Help

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by mark b, Dec 25, 2011.

1. mark b

mark b Strat-Talker

Right I'm new to guitars started playing and taking lessons on a American strat about 10 months ago but I would like to get a small bodied acoustic to strum away in the house and any help and advise would be great
    Thanks
    Mark

2. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

Look for an OM model acoustic, nice projection and not a deep body as a D style acoustic. I am sure you can find one in just about any price range.

3. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member

What's your price range? If you want an amazing, small bodies acoustic, look for a Larrivee P-01, P-02, P-03, or if you want to spend a little more on a gloss model, the P-05.

Check out the soundclips of the P-05. I'm currently GASing for a P-05MT, all mahogany. IMO, there isn't a better parlor guitar on the market under 2k than the Larrivees.

If you want something bigger than a parlor, the OM or 00 models are good sizes as well. I have a Larrivee L-03. I paid $885 out the door, brand new for it. It's made in Vancouver, BC, all solid woods and it's a phenomenal guitar. It's much smaller than a Dreadnaught and not quite as curvy as an OM.

4. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

Hey Mark,
    I just found a Sigma guitar that will fit your bill if you can locate one. They were a guitar made in the 90's under the Martin name farmed out to 'made in Korea' under Sigma name. The models are the size of a 00 [15" lower bout x 4" deep] and are called GSC, Grand Concert Series and the #1 is the lowest cost to #7 the best made. My GCS-1 was under $100. See my post here "Good Deal Day" for pics. They're a great/well made inexpensive instrument.

5. mark b

mark b Strat-Talker

Thanks for the fast replies
    Looking to spend about £300 gbp so the Larrivee Is out
    Mark

6. Strategist

Strategist Strat-Talker

You might check out the Martin LX1E, Little Martin, under $400. Also check out their small body Mahoganys. Look for used for good prices.

7. mark b

mark b Strat-Talker

Went to a local guitar shop today to have a look and played with a tanglewood tw170 and it's not so small but was within my budget and its sound was really good

8. ckim715

ckim715 Strat-O-Master

All due respect, I would stay away from ANY LX series Martin. Although they may tout a solid top, their sides and back are HPL, which is like pureed plywood. Not worth the money. For a small bodied OM style guitar, I would look into one of Silver Creek's offerings. Yes, chinese made, but look at the reviews. Plus, solid top and solid wood back and sides. All it needs is a setup, and it plays wonderfully.

Silver Creek T-160 Acoustic Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

9. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Hey, I know you are in the UK, but I just picked out a nice acoustic for my brother, made by Art and Lutherie, made in Canada, for 300 bucks Canadian/US , I cant believe how good this thing looked and sounded! Solid spruce top, made in Quebec Canada by Godin. In my family we have a Norman, a Seagull and an A&L, all made by Godin, and all are great guitars even for twice the money.

My best advice when shopping is to close your eyes and open your ears, there are a lot of great looking guitars for cheap, but many sound like crap. Buy what sounds great within your budget.

Here is a listing for a UK distributor:

United Kingdom
    Blue Rock Distribution Ltd.
    Avonbridge House
    Bath Road
    Chippenham
    Wiltshire
    UK
    SN15 2BB
    Tel: +44 (0)845 388 1183
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Blue Rock Distribution UK - Tel 0845 388 1183