them had markings in the neck pocket....

Do you have markings on your neck heel?

We haven't seen the headstock or 12th fret dot markers of this Fender Japan neck so I can't even tell you if that is original/authentic yet...

15. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville

16. Guitarmageddon

Made in around 1997 for a V serial....and very common for Dyna Gakki which was making them at this time to have no markings in the neck pocket....

I honestly think the body and neck are 100% original together....

pickups and pots and switch aren't....

The fill and re-drill might have happened if it was mated to another body for a time....

Either that or this is a Fender Japan body that wasn't original to the guitar....

I do however 100% believe that body is Fender Japan late 1990s....

17. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville
    Wow thank you so much for the info. Was my assumption that all exported MIJ bodies in this era were basswood an inaccurate assumption?

18. Guitarmageddon

Yes, not accurate at all - the lower end models were basswood but the high end 'reissue' 57's and 62's were always alder, from 1984 until today.....

19. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville
    Assuming the body is not original but MIJ, any guess of value, with the changed pups and harness?

20. Guitarmageddon

about $450 I'd say - $550 if it was all original....maybe up to $50 more in each case with a nice hardshell case....

21. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Asheville
    Thank you so much. I paid $425. Great axe. When I first plugged it in, I thought it sounded ok. Then I threw on a set of Pure Blues and it just blossomed.